Blanik Stops Building Gliders

Old October 9th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default Blanik Stops Building Gliders

I was just forwarded a note from BLANIK AMERICA, INC (Vitek Siroky)
that Blanik has ceased producing gliders. However, he will still be
able to source parts.

Sad news. The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
club operations for many years.

- John
Old October 9th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

That is a shame! I did much of my initial glider flight instruction in a
Blanik L-13 and later helped our soaring club purchase an L-23 Super Blanik.
They are easy-to-fly and reliable aircraft.

There is no indication of a cease of production on the LET web site he
http://www.let.cz/index.php?sec=58

Paul Remde

Old October 9th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

ContestID67 wrote:
I was just forwarded a note from BLANIK AMERICA, INC (Vitek Siroky)
that Blanik has ceased producing gliders.

Lately I heard the rumour that Ford plans to cease producing the T model.

Sad news. The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
club operations for many years.

Indeed for very many years. Come on, the Blanik is a 60 year old design
with a L/D of less than 30! By these standards, even the venerable ASK
21 is a high performance ship!
Old October 9th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Oct 9, 1:22*pm, John Smith wrote:
ContestID67 wrote:
I was just forwarded a note from BLANIK AMERICA, INC (Vitek Siroky)
that Blanik has ceased producing gliders.

Lately I heard the rumour that Ford plans to cease producing the T model.

* Sad news. *The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
* club operations for many years.

Indeed for very many years. Come on, the Blanik is a 60 year old design
with a L/D of less than 30! By these standards, even the venerable ASK
21 is a high performance ship!

Brilliant analogy! That kind of thinking will keep a lot of folks from
soaring, it's already sorta expensive for a lot of us, in case you
haven't noticed.

Brad
Old October 9th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

ContestID67 wrote:
I was just forwarded a note from BLANIK AMERICA, INC (Vitek Siroky)
that Blanik has ceased producing gliders.

Lately I heard the rumour that Ford plans to cease producing the T model.

* Sad news. *The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
* club operations for many years.

Indeed for very many years. Come on, the Blanik is a 60 year old design
with a L/D of less than 30! By these standards, even the venerable ASK
21 is a high performance ship!

Great! We should all learn to fly in DG 1000's or Duo's I guess! Too
bad most clubs can't afford them. Not to mention that many places
don't have hangers, and glass ships don't seem to tolerate being tied
out endlessly as well as metal gliders. You are right about Blaniks
not being high performance planes, but the L/D of a trainer isn't very
important. Hell, I learned to fly at 23/1!
Old October 9th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I still fly at 23:1 and have a lot of fun doing it. Blaniks are the
backbones of many clubs, just like many old 2-33's and 2-22's our
there. like em or not they are supporting the sport in many areas.

Tony
Old October 9th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

ContestID67 wrote:
I was just forwarded a note from BLANIK AMERICA, INC (Vitek Siroky)
that Blanik has ceased producing gliders.

Lately I heard the rumour that Ford plans to cease producing the T model.

Sad news. The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
club operations for many years.

Indeed for very many years. Come on, the Blanik is a 60 year old design
with a L/D of less than 30! By these standards, even the venerable ASK
21 is a high performance ship!

Great! We should all learn to fly in DG 1000's or Duo's I guess! Too
bad most clubs can't afford them. Not to mention that many places
don't have hangers, and glass ships don't seem to tolerate being tied
out endlessly as well as metal gliders. You are right about Blaniks
not being high performance planes, but the L/D of a trainer isn't very
important. Hell, I learned to fly at 23/1!

Hell, I fly a powered plane that is about 3:1 at idle (maybe not even
that!)
Old October 10th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

3/1 glide? I doubt that. The Shuttle is better than that!
My Old Ford F-150 is better than 3/1.
Bob

Hell, I fly a powered plane that is about 3:1 at idle (maybe not even
that!) - Hide quoted text -

Old October 10th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

glider wrote:
3/1 glide? I doubt that. The Shuttle is better than that!
My Old Ford F-150 is better than 3/1.
Bob

Hell, I fly a powered plane that is about 3:1 at idle (maybe not even
that!) - Hide quoted text -

Ever flown a Corben Junior Ace? Open cockpit, tons of drag. Idle
descent will scare the crap out of ya the first time 1500 FPM down @
about 65 MPH (~5720 FPM), so 5720/1500 = 3.81. Oops, I did underestimate

Scott

Old October 10th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Sad news. The all metal L-23 has been a venerable 2-place glider for
club operations for many years.

Indeed for very many years. Come on, the Blanik is a 60 year old design
with a L/D of less than 30! By these standards, even the venerable ASK
21 is a high performance ship!

How does this diminish it's role as a trainer? Why would a club want
to waste a modern high performance ship with a 50:1 glide ratio doing
patterns and teaching the basics of flying?

If there are multiple lessons going on then they would need more than
one, and attempting the airbrake failure (slip to land) required for
checkout in a modern sleek ship seems like it would add even more
complications for a beginner.

Since a student pilot is not racing, but just flying in circles, I
don't see why he or she would care if it's 28:1 or 48:1.

-tom

are wooden gliders worthwhile building ? Stealth Pilot[_2_] Soaring 40 February 7th 08 06:06 PM
Navy stops video on YouTube [email protected] Naval Aviation 5 August 23rd 07 02:03 AM
Central Valley, CA stops xxx Piloting 11 May 2nd 07 12:18 AM
Fuel & Breakfast stops on the way to Oshkosh Eric Bartsch Piloting 7 July 20th 06 10:06 PM
Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.? Jay Honeck Piloting 33 June 9th 05 04:43 PM