Those Whacky RC DS guys

Old April 22nd 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Those Whacky RC DS guys

Adam wrote:

Eric,

The document is current. Read the following regarding current
developments in UAVs and current model practice (same as 1981):

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-2402.htm

I repeat, AMA is not "law", just a lobbying group and insurer. I have
no idea from where the 55 pound limit comes.

DS, slope and thermal planes can all easily exceed 400' but FAA
recommends against such activities.

What is your concern with today's modeling practices?

Just curiosity. I'm fascinated by how things have changed since I was a
big time modeler in the 50s and 60s, when I flew controline, free-flight
and RC gas and gliders (towed and hand launched), and then microfilm
indoor models while in college. Two buddies from college still do it,
one RC slope mainly, the other a wide variety (he even worked for Fox,
Estes, and Cox at various times), so I still hear bits and pieces about
the scene.

The development of autonomous gliders that's going on could almost get
me modeling again. I was particularly interested in the Canadian one
launched with a high altitude balloon, and figured out when to release
and how to get back home by itself.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old April 22nd 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Also, the thermal fliers regularly exceed the 400 feet, don't they?

Absolutely! When I flew thermal R/C sailplanes the winch launch height
was typically 400'+. After that the height was limited only by the
thermals and your ability to see the model. I'm sure 1000'+ AGL is
common, especially with a large span model. My open class model had a
146" span and was not hard to see "way up there". I recall several
cases where low flying GA aircraft flew *under* our models.

Regards,

-Doug
Old April 22nd 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

Some points to remember, currently 91-57 "Advises" only, and
Recreational model aircraft are flown "Line of Sight" or VFR if you
will.

Next, please remember that the vast majority of model aircraft pilots
are just as interested in safety as we are, and fly in areas that are
not normally flown by full sized planes. Most experienced modelers are
very aware of the power and risks of high spped model flight. Many
"Radar Operators" aren't aware of much more than the radar gun and
getting a high speed recorded, but after seeing one loss of control
incident, become believers in a car or large pile of rocks.

Yes they're a long way from stick & tissue and it's just as exciting
to them as when Bell & Jeager broke the sound barrier, or Lindberg
flew the Atlantic ( a model has done it! and more than 3 years ago).

As usual, laws and rule making are way behind the technology to do
things not even thought of 5, 10 or 20 years ago.

Have fun and stay out each others way!

Wayne

SSA: Good Guys & Bad Guys [email protected] Soaring 1 October 5th 06 04:11 AM
Guys, guys, guys -- the party is TOMORROW night! Jay Honeck Piloting 3 July 24th 05 05:26 AM
Guys Dummy Simulators 3 August 30th 04 12:58 PM
Guys Dummy General Aviation 1 August 23rd 04 11:42 PM
You guys were right -- thanks! Jay Honeck Piloting 27 July 28th 03 10:50 PM