USS Long Beach Vietnam Era

Old January 29th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default USS Long Beach Vietnam Era

After all these years I would like to know if anything ever happened on

the USS Long Beach during Vietnam that would have later resulted in the

death of my husband from cancer ( brain tumor). He had once mentioned
that an accident happened that released radiation???

I guess after all these years I would like to know.

Linda

Old January 29th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On 29 Jan 2006 06:48:34 -0800, in rec.aviation.military.naval "Linda Jo"
wrote:

After all these years I would like to know if anything ever happened on

the USS Long Beach during Vietnam that would have later resulted in the

death of my husband from cancer ( brain tumor). He had once mentioned
that an accident happened that released radiation???

I guess after all these years I would like to know.

Linda

http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/cruisers/cgn9.txt

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/040109.htm

http://www.usslongbeach-assoc.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Long_Beach_(CGN-9)

Nothing mentioned...

Old January 29th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Thank you for your repy. I will continue my search

Linda

Old January 29th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Linda Jo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you for your repy. I will continue my search

Linda

I am sorry for your loss, Linda.

The term "radiation" can mean many things and doesn't necessarily mean
"nuclear radiation". High power radar antennas emit radiation and are a
recognized hazard to human health if you spend any time in close proximity
to them. These antennas often have RADHAZ (radiation hazard) warnings
posted near them warning people that it is not healthy to be too close to
them. Although I am not sure if a warship would have these warnings. I am
sure that the USS Long Beach has a few of these antennas. Perhaps your
husband was an electronics technician and worked on this equipment?

JD

Old January 30th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Thank you. It has been since 1979. It never gets easier, just more
distant. It is most difficult when I see how much his boys (33 and 35)
look like him. I think he would be so proud of all his three children.
They are all great adults. I had two boys and one girl. My daughter
never got to know her father. I was pregnant with her when his cancer
was discovered. We were just about to make it when he got ill. He was
enlisted for many years and then got into the NESEP program.this got
him his dream to be an officer. He was a great officer because he
understood being an enlisted man. When he got ill he was a lieutenent
jg. We moved from Charleston to San Diego. We knew almost no one in San
Diego. I am wrting a book about the experience. It ws a difficut time.
I loved that man with all my heart. We were so young, had kids, and
sort of grew up together. It was all too short a time though.

I will pull out his service records and check. You are so kind to
wirte this to me.

Linda

Old January 30th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Linda Jo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you. It has been since 1979. It never gets easier, just more
distant. It is most difficult when I see how much his boys (33 and 35)
look like him. I think he would be so proud of all his three children.
They are all great adults. I had two boys and one girl. My daughter
never got to know her father. I was pregnant with her when his cancer
was discovered. We were just about to make it when he got ill. He was
enlisted for many years and then got into the NESEP program.this got
him his dream to be an officer. He was a great officer because he
understood being an enlisted man. When he got ill he was a lieutenent
jg.

And I assume you've got it documented as "Service Connected" through the VA
and are able to use whatever entitlements and benefits you may be eligible
for?

Old January 30th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Oh yes, I have been treated very well by the VA. Without their help
with my husband's medical bills I would never be out of debt. I think
the VA was tops with me. This is not a search for money, but rather a
search for cause. I worry about my children and grandchildren. I am
concerned that this might have an inherited pre-disposition to cancer
or neurological disorders. I worry that some day they might get sick.
I don't want anything but answers... no money.. nothing but a reason.
The reason would make sense of the fact that a 33 year old man in top
condition died of a rare cancer in the form of a brain tumor. It is
just something I want to know. Nothing more.

Old January 31st 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Joe Delphi" skrev i meddelandet

The term "radiation" can mean many things and doesn't necessarily mean
"nuclear radiation". High power radar antennas emit radiation and are a
recognized hazard to human health if you spend any time in close proximity
to them. These antennas often have RADHAZ (radiation hazard) warnings
posted near them warning people that it is not healthy to be too close to
them. Although I am not sure if a warship would have these warnings.

Just for the record - I was once aboard an -ex DDR Parchim class corvette laying
at the naval base in Rostock in 1992, and she had large circles or curves painted
on the deck which clearly was warning for radar antenna radiation.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Old January 31st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Thank you for your responses. I think I going to stop my search and
resume my life. It is a good life. I am a college professor amd do
volunteer work with children with bad homes (Alcohol, Drug and Mental
Health Center). This week I was working on my book about my husband and
I. This opened a scab and made me sad. I am lucky to have had what I
had. I know that. I was just curious. What I did learn is that life has
a way of happening and we need to make the best of it. I always think I
knew that. I woke up the day after he died and the sun was shining. I
tried to give to others. It was good for me and helped me make a full
life for me. I am going to retire soon from teaching. I will finish my
book. I just need write in small steps so I can handle the emotions
that are connected to it. I may have stepped over the line of emotonal
tolerance this week. I have one book published. This one I don't know
if anyone will want to read, but it has been good therapy for me. I am
hoping it will help another person with a dying spouse have a reference
to understand all the emotions of dealing with cancer. It is not all
sad, but rather is partly a wonderful love story. I was a lucky gal to
have been and still am in love. My children turned out great. I guess
this war touched so many lives. My book might be a tribute to them all.
Who knows. Linda