Cloud Appreciation Society

Old December 31st 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cloud Appreciation Society

http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/index.html

Be sure to check out the 4 video segments on flying
the Morning Glory cloud in Northern Australia.

Old December 31st 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Stewart,

Thanks for posting that! It would be one heck of a long way for me to
go, but I fully agree with the glider pilot in the last video - it
looks like heaven!

-John

Old September 17th 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Yes, there is such a thing as the Cloud Appreciation Society (https://cloudappreciationsociety.org). That is, aside from the unofficial cloud watchers society run by every known glider pilot.

My son gave me a membership to the Cloud Appreciation Society for Christmas last year after he attended a speaking engagement by the Society's founder on "Cloudspotting for Beginners". He also gave me an autographed (!) copy of "The Cloud Collector's Handbook" where I can check off when I see such collectibles as the Fibratus, Velum, Nacreous and the under appreciated Kelvin-Helmhotz clouds which includes keeping score with point awarded and bonuses. What a cloudy nerd fest this is!

I have submitted some cloud pictures in hopes of making the "Cloud of the day" list. However, they were relegated to the CAS's gallery. This picture of a building cumulonimbus was taken near the 2019 EAA Oshkosh aviation event - https://cloudappreciationsociety.org...photo-n-360639. Hope springs eternal that a future picture of mine will make the big time some day.

Of course the CAS has a gift shop for your cloud loving needs. The 2020 calendar was just announced - don't miss it! https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/shop/

Finally, there is a "Cloudspotting for Beginners" event in LaCross WI and St. Paul MN on Oct 20th and 22nd respectively. Heck, yes, I am going! Its free! If you attend let me know and we might have dinner together.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cloud...ts-70362563321
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cloud...ts-70831820883