New app to analyze your flights !!

Old September 19th 19, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Default New app to analyze your flights !!

Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019 11:47:27 UTC+2, a Ă©critÂ*:
Of the phases - "prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding", only climbing and gliding are familiar to me for sailplane flight analysis. Are floating and prospecting hang glider and paraglider terms? I wouldn't find them
useful.

Those terms apply to the 3 disciplines, and yes, they are new in flight analysis !

In a few words:
- when you look for a thermal/wave, or lose it to find it again, it is "prospecting".
- when you fly a portion of your flight better than you usually glide, it is "floating".

This can be very useful to help pilots progress during debriefing. For example, it is actually used by instructors in France to discuss the flight a posteriori with their students, so they can better understand what can be improved.
Old September 19th 19, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 03:18:15 -0700, Mar M wrote:

[...]

To me, 'floating' sounds like what I'd call 'running an energy line'
which can be anything from following a blue street to playing 'join the
dots' with haze caps or smallish cu, both being generally more useful if
your track is more or less parallel to the local wind direction.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old September 19th 19, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your definition of prospecting is subjective and can only be approximately inferred without knowing the pilot's mindset at the time so I would not find it helpful for an analysis program to attempt to identify it objectively.

You could replace "floating" with analysis based on "netto rising" phases.
Old September 19th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe

"Floating" and "Prospecting" make perfect sense to me.

Nelson

Old September 19th 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 1:54:09 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 1:57:18 AM UTC-7, Mar M wrote:
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that we developed an android app able to analyze your igc files, called xc analytics: https://xcanalytics.fr/en/
In a few words, it's statistics applied to cross country flying.

It gives you access to more than 60 statistics and 40 charts relative to your flights, an original identification of 4 different phases (prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding), and the possibility to compare your flights with others.

It is brand new, and there are many updates to come, some of them based on the feedback the pilots give us.
Let me know what you think !

Cheers,

Martin

I would like to have a Win 10 version.

Tom

Me too. The app sounds good, but I have little interest in using it on a tiny screen.
Old September 19th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 1:33:45 AM UTC-7, Mar M wrote:
Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019 07:54:09 UTC+2, 2G a Ă©critÂ*:
I would like to have a Win 10 version.

Tom

Hello Tom,

We plan to make one. As you can imagine, it will take some time to develop it, as we have to entirely code the charts again. Pilots' interest will definitely help !

Martin

That's great news because this is exactly the kind of IGC viewer that I have been looking for.

Tom
Old September 20th 19, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Is it possible to download on my iPad ? It keeps referring me to th google store and I can’t get at it from there.

DC
Old September 20th 19, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Is the purpose to make something better than SeeYou, to make something cheaper than SeeYou, or something different?
Old September 27th 19, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Hello pilots !
Sorry for the late answer, I was away for work. Here is what I can say about your questions / comments:

Your definition of prospecting is subjective and can only be approximately
inferred without knowing the pilot's mindset at the time so I would not
find it helpful for an analysis program to attempt to identify it
objectively.
You could replace "floating" with analysis based on "netto rising" phases..

Well, at least it is not subjective as long as you agree with it ! You don't really need to know the pilot's mindset to define the phases, as much as, for example, netto rising is polar dependent.

"Floating" and "Prospecting" make perfect sense to me.

Good to hear Nelson !!

Me too. The app sounds good, but I have little interest in using it on a tiny screen.

The app is compatible with any tablet for your information. If you are looking for a desktop / Windows version, we plan to make one (before an iOS version), but it really depends on the interest of pilots for the app.

That's great news because this is exactly the kind of IGC viewer that I
have been looking for.

Brilliant, thanks Tom !

Is it possible to download on my iPad ? It keeps referring me to th google store and I can’t get at it from there.

Dennis, sorry, but no iOS version for the moment (as said above). The Apple store is the most demanding and restrictive platform regarding apps. As soon as the desktop version is available, I will let you know.

Is the purpose to make something better than SeeYou, to make something
cheaper than SeeYou, or something different?

All of the above ?