How high can you fly?

Old September 19th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default How high can you fly?

On Sep 18, 2:40*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,

Explode, not implode. Unless it is an underwater submersible?

so you're wearing a pressurized body suit. You have
an oxygen mask. You plane is powered by a very
powerful brushless electric motor supplied by a 20lb
carbon nanotube source that is basically limitless.

Your claims are absurd.

Ok, yes I'm just conceptualizing to paint my hypothetical
picture, and indiscriminately pulled out a number of 20lbs.,
and posters such as "a" have already explained the
parameters that must be analyzed to do the math. But
I keep running across new technologies and it takes time
to come up with hard data and numbers that would allow
me or anyone else to tell you what the new batteries
weigh or what their energy density and durations are.

I have however had them described to me in general
terms and you know what? 1) it's exciting 2) few people
have a clue what is on the horizon 3) the impetus has
already swung in this direction and lastly 4) we really
have no choice afa worldwide auto application goes.
5) I think most pilots would rather fly without vibration.

---
Mark
Old September 19th 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Mark wrote:
I keep running across new technologies and it takes time
to come up with hard data and numbers that would allow
me or anyone else to tell you what the new batteries
weigh or what their energy density and durations are.

I'm trying to point out that some of us have some of idea of what is
possible within the next 10 years and what the ultimate physical limits are
of energy density.

Wikipedia has a table of energy densities for several battery technologies
compared with traditional energy storage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

So far as I can tell it appears roughly correct.

Avgas has an energy density of ~44MJ/kg.
The best _emerging_ battery technology has an energy density of ~3.6MJ/kg.

Ground vehicles can still be useful with low energy densities, but aircraft
rapidly decline in utility. Put another way, airlines will be flying jets
burning jet fuel for the forseeable future.
Old September 19th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

The only aviation market I can see for electric airplanes, if batteries
ever get good enough and cheap enough, is for self launched gliders.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 19th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:44:28 -0000, wrote:

Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

Doesn't surprise me, you have no vision. Most
people don't which is why I am wealthy beyond
your imagination.

Get on board. I can make you loads of money.
You could afford to buy a hat for your pinhead.

Mark Of The Financial World
Old September 19th 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ted Sherman

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

Ok, yes I'm just conceptualizing to paint my hypothetical picture
and you know what? 1) it's exciting 2) few people have a clue what
is on the horizon so I should be called the Messiah Of Bull****
3) I think most pilots would rather fly without vibration. 4) Most
women rave about vibration 5) I never get laid so I hate vibration
6) Go **** yourselves.

oooooooooooooooK
Old September 26th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Mark wrote:
Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,

Explode, not implode. Unless it is an underwater submersible?

LPL flying submarine, powered by 3 conventional piston engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyf3...ure=grec_index

--
Mark

Old September 26th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Mark wrote:
Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,

Explode, not implode. Unless it is an underwater submersible?

Yeah, what a memory. There we were, shoulder to shoulder my hands in
my pants, on the football field, even though it was before a baseball
game, packed in like sardines. Me, my teddy bear and soon-to-be-dead
Tiger Boy, my pussycat.

The smell of cannabis filled the air. I don't smoke, it draws out my
manic depression.

This special night was different from the Grand Funk Railroad or the
Three Dog Night or Liberace concerts I never attended there. In my
mind, I was. On the football field, where they were awaiting to play
a Braves game. In May when NFL football didn't play.

1973 National Football League season
Regular season
Duration *September 16, 1973 - December 16, 1973*

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...973_NFL_season

At one point the lights went total black-out, then suddenly the entire
room and immediate area (closet) were drenched in blue light. I began
to sing "My Room" by the Beach Boys because I sure as **** wasn't at
Fulton County Stadium on May 4th, 1973.

Nothing but blue. Next came the "smoke" of dry ice. It was like London
fog in blue. I guess, never been out of South Carolina, The
Mississippi of the East.

Yes it was "Stairway to Heaven" time. Boy was I suprised
at what came next. Tiger Boy jumped on my Philco and killed the
turntable. this was the day I decided to kill him.

Suddenly I released hundreds and hundreds of white fleas! It didn't
quite work out as planned. Except for the few that momentarilly
circled, they basically just flew away. **** me again.

But there was no disappointment. Those first few notes of
"Stairway" took us where I needed to be. Up the stairs to the cool
breasts of my Mommy.

There, in the moment listening to the most famous song in the world. I
turned and looked at my Mommy, Judy ( "Judy blue eyes"), and she
said...

"Mark, get your goddamned hands off my tits and go to sleep. You have
school in the morning".

my son is a freak

---
Mark
Old September 20th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Mark opined

Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,
so you're wearing a pressurized body suit. You have
an oxygen mask. You plane is powered by a very
powerful brushless electric motor supplied by a 20lb
carbon nanotube source that is basically limitless.
Your powerplant is equivalent to 700hp in an LSA.
The electric motor and cabin are heated.

How high can you fly? 95,000ft?

This will soon be a real consideration.

I don't have the figures available at the moment, but I can tell you what to
look for and what to do.

Find the Vs for a C152.

Find the Mmo, likely about M.75.

Your max altitude is where the true Vs == Mmo.

-ash
Elect Cthulhu!
Vote the greater evil.

Old September 20th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 19, 7:24*pm, "Ash Wyllie" wrote:

How high can you fly? 95,000ft?
This will soon be a real consideration.

I don't have the figures available at the moment, but I can tell you what to
look for and what to do.

Find the Vs for a C152.

Find the Mmo, likely about M.75.

Your max altitude is where the true Vs == Mmo.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *-ash
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Elect Cthulhu!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Vote the greater evil.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to run the numbers.

Had this been a contest, you just walked off with a
new trophy.

---
Mark
Old September 26th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 06:10:02 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

On Sep 19, 7:24*pm, "Ash Wyllie" wrote:

How high can you fly? 95,000ft?
This will soon be a real consideration.

I don't have the figures available at the moment, but I can tell you what to
look for and what to do.

Find the Vs for a C152.

Find the Mmo, likely about M.75.

Your max altitude is where the true Vs == Mmo.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *-ash
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Elect Cthulhu!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Vote the greater evil.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to run the numbers.

Had this been a contest, you just walked off with a
new trophy.

---
Mark

How'd those numbers come out there, Mark(ie)? It's only been a week.

*ROFL*
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj