Panel Materials

Old September 27th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Panel Materials

I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

Old September 27th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Sep 27, 9:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

There is a company: Aerospace Composite Products, that has various
types of pre-make composite panels. All are carbon or glass with
various "fillers" of foam, glass, and something they call Corelite
Other panels of thicknesses over .5 inch are done with foam and balsa.

http://www.acp-composites.com/

I would check with them regarding using one of their panels to make
the blank.

I used many of their products in the past and they're always top of
the line.

Mike

Old September 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Sep 27, 10:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

For a panel I wouldn't bother with a core. I would just make it about
1/8 of Glass.
Depending on the Glass this usually only about 4 to 6 layers of glass
if I recall correctly. Maybe a few more if you vacuum bag it.

If you really need a thin core you might look at just using a peice of
aircraft plywood.

Brian Case
CFIIG/ASEL

Old September 28th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Sep 27, 10:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

For General purpose Epoxy fiberglass work I would recommend MGS
Epoxy. If you saw the floorpan in my HP16, that is what was made
with.

For the Glass I would just use Rutan Bidirectional Cloth. This is very
simlar to some of german cloth used in sailplanes (Also simlar to what
I used on my floorpan)

Both are available from Aircraft Spruce and are reasonably priced.

Brian Case
HP16T N16VP

Old September 28th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

Fixed panels are sometimes part of the cockpit structure or safety
design of the glider; e.g., to break instead of injuring the pilot's
legs. Check with the manufacturer before using a different material, or
if the glider is old enough, they might now recommend a different
material than the original material.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 28th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I just looked a the MGS Resin, It has just about doubled in price
since I last bought some. Aeropoxy is good as well but the MGS is much
nicer to use and probably a bit stronger IMO than the Aeropoxy

Old September 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 27, 4:36 pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

Make sure you have some kind of rounded flange around your legs,
lest the panel turn into a knife in an accident. You'll note all new
gliders have this feature. Make a mold with a thick piece of wood,
rounding the corners, and lay up a non-sandwich panel for best
results. Its easy and much safer than a simple panel (especially
a metal panel).

Hope this helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO"

Old September 28th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Sep 27, 9:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

Tim,

The ventus b uses the panel as a part of the structure of the
fuselage. I molded a panel of fiberglass using a plywood mold,
installed and found that the canopy made strange creeking sounds when
under load in a pull up. I installed a 1/4" X 2.5" bar approximatle 8
inches in front of the panel attached to the sides of the fuselage
rail to provide support so the fuselage would not flex.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old September 28th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Sep 27, 1:36 pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

The carbon fiber will be hard to cut and drill and will probably
require carbide tools. I would recommend fiberglass. Also if you
mold a fiberglass panel you can mold one with out the sharp edges.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old September 28th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've drilled and cut carbon fiber/epoxy structures with ordinary wood and
metal tools. They work fine but do require more frequent sharpening. Do
wear a good respirator and eye protection when working with either
fiberglass or carbon.

Bill Daniels