"zero" versus "oscar" versus "sierra"

Old December 20th 04, 08:49 AM

Ah yes, call signs.

Great for confusion, well at least for me.
Over here we use the ICAO system to abbreviate call signs (not sure for
the US)
Any way, as a student I was not always sure they were talking to me.
For example PH-SPA can be papa alfa, papa papa alfa or sierra pappa
alfa. Next time I flew it was in something like PH-APS. Very confusing,
certainly for somebody who can not remember his telephone number,
license plate, bank account number or even what day of the week it is.
Now I'm happy.
I fly with D-EDMB. It always ends with mike bravo with maybe a delta to
start with.

That is, if you fill in your flight plan clearly.
Can remember that an air traffic controller tried to contact oscar mike
bravo all the way over Belgium, untill it dawned on delta mike bravo
that it was meant for him. Ok, neat writing is also one of my short
comings :-(

-Kees.