Remember chemtrails?

Old March 15th 04, 03:45 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Default Remember chemtrails?

Well, it came out in the chemtrails threads that they're comprised of a hazardous
substance called dihydrogen monoxide. California politicos just found out about it.

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially
dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups
after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide - H2O for short - is
the scientific term for water.
"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who
did bad research."

The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites
that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless,
tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.

As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to
vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers
at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were
made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 15th 04, 04:07 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
[...]

This one is reallyyyyyy old!!

Old March 15th 04, 04:54 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

This one is reallyyyyyy old!!

Don't tell AP that - it just hit the Verizon site news this morning.

Old March 15th 04, 06:13 PM
Jim Fisher

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

This one is reallyyyyyy old!!

And at least two weeks before April Fools day. What makes council people so
clueless, I wonder. Must me something in the dihydrogen monoxide.

Speaking of all that, anyone have a good suggestion for a April Fools trick
for office staff?

Last year, I told a favorite customer of mine that they needed to put a
plastic bag over all their phones. I stated that we were going to have to
blow out their phone lines to get the dust out before they could get back on
the Internet. They had already covered and taped one phone up before I
called them back to say April Fools.

Yeah, this is and old one, too, but it usually works.

--
Jim Fisher

Old March 15th 04, 06:15 PM
Andrew Gideon

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Don't tell AP that - it just hit the Verizon site news this morning.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ey/8185305.htm

This is a perfect example of why certain people should be banned from any
role in policy-making whatsoever. Not knowing what water is? Inexcusable
ignorance.

- Andrew

Old March 15th 04, 07:14 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
This is a perfect example of why certain people should be banned from any
role in policy-making whatsoever. Not knowing what water is? Inexcusable
ignorance.

Many people, even those with college educations, do not understand that for
most chemical compounds, the name actually means something. They see
"dihydrogen monoxide", and it sounds like every other noxious chemical
they've ever heard of. It doesn't occur to them to look at the individual
parts of the name. Nor would they necessarily recognize two hydrogens and
one oxygen as water (even though they almost certainly have heard of "H2O").

This is a sad fact of human existence. Most people stumble through life in
a fog. It's pointless to call it "inexcusable ignorance"...it's one of the
few constants in the world. I wish things were different, but wishing it
won't make it so. Just think what we as humans could accomplish if the
entire human race applied the same sort of intelligence and critical
thinking that the handful of people who have really made a difference
throughout history have.

On the bright side, just look at what we've accomplished with so many idiots
running around. That's testament, IMHO, to the robustness and adaptability
of humanity. I think in the long run, we'll be okay, even if we take the
five steps forward, four steps back approach.

Back to the original thought...what IS inexcusable is a person making policy
without properly researching the facts. That's justification for firing, if
you ask me. It's one thing to forgive someone for stumbling through their
job in a fog. It's another entirely to allow them the opportunity to
continue doing so.

Pete

Old March 15th 04, 10:18 PM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Back to the original thought...what IS inexcusable is a person making

policy
without properly researching the facts. That's justification for firing,

if
you ask me. It's one thing to forgive someone for stumbling through their
job in a fog. It's another entirely to allow them the opportunity to
continue doing so.

The paralegal said she was fooled by Internet sites devoted to dihydrogen
monoxide. Why? Originally they were researching material for banning
Styrofoam containers because these contaminate the creek. How would anyone
come up with the DHMO sites just researching Styrofoam containers?

It sounds more to me like the paralegal was fed up with the anal-retentive
city council and included the bit about dihydrogen monoxide in a deliberate
attempt to embarrass them.

Old March 15th 04, 10:43 PM
John Galban

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message ...

Speaking of all that, anyone have a good suggestion for a April Fools trick
for office staff?

Have them open up a few PCs so that you can empty the bit bucket
that contains all bits from their deleted files.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 15th 04, 11:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
[...] How would anyone
come up with the DHMO sites just researching Styrofoam containers?

Because one of the classic Internet hoax emails specifically mentions DHMO
used in the production of styrofoam.

I'm not excusing the behavior, but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, nor
do I think there needs to be any more complex an explanation than that given
by the paralegal.

Pete

Old March 16th 04, 06:43 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
It sounds more to me like the paralegal was fed up with the anal-retentive
city council and included the bit about dihydrogen monoxide in a

deliberate
attempt to embarrass them.

I don't think embarrassing them would take a deliberate act.