"Where" is my destination?

Old April 27th 04, 04:09 AM
Snowbird

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message ...
"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
So, "where" IS my destination? Is there anything I could have said
that would have made it clear? Would they be confused if I just asked
for flight following to the Newberg VOR?

A fix from a VOR will always work. "Bearing 15 miles on the 180 Radial of
(VOR)."

Well, almost always *g*. If you're going a distance, it's better to have
an H-class VOR, and even there we struck out once

But that was Boston, 'nuff said

Sydney
Old April 27th 04, 06:30 AM
Newps

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

I'm sure that Newps will straighten me out, but I don't think
"putting it in the system" goes any farther than calling the radar

facility
on the landline and telling them that you want flight following. I don't
think anything is "filed" per se.

That's one way, especially when you spring it on me that you want flight
following about 20 miles after departure. If you tell me when you are still
on the ground then it gets typed into the computer so a center transponder
code gets assigned. That way it can be handed off to the center
automatically.

Old April 27th 04, 06:32 AM
Newps

"BTIZ" wrote in message
controllers in another state, especially "local" approach control, are not
expected to know every Podunk airport more than 200 miles away..

I would expect at least 200 miles from an approach controller, maybe a
little less from big city approach controllers. I have heard of and know
roughly where every airport is within about 5-600 miles from here.

Old April 27th 04, 04:35 PM
Rob Perkins

"Peter Duniho" wrote:

Or maybe that was his whole point. Not only is the FAA using C64's, they've
removed 16K of the RAM as a cost-cutting measure.

And as a measure to save on the cost of porting software, I'm sure
they'll make arrangments to run C-64 emulators on P4-hyperthreading
PC's for every Center. And because it's government work, all the
emulators together, combined with the cost of the PC's, will cost more
than it would to resurrect MOSTEK to tool up and make enough C-64's.

:-D

Rob
Old April 27th 04, 07:24 PM
gatt

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message news:PZfjc.26174

I should have seen this coming when Oakland FSS's computers told them
that Scappoose was the closest airport.

Yeah...tell 'em your headed for old Scappoose International. When you were
airborne you could have requested a frequency change to Scappoose Center.

I got a free IFR lesson to Scappoose last week because my instructor had to
pay her bill at the Barnstormer Bed and Breakfast. We flew out there and
she ran off to pay her bill while I watched gyrocopter folks test flying
their new birds. Not exactly a major airfield.

-c

Old April 27th 04, 08:10 PM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:24:00 -0700, "gatt"
wrote:

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message news:PZfjc.26174

I should have seen this coming when Oakland FSS's computers told them
that Scappoose was the closest airport.

Yeah...tell 'em your headed for old Scappoose International. When you were
airborne you could have requested a frequency change to Scappoose Center.

I got a free IFR lesson to Scappoose last week because my instructor had to
pay her bill at the Barnstormer Bed and Breakfast. We flew out there and
she ran off to pay her bill while I watched gyrocopter folks test flying
their new birds. Not exactly a major airfield.

Compared to Twin Oaks, which is the field that started this
discussion? Sometimes I couldn't find Twin Oaks when I had a plane
based there.

Don
Old April 27th 04, 09:46 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Don Tuite wrote:
"Ben Jackson" wrote in message news:PZfjc.26174

I should have seen this coming when Oakland FSS's computers told them
that Scappoose was the closest airport.

Compared to Twin Oaks, which is the field that started this
discussion? Sometimes I couldn't find Twin Oaks when I had a plane
based there.

I always find it, it's just that sometimes as I get closer I find it
again and make a course correction.

But for the briefing with FSS I had to ask for HIO weather rather
than Scappoose weather. HIO is a lot bigger than SPB.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 28th 04, 02:42 AM
Rob Perkins

"gatt" wrote:

I got a free IFR lesson to Scappoose last week because my instructor had to
pay her bill at the Barnstormer Bed and Breakfast. We flew out there and
she ran off to pay her bill while I watched gyrocopter folks test flying
their new birds. Not exactly a major airfield.

It was the "big" airport I practiced at all through my training. Nice
crosswinds, bumpy climbout. Only Woodland and Evergreen were bumpier
in the area.

Scappoose has a restaurant on field?

Rob
Old April 28th 04, 01:38 PM
Ash Wyllie

Ben Jackson opined

So, "where" IS my destination? Is there anything I could have said
that would have made it clear? Would they be confused if I just asked
for flight following to the Newberg VOR?

I get the same thing when leaving CHO. I tell Potomac Approach that I am going
to LCI. I get a lot of "wheres that?". If I tell them MHT all is well. I
assume that either different parts of the FAA don't talk to each other or '60s
can't store all those out of region identifiers.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old April 28th 04, 08:35 PM
gatt

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message news:uEzjc.53073

But for the briefing with FSS I had to ask for HIO weather rather
than Scappoose weather. HIO is a lot bigger than SPB.

The could theoretically be a problem because Scappoose is very close to the
Columbia River and the temperature and wind can be quite a bit different
than at HIO, which has the range of hills separating it from the river and
the winds coming off the Gorge.

Generally the same visibility conditions, usually.

-c