"The Muse"

Old May 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
BTB

Default "The Muse"

Anyone any experiences using "The Muse" for in-flight music ?

http://www.avionicswest.com/muse.html

Or there less expensive options ?

BTB
Old May 23rd 05, 02:18 AM
Scott Skylane

BTB wrote:
Anyone any experiences using "The Muse" for in-flight music ?

http://www.avionicswest.com/muse.html

Or there less expensive options ?

BTB

I have used the Muse at work for a few years, and, while it does what it
says, I really do wish for some improvements.
First and foremost, the music sensing circuit, which automatically
turns the Muse on when a music input signal is detected, isn't nearly
sensitive enough. In other words, the volume of the music audio has to
be fairly high, or the Muse will cut out during softer parts of a song.
Personally, I like my music to be in the background, so I like the
volume level low. Unfortunately, the Muse doesn't work well at all in
that situation.
At one point, I even E-Mailed PSE about this, and was told that the
unit works as perfectly as possible, and that my needs couldn't possibly
be met. When I asked where I could tap into the circuitry, to
permanently enable the music throughput, they denied my request based on
"proprietary circuit" issues. Oh well.
Another issue is that my unit only seems to pass one of the stereo
channels through to the headset. I hear the music in both ears, but
it's only the left or right (not sure which) channel. Even after a
factory refurbishment (see below) this problem still exists.
The design really isn't up to daily, hard at work, use. Fortunately,
I am somewhat handy with a soldering iron, as I have had to repair
broken cable wires on the circuit board several times, due to inadequate
strain relief. When the stereo input cable developed an intermittant
open at the mini-plug end, I finally sent the unit in for repairs. They
charge a reasonable, one shot fee for repairs, and had the unit back to
me in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, the above mentioned audio issue
was not resolved, but the cable are all new.
I really wish there were some alternatives to try, but I think the
Muse is the only device of it's kind in the market.
Hello, Jim Weir???

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 23rd 05, 02:37 AM
George Patterson

Scott Skylane wrote:

I really wish there were some alternatives to try, but I think the
Muse is the only device of it's kind in the market.

Sort of. You can also use any portable intercom which has a music input.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 23rd 05, 12:28 PM
H.P.

In other words, the volume of the music audio has to
be fairly high, or the Muse will cut out during softer parts of a song.

The audio output device needs a compression circuit to keep audio levels
more near a constant output. There are portable cd players out there that
have such a feature.

Another issue is that my unit only seems to pass one of the stereo
channels through to the headset. I hear the music in both ears, but it's
only the left or right (not sure which) channel.

Your headset may have a dip switch that's factory set to mono-out a stereo
input - like the Bose headset. Try the other setting. Or it may be wired in
mono. Try it on a stereo source at home.

Old May 23rd 05, 01:24 PM
OtisWinslow

I have one. It works fine for what it's intended to do. I think
an intercom with a music input would probably be a better plan.

Old May 23rd 05, 03:24 PM
Thomas Borchert

Btb,

Or there less expensive options ?

Uh, a headset with music input? If you don't have THE headset you always wanted already, this might be a good point to upgrade to an ANR headset with music input (and while you're at it, cell phone input, too). Lightspeed's headsets come to mind. Something like 250 $ will buy you their entry level ANR, which will get you the headset, music and cell input. The Muse seems a tad expensive in comparison.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
MessageEnd:

Old May 23rd 05, 05:47 PM
RST Engineering

Why renamed to me?

Jim

Old May 23rd 05, 05:57 PM
Jim Fisher

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Why renamed to me?

Jim

We need you to fix that, Jim. When you're done, will ya do something about
that Iraq situation and Global Warming?

Thanks,
Jim Fisher

Old May 23rd 05, 07:25 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jim Fisher" writes:

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Why renamed to me?

We need you to fix that, Jim. When you're done, will ya do something about
that Iraq situation and Global Warming?

I'd rather he'd work on important stuff. Like, no alcohol on mogas
in California so we can use the stuff in our Skylanes.

-jabv
Old May 23rd 05, 08:34 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Javier Henderson wrote:
"Jim Fisher" writes:

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Why renamed to me?

We need you to fix that, Jim. When you're done, will ya do something about
that Iraq situation and Global Warming?

I'd rather he'd work on important stuff. Like, no alcohol on mogas
in California so we can use the stuff in our Skylanes.

Hey! Run Jim for Gov!

:-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/