$100 hamburger radius

Old November 4th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default $100 hamburger radius

Jose,

When in Seattle, go to Salty's on Alki. Good seafood, great view, and
sometimes a Boeing Stratoliner will land right in front of you ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 4th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Peter Duniho wrote:
Now that's downright creepy... POST THIEF!!! : )

But not here. After all, your reference to "haute cuisine" was in terms of
"why bother flying, since it's not that" while mine was "it doesn't need to
be that for flying to that to be fun". Of course, we were talking about
different kinds of restaurants, and so IMHO both statements were on the
mark. But I hope I'm not causing a degree of "creep factor" here.

Not at all Pete, I'm just being goofy (hence the smiley)

Old November 5th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JSBOUGHER

I'm always amazed at what becomes "comfortable" when I get far enough
out of my comfort zone for a prolonged duration. It was my first trip
to China ... 2 weeks of supplier and potential acquisition visits with
lunch after dinner after lunch after dinner of traditional Chinese
cuisine. After 2 weeks of the round table table with duck tongue,
shark fin, snake, etc all served by my host with HIS chop sticks and
HACKING cough, I was about Chinesed out. I still remember how
amazingly wonderful that Big Mac was ... ahhh, home. That said, I
always joke that I've had McDonalds 4 times in the last 10 years, all
overseas and 3 out of 4 were in China. There is a time and place for
"comfort food" regardless of nutritional content.
Jeff

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Line from "Memphis Belle": "it's comforting"

Perhaps to some people. I can't say that I would use the word "comforting"
to describe any of the fast food chains (and that's even though I do on
occasion eat at them, and even enjoy the food, as much as anyone can enjoy
"food" that has practically no redeeming nutritional value ).

And of course, flying somewhere for the purpose of eating food that's
"comforting" seems to be missing the point, to me at least.

Pete

Old November 5th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm always amazed at what becomes "comfortable" when I get far enough
out of my comfort zone for a prolonged duration. It was my first trip
to China ... 2 weeks of supplier and potential acquisition visits with
lunch after dinner after lunch after dinner of traditional Chinese
cuisine. After 2 weeks of the round table table with duck tongue,
shark fin, snake, etc all served by my host with HIS chop sticks and
HACKING cough, I was about Chinesed out.

Mary and I had a similar experience. After a week in Aruba (5 days
longer than it takes to see everything on that island, BTW), we were
pretty sick of sit-down meals which were quite excellent but horribly
over-priced. (You're a captive audience on an island, for sure...)
We were newlyweds, and not made of money.

One morning while driving our beater rent-a-wreck, much to our surprise
we spotted a greasy Macs, and made a bee-line for it. Their egg
McMuffins sure tasted good -- although eating them with french fries
was a bit odd. (Arubans didn't know what "hashed browns" were...yet.)

That was the last time I ate a McDonald's breakfast. The year was
1985. I don't miss it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 5th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

I can relate to that. I took a tour of China 20 years ago - the type
where everything is arranged. I sure got tired of Chinese food day in
and day out (with your choice of orange soda or beer to drink).
Finally, in Shanghai I skipped the customary dinner, walked downtown,
found a restaurant, and ordered a steak. It was nothing to write home
about - but at least it was different! I don't recall seeing any
McDonald's at that time.

David Johnson

Old November 5th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Jose wrote:
Please Jose tell us the name of the Steakhouse so I never make the
mistake of going there.

Daniel's Broiler, in Bellevue. It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up
(in food quality) to the price and ambience. It could have just been an
off day.

The meat quality alone from a good steakhouse should put it miles ahead
of Denny's.
Old November 6th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The meat quality alone from a good steakhouse should put it miles ahead of Denny's.

Yep. Should. But should isn't is.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"JSBOUGHER" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm always amazed at what becomes "comfortable" when I get far enough
out of my comfort zone for a prolonged duration. It was my first trip
to China ... 2 weeks of supplier and potential acquisition visits with
lunch after dinner after lunch after dinner of traditional Chinese
cuisine. After 2 weeks of the round table table with duck tongue,
shark fin, snake, etc all served by my host with HIS chop sticks and
HACKING cough, I was about Chinesed out. I still remember how
amazingly wonderful that Big Mac was ... ahhh, home. That said, I
always joke that I've had McDonalds 4 times in the last 10 years, all
overseas and 3 out of 4 were in China. There is a time and place for
"comfort food" regardless of nutritional content.
Jeff

When I was 13 I spent just shy of 3 months in Bahrain for the first time.
They have no Coke there only Pepsi. Nothing ever tasted better than the Coke
the flight attendant handed me when I got on the PanAm 747 heading back to
the US.

Old November 10th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Jose,

When in Seattle, go to Salty's on Alki. Good seafood, great view, and
sometimes a Boeing Stratoliner will land right in front of you ;-)

NOT TRUE, it's tucked safely away. I check on it at least a few times a
week!

Old November 10th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Margy,

NOT TRUE, it's tucked safely away.

Seattle, the restaurant or the plane? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)