Glider Insurance and Rental/Borrowed Ships

Old March 4th 05, 08:46 PM
ContestID67

Default Glider Insurance and Rental/Borrowed Ships

I recently received my glider insurance renewal and found that while
the premium didn't increase much, they eliminated two important areas
of coverage.

I'd like to hear people's comments.

1) Physical damage to non-owned aircraft - This covers you flying
someone else's ship such as a rental airplane. As far as I was told
the only recourse is to sign up for a complete year's worth of extra
coverage. This would not be practicle simply to be able to rent a
single place ship once a year in Minden. I foresee that this will
adversely impact commercial operations unless they can supply pilot's
with insurance on a daily basis (similar to the rental car industry).
According to my agent this daily coverage doesn't exist and is unlikely
to be available in the future as the underwriters want to review and
approve the individual pilots, which can't happen the morning I show up
to fly.

2) Lending my ship to another qualified pilot known as "Open Pilot"
coverage - Last year I was able to loan my glider to a pilot who had
the necessary number of hours flying 35:1 or better ships. Now I would
need to have the other pilot named in my policy. Normally the other
pilot will carry his own insurance, but if his policy is like mine, #1
above prevents this option.

Thanks, John DeRosa

Old March 4th 05, 08:59 PM
Doug

Who do you have insurance with? I'm assuming you're in the US since you
mentioned Minden.

oups.com...

Old March 4th 05, 09:13 PM

Did you have the Open Pilot coverage at no additional premium? I just
called Costello and was quoted an additional $150 per year(on top of
roughly $750)for Guest Pilot coverage. Just curious.

Mike Fadden
ASW 15

Old March 4th 05, 11:34 PM
Tony Verhulst

Kevin Christner wrote:
I have Open Pilots coverage (any Private Pilot or better) for my LS1c
and Jantar Std. 2. My cost per glider is 630 and 700 from Costello. I
think I got the good deal because I am a CFIG. Might be worth
upgrading your ticket.

When I started my policy with Costello 3 years ago I asked about that
and they said that, rate wise, the only thing that mattered was the
commercial rating.

Tony V.
Old March 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Tony Verhulst

Beware that according to Costello, thic coverage is really for you. If
you let another pilot fly your plane, they will fix it for you, then go
after the other pilot to reclaim the loss. The other pilot needs to
have his own coverage to be able to fly your ship.

Correct. This is called subrogation. The borrowing/renting pilot really
needs his own renters insurance to protect himself - see
http://www.aopaia.com/index.cfm?parm1=Renters%20FAQ

Tony V.
Old March 7th 05, 06:34 PM
Kevin Christner

I just renewed my insurance last month and I got it. There was some
additional charge, but this was only about $50 or so as I recall.
We'll worth it.