Piper SB No 836 (alluminum wire replacement)

Old July 30th 05, 10:25 PM
Mike Noel

Default Piper SB No 836 (alluminum wire replacement)

I need to replace the aluminum wiring in my Archer with new copper cables.
Spruce is selling Bogart replacement cables for $289 which seems a bit steep
for the amount of cable and connectors involved. I understand Piper has a
description of the parts and technique for doing the replacement, but my
service manual doesn't seem to mention it and I haven't found the SB or a
description of the procedure on-line. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Mike.

Old July 31st 05, 02:36 PM

Mike,

Try American Aviation, 405-354-7136 or 404-232-2607. They have STC'd
kits for PA-28s for $115/2 ga and $145/1 ga. I used the 2ga kit in my
PA-28-140 and had no problems in either the install or performance.

Mike Bednarek

Old July 31st 05, 07:53 PM
Denny

Why does wire replacement have to have an STC?
Changes the weight and balance of the airframe...

denny

Old July 31st 05, 08:39 PM

Denny wrote:
: Why does wire replacement have to have an STC?
: ************************************************** *********
: Changes the weight and balance of the airframe...

I was thinking that, but I thought that there were situations where
empty W&B change didn't require a 337. Now that I read through it, I can see the
interpretation differently. One example that comes to mind is installing a
lightweight starter. It's got a PMA, so it's a drop-in replacement for the original.
It also takes 9 lbs off the nose (of my bird at least), so it requires a W&B.

All I can say is that if you cannot get your local FSDO to approve a 337 for
replacing Al wires with Cu wires according to AC43 and a W&B change, it's time to
send them some hate mail and/or move.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old July 31st 05, 09:35 PM
John Kunkel

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
I need to replace the aluminum wiring in my Archer with new copper cables.
Spruce is selling Bogart replacement cables for $289 which seems a bit
steep
for the amount of cable and connectors involved. I understand Piper has a
description of the parts and technique for doing the replacement, but my
service manual doesn't seem to mention it and I haven't found the SB or a
description of the procedure on-line. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My service manual (page 4D1) states that the #1 aluminum wire can be
replaced by #3 copper by following procedures in 43-13.

No STC or kit needed, just get some wire and terminals and do it by the
book.

Old August 2nd 05, 06:03 AM
Mike Noel

OK, thanks to all who replied. I ordered a 2 gauge kit from American
Aviation for $115. He's nice enough to send the STC PMA kit postpaid and
trust me to send him the money on receipt.
news