Snow over ice

Old December 19th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc

Default Snow over ice

I thought about the winch system, but my plane weighs around 5,000lbs.
Pulling on the tail tie down ring might just rip it off. There unfortunately
is no way even four people could push it upslope on our ramp on the ice.

I use a 10HP tug that goes under the nose wheel, and is big enough for a
King Air. I'm going to stop at our local Farm and Fleet
(hardware/construction type store) to see if they even sell chains. I will
also look at a long runner type carpet to place under the tug, which may
help the traction.

It's still all a pain.

Old December 20th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

I used chains on my PowerTow for moving my 310 into the hangar during
winter. However, if there was ice on the ramp, the chains did not help
at all. The only thing the chain helped with is to get through snow. I
do remember one occasion a few years ago when I also had to call the
FBO to help me get the plane back in the hangar.

Good luck,
Cary

Old December 20th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Viperdoc wrote:
I thought about the winch system, but my plane weighs around 5,000lbs.
Pulling on the tail tie down ring might just rip it off. There unfortunately
is no way even four people could push it upslope on our ramp on the ice.

If it won't take being winched up a slight grade (I can't believe your
ramp is all THAT steep), then it certainly can't be relied on to tie
down your airplane in any significant wind.

Matt
Old December 20th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I thought about the winch system, but my plane weighs around 5,000lbs.
Pulling on the tail tie down ring might just rip it off. There unfortunately
is no way even four people could push it upslope on our ramp on the ice.

If it won't take being winched up a slight grade (I can't believe your
ramp is all THAT steep), then it certainly can't be relied on to tie
down your airplane in any significant wind.

It would be interesting for an engineer-type (which I am most
definitely NOT) to figure out the air-loads on the vertical and
horizontal stabilizers of Viperdoc's Baron. I wonder how many
thousands of pounds of pressure are being exerted on that empennage
every time he flies?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 1st 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

On 2007-12-20, Jay Honeck wrote:
definitely NOT) to figure out the air-loads on the vertical and
horizontal stabilizers of Viperdoc's Baron. I wonder how many
thousands of pounds of pressure are being exerted on that empennage
every time he flies?

I'd presume tens of pounds not thousands. The horizontal stab in normal
level flight only provides a small amount of downforce (if it had to
provide thousands of pounds, the aircraft would be horrifically
inefficient and very nose heavy)

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.

wiping snow off [email protected] Owning 13 December 15th 05 01:37 PM
DTW Snow Capt.Doug Piloting 6 April 28th 05 02:59 AM
Snow... Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 28th 04 07:26 PM
Gasoline "Snow"? Jay Honeck Piloting 18 December 27th 04 12:28 AM