GA is priceless

Old January 4th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default GA is priceless

Other things related to his presence generate disruptions to the group as
well. Posts that discuss him that he didn't start nor directly involve him
come to mind. One question is why someone would generate such reactions
from others? I understand it as a typical response to an outsider whose
primary objective is to provoke. One can witness such behavior in almost
any social venue.

He doesn't start those posts. There is a "gang up" mentality in almost
all groups, this one included. Once started ("fairly" or not) it's hard
to stop. But that fact doesn't validate it.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

No, the most important thing is for taxpayers (AKA: "Users") to lynch
traffic "engineers" who insist on foisting such silliness as
"roundabouts", "left turn only" arrows, and other "traffic calming
devices" on the rest of us.

Ok, I'll agree with that. You bring the torches, I'll bring the stakes.

This "roundabout" thing seems to come around every twenty years or so.
We replaced all the roundabouts in NY for safety reasons twenty years
ago. Now they are being installed for safety reasons.

No, the most important thing is for taxpayers (AKA: "Users") to lynch
traffic "engineers" who insist on foisting such silliness as
"roundabouts", "left turn only" arrows, and other "traffic calming
devices" on the rest of us.

As you can see even here, efforts to change behavior rarely work. I
wish people (elected and non) would learn this and just leave us alone!

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I have been waiting for this opportunity!

You don't get "the leans" sitting in a chair playing MSFS!

However, you might try setting MSFS up on a rotating chair-desk combo,
and having a friend spin it slowly but at gently varying rates while you
sim in the dark.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Apparently some
traffic engineer decided that we, as drivers, were no longer competent
at judging speed/time/distance in our heads, and thus could no longer
be trusted to safely turn left when the light is green.

Dunno about where you are, but around here, if both lights turned green,
nobody after the first car could turn left. There are just too many of
them coming the other way.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...

I have been waiting for this opportunity!

You don't get "the leans" sitting in a chair playing MSFS!

However, you might try setting MSFS up on a rotating chair-desk combo,
and having a friend spin it slowly but at gently varying rates while you
sim in the dark.

If you do that you may also want to keep some barf bags handy!

Back to the original topic of this thread for a moment and speaking to the
usefulness of GA - our company plane allows us to do things that would not
be practical without it. These days it is a major pain to take any
technical test equipment on the airlines, let alone a technical, sensitive,
and sometimes heavy product.

No problem, we just toss it in the back of our plane and head out. We have
gotten equipment sales because we were able to show up at a customer's plant
the same day and put a trial unit in place. We can also fly out to a
customer's plant on a moment's notice and on our own schedule. Our
competitors simply cannot do that.

We have also gotten sales because we could go out and pick up the customer
and bring him back to our plant for a demo. We paid for the purchase price
of our plane the first time we did this - it was a large sale that was going
to be given to the competition. The customer had already made up his mind
and didn't want to put in a 12 hr round trip drive just to see us, so he had
ruled us out. But, when we told him we could have him back at his desk by
early that afternoon he agreed to come up and we ended up with the sale.
There are many more stories like that.

BDS

Old January 4th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

... you're conveniently forgetting the requirement for
basic instrument instruction in the PPL, which you have not gone through and
which is the very foundation of any "instrument flight" ...

I haven't forgotten it, I've just disregarded it, since if it had any
teeth, there wouldn't be so many non-IR pilots dying when they
encounter IMC.

It's not good enough by anybody's standards except your own.

My own standards are the only ones that count. However, there are
others who have similar standards, including some real-world pilots.

The authorities, not you, make the rules
regarding what constitutes "instrument flight" (your choice of words, not
mine, so you're going to be held by it).

You must be in Germany.

The authorities only make regulations and law, not reality. If you
are flying with only instruments, you are in instrument flight,
authorities or not.

How would you know? Have you used them?

I've looked into them, but I've never used them ... mainly because
they are overpriced and underfeatured (thanks to the certification).

And it doesn't matter anyway, since, as I said
above, YOU are not the one deciding what is "instrument flight".

Instrument flight is pretty self-evident. If you are using
instruments alone, it's instrument flight.

Because. It's the way certification of instrument rated pilots works. A
simple matter of definition.

But that's not the same thing. Instrument _flight_ and instrument
_rating_ are not the same thing. The former is defined by the reality
of how you fly; the latter is a conceptual invention.

Why are you making life so hard for yourself and your fellow humans?

I'm not.

BUT the point is this: You have in no way and nowhere nearly the
qualification to say you have "learned instrument flight".

Try me.

There are strict and clear definitions regarding what that statement means
and what it requires.

Those definitions are arbitrary and limited in scope. The reality of
instrument flight is otherwise, no matter what the "official"
definitions might say.

You don't fulfil those requirements by a long shot. Many here do.

Very few here do.

And you DO offend them by claiming you have the requirement without really
having it ...

Offense cannot be given, only taken.

... because they have put a lot of effort and money into getting it -
and they are just as proud of their knowledge as you are.

Pride goeth before a fall.

I am not proud of what I know, but I am not unwilling to state it,
either.

So why not show a little respect?

I show respect where it is due, and even then only in extreme
moderation. People untroubled by pride do not need respect to stroke
their egos.

You'd be met with respect in turn.

I don't need respect, and I don't care whether I get it or not.

And you'd be telling the truth about your qualifications instead
of just making them up.

I don't lie.

Old January 4th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

bdl writes:

How do you know? Plenty of people thought they knew it well enough in
the simulator.

And?

Old January 4th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Skylune writes:

It is probably easier to fly a little spam can than the exercises you
describe flying different aircraft on the sim.

I don't know. Flying a spam cam is different, at least in simulation,
but I wouldn't call it easier. It depends on what you're good at.

It is true that most
anyone that wants to can fly. Even convicted drug dealers are eligible
to obtain PPLs.

As long as they are rich and in robust health.

Old January 4th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

Other things related to his presence generate disruptions to the
group as well. Posts that discuss him that he didn't start nor
directly involve him come to mind. One question is why someone would
generate such reactions from others? I understand it as a typical
response to an outsider whose primary objective is to provoke. One
can witness such behavior in almost any social venue.

He doesn't start those posts.

I do believe that the above "...he didn't start nor directly involve
him..." covers that. '-)

There is a "gang up" mentality in
almost all groups, this one included. Once started ("fairly" or not)
it's hard to stop. But that fact doesn't validate it.

Just to be clear, I'm not justifying the behavior, merely noting that it
isn't at all unusual in human social interactions. One who chooses to
repeatedly exhibit behavior that elicits such responses is not that
dissimilar to someone who finds themselves in frequent bar fights; they
are not innocent victims of the abuse they receive.

Neil

Old January 4th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Mxsmanic wrote:
How do you know? Plenty of people thought they knew it well enough in
the simulator.

And?

And maybe you are wrong as well. Until you actually do "instrument
flight" in a real airplane with real clouds, you wouldn't know.

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM