Wearing a G-1 Flight Jacket Off Base?

Old October 27th 03, 05:51 PM
Joe Osman

R wrote:

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Once upon a time all the Navy and Marines wore brown shoes.

More precisely, at least when I was in, 1946-47 and 51-54, marines
wore cordovan shoes. So dark brown they could pass for black. Worn
with dress blues as well a greens and khakis.

When I became a Midshipman, V-5 (aviation cadet) in 1949, we were
issued black shoes to wear with khakis, whites, and blues.

I believe in late 1963/early 1964 the Marines changed to black shoes.

Last marine I saw, a couple of years ago, was wearing cordovan shoes.

vince norris

During my time in the USMCR (57-59) enlisted wore brown, officers wore
cordovan and all wore brown boots. Sharp dressed Marines enlisted personnel
would put a light coat of black polish on their dress shoes occasionally, to
make them look better with a kind of "highlighted effect", but if you
overdid it, the Gunny would see that you were occupied after hours with
saddle soap taking it down to bare leather and starting over again.

I am pretty sure that they changed to all black in late 63. During my time
in the Navy, I spent a year (actually 16 months) with the Marines in ANLICO
and all the Marines at Camp Lejeune NC wore black shoes and boots, and dirty
boots in Vietnam (1966) . From 73-94, I didn't really look that close, but
the Marines around the Navy Annex, and Pentagon wore black shoes.

Sometime in the 90's they started wearing brown boots again. I have seen
Marines almost every day since I retired from DOD in 94, and they all wear
black shoes. Today boots can be black with the old style Woodland camo
uniform or brown with the new type computer generated camo pattern uniform.
I haven't asked, so I don't know if black bots can be worn with the new
camo, or if brown boots can be worn with old camo. And I have no idea what
color boots are appropriate to wear with the new camo, and the Gor-Tex
Woodland Extreme Weather Parka.

Red Rider

Sh*t! the next thing you know a person in the US Armed Forces will have to
have a butler to get properly dressed.

Some of the Air Force officers I work with have told me that
the large number of unifornms required of a Naval Officer
was one of the factors that led them to join the Air Force.

Joe

Old October 27th 03, 06:16 PM
Mike Kanze

Peter - Are you sorry that you asked your question? g

This uniform was also worn during the Veracruz affair of 1914 and is the

beginnings of khaki use in the USN.

FADM Halsey's autobiography speaks of his ship's company boiling their
whites in coffee to supplement the Vera Cruz landing force with gobs in
uniforms appropriate to the task. (Halsey was a blackshoe destroyerman at
the time, and his ship was a part of the Vera Cruz operation.)

During the war Fleet Admiral EJ King designed a grey uniform that he

proposed to be all purpose, eliminating khaki and the service dress blues
(which he felt, reportedly, were too much like the Royal Navy).

An additional reason posited for the grey uniform - somewhat hokey IMHO -
was that personnel would blend in with grey-painted hull and not stand out
as they would in blues, khakis or whites.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

- Henny Youngman

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
"Justin Broderick" wrote in message

k.net...
"R" wrote in message
m...

[rest snipped]

Old October 27th 03, 06:50 PM
John Miller

Peter Twydell wrote:

Certainly unforgettable, an extremely clever and talented man, but he
was never a Goon.

Somebody must have dropped a great heavy lump of coal on my head. Not a
Goon after all, even though he appeared *on* the show, didn't he? I was
under the impression that he was the Goons' pianist.

--
John Miller
My email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.

Old October 27th 03, 09:34 PM
Justin Broderick

(Rich) wrote in message . com...

During the war Fleet Admiral EJ King designed a grey uniform that he
proposed to be all purpose, eliminating khaki and the service dress
blues (which he felt, reportedly, were too much like the Royal Navy).
Never a popular uniform and generally only worn in King's presence or
in East Coast commands where he was likely to appear, it barely
survived his tenure and was no longer authorized after 1948.

Working gray was supposed to replace working khaki, but not service
dress blue. After early '43 blues could be "dress," which was the
basic pre-war SD blues (A, B or C), or "service" which could have
stripes only halfway round the sleeves and could be worn with the
"service" combination cap (black chinstrap instead of gold and no
scambled eggs) or blue garrison cap. Service blues could also be worn
with the gray shirt and collar insignia, another of King's ideas that
didn't really catch on.

Gray short-sleeved shirts and shorts were also supposed to replace
tropical khaki, but I don't know if anyone ever actually wore it.
Grays were considered something of an abomination in the PTO.

For a brief time in the 1980's aviation greens were not authorized and
the use of brown shoes with khakis was likewise done away with, but in
recent years greens have made a comeback and are authorized to be worn
with brown shoes.

Did Lehman bring back the aviation greens?

--Justin
Old October 27th 03, 09:42 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/27/03 3:34 PM, in article
, "Justin Broderick"
wrote:

(Rich) wrote in message
. com...

[...]

They never went away. It's just that most folks choose not to buy them, and
since their a working uniform, no aviation skipper I know of has ever
required their wear.

--Woody

Old October 27th 03, 10:41 PM
Jake Donovan

I haven't seen anyone wearing Aviation Greens since the mid 80's. They are
still in the Uniform Regs though. (As someone stated earlier, we have
enough uniforms to drag around with us.)

JD

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/27/03 3:34 PM, in article
, "Justin Broderick"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 28th 03, 01:18 AM
vincent p. norris

During my time in the USMCR (57-59) enlisted wore brown,

Could you give me a little more info? "Brown" covers a lot of
territory. Was it a very dark brown, that could be mistaken for
black, or a lighter brown?

officers wore cordovan and all wore brown boots.

By "boots" I assume you mean something that sort of resembled the
paratrooper boots of WW II?

We had nothing like that when I was in. We had ankle-high "field
shoes," which we called "boondockers," that were made of inside-out
(suede) leather that was very light brown when new. I can't recall
ever hearing them called "boots."

They were nice in a cold drafty airplane in winter; we could tuck the
legs of the flight suit into them.

vince norris

Old October 28th 03, 03:42 AM
Larry

I haven't seen anyone wearing Aviation Greens since the mid 80's.
They were pretty expensive- You could blow about $650 on the whole set real
fast. I located my jacket and pants in a thrift shop, so all I had to get
was a few long sleeve shirts at the uniform shop.

I made it a point to wear mine for the 50th anniversary of the bombing of
Pearl Harbor when I was stationed at Barbers Point, Hawaii. I was amazed how
many folks had never seen it before. I always thought it was a really cool
looking uniform and I enjoyed the "nostalgia".

Yes, the wool was kinda warm during the day- oh well :-)

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
I haven't seen anyone wearing Aviation Greens since the mid 80's. They

are
still in the Uniform Regs though. (As someone stated earlier, we have
enough uniforms to drag around with us.)

JD

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/27/03 3:34 PM, in article
, "Justin Broderick"
wrote:

. com...

Old October 28th 03, 08:22 AM
Peter Twydell

In article , John Miller writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

Certainly unforgettable, an extremely clever and talented man, but he
was never a Goon.

Somebody must have dropped a great heavy lump of coal on my head. Not a
Goon after all, even though he appeared *on* the show, didn't he? I was
under the impression that he was the Goons' pianist.

Are you sure it wasn't a batter pudding that hit you?

Dud was born in 1935, which makes him a bit young. AFAIK he never
appeared in a Goon Show. The musicians were a BBC outfit led by Wally
Stott, the Ray Ellington Quartet, and Max Geldray.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old October 29th 03, 02:14 AM
vincent p. norris

We had nothing like that when I was in. We had ankle-high "field
shoes," which we called "boondockers," that were made of inside-out
(suede) leather that was very light brown when new. I can't recall
ever hearing them called "boots."

They were nice in a cold drafty airplane in winter; we could tuck the
legs of the flight suit into them.

vince norris

That doesn't make sense, because somehow, the first sentence of the
second paragraph got lost in the shuffle. It should read:

Some of us (pilots) wore half-Wellingtons, which we did call "boots."

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Wearing a G-1 flight jacket off base? Michael Naval Aviation 31 October 25th 03 08:29 AM