A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FLARM antenna mounts for ASG-29

Old September 2nd 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Default FLARM antenna mounts for ASG-29

I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed.

Happy Labor Day!

Sean
Old September 2nd 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:13:15 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed.

Happy Labor Day!

Sean

First find out if the nose on your ship is reinforced with CF . . .

Rex Mayes has been installing the small center fed dipole antennas inside the nose on the ASH26E. That works very well, as the wall of the nose is fiberglass. Unfortunately, on the 31Mi there is a course weave of carbon, that you can easily see looking from the inside with strong light outside, which precludes that location due to the carbon. Not sure about the ASG-29.

Anyway, with the carbon reinforced nose you have fewer options. I've seen a couple of installs with the dipoles mounted under the glareshield with the upper radiator poking through a hole in the shield. Sub-optimal due to the metal bits and equipment blocking the RF, but I'm guessing it still works.

bumper

Old September 2nd 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Used a cardboard temp and it works right out of the box. Impressive. The oudie shows me riding my bike around the airport with a portable. Will build (wish this was commercially available) a nicer one this winter when able.

Thanks!!

Sean
Old September 2nd 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed. Happy Labor Day! Sean

Sean,

Some other antenna options that are cleaner and work. I believe the 2.3" will fit in the 29. Measure the height available, if you can fit the 3.4 use it. They also have a 18" cable length so less loss.

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 2nd 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5
external usenet poster

I know someone who made antenna holders with a 3D printer.

Old September 2nd 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 2, 2013 1:39:02 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:13:15 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote: I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed. Happy Labor Day! Sean Sean, Some other antenna options that are cleaner and work. I believe the 2.3" will fit in the 29. Measure the height available, if you can fit the 3.4 use it. They also have a 18" cable length so less loss. http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm Richard www.craggyaero.com

There are photos on the ASW-27 group site showing PF installation using above antenna.
UH
Old September 4th 13, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster

I have had really good results building mounts from plexiglass. You can buy inexpensive 1/8" sheets at any hardware store and easily cut it with a fine jigsaw. With a heat gun you can bend, twist and form it to a variety of shapes and it remains clear and strong once it cools.

May be worth trying out for your needs.

On Monday, September 2, 2013 3:09:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2013 1:39:02 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:13:15 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote: I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed. Happy Labor Day! Sean Sean, Some other antenna options that are cleaner and work. I believe the 2.3" will fit in the 29. Measure the height available, if you can fit the 3.4 use it. They also have a 18" cable length so less loss. http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm Richard www.craggyaero.com

There are photos on the ASW-27 group site showing PF installation using above antenna.

UH

Old September 5th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.
external usenet poster

Consider the "what if" if you have to jettison your canopy. You don't want the antenna wires restricting the canopy ejection during an emergency.
Craig
Old September 5th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

It's doubtful those flimsy cables/mounts would retain a canopy against the
relative wind.

"Craig R." wrote in message
Consider the "what if" if you have to jettison your canopy. You don't want
the antenna wires restricting the canopy ejection during an emergency.
Craig

Old September 5th 13, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.
external usenet poster

Dan, some of the top pilots in the world flying 29's will disagree with you and have taken precautions for their antenna installation.

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:02:51 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
It's doubtful those flimsy cables/mounts would retain a canopy against the
relative wind.