IL2 Forgotten Battles Displays upside down

Old May 10th 05, 10:20 AM
LeonardR

Default IL2 Forgotten Battles Displays upside down

Hi folks;

Hope you can help me I have just installed IL2 Forgotten Battles but
everytime i start it up it displays upside down on my system.

I dont know how to fix this any suggestions?

I am running it on a newly purchased computer with XP Professional,
2.8GHz CPu and 504 Mb of ram.

The system runs FS2002, CFS2 and CFS3 rightway up but IL2 FB runs
upside down.

Thanks for any help

Old May 10th 05, 12:14 PM
Quilljar

You are taking the Mickey aren't you?

Check your joystick config in IL2, maybe it's set to inverted :-) :-)

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

Old May 10th 05, 06:47 PM
Peter Duniho

"LeonardR" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running it on a newly purchased computer with XP Professional,
2.8GHz CPu and 504 Mb of ram.

504MB? Really? That's a very strange number of MB of RAM to have
installed.

The system runs FS2002, CFS2 and CFS3 rightway up but IL2 FB runs
upside down.

What kind of video card do you have? What resolution (width, height, pixel
depth) are you using for the game? For your desktop?

I suspect that your default resolution is something unusual, and that IL2
doesn't correctly handle the inverted frame buffer format (it's assuming
it's a normal top-down format, when the resolution is actually bottom-up).
I've never actually heard of that happening, but it's the only thing that
makes sense to me, given that other games work on your computer, and that it
seems sure that IL2 runs fine on other people's computers.

If changing the desktop and/or game to a more conventional resolution
doesn't help, there may be a setting somewhere in the video card "Advanced"
settings that will help. It may or may not be obvious; the
top-down/bottom-up thing might be affected by some seemingly unrelated
setting, like texture MIP-mapping, z-buffer settings, or something like
that.

If you do get it fixed, please post back here to describe what you needed to
do to fix it (and what was wrong in the first place).

Pete

Old May 11th 05, 12:23 PM
LeonardR

thanks for that I will go through the settings and see what has gone
wrong and let you know.

The wife mentioned that i might want to stand on my head to play the
game, not too sure if she was serious though :-)

Old May 11th 05, 07:23 PM
Peter Duniho

"LeonardR" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
The wife mentioned that i might want to stand on my head to play the
game, not too sure if she was serious though :-)

Might not be a bad way to simulate the "red out" during those hard
negative-G maneuvers.

Old May 12th 05, 12:15 PM
LeonardR

Well I tried every setting possible with no joy. I am going to try it
on my laptop and see if the prob shows on a different system.

I dont understand how this computer can play CFS2 But not mission
builder), CFS3 and FS2002 without a hitch but not IL2 FB.

the system i am running it on is

HP Compaq DX6120 MT(PV02PA)
Windows XP PRO
2.8GHx CPU with 504MB ram (yep odd but true)

and the Video adaptor which runs everything else is id as
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family with 128MB RAM

It's frustrating as IL2 FB has all the aircraft i have been looking for
in one place.

Ah well will let you know if i fix it

thanks

Old May 12th 05, 09:41 PM
Peter Duniho

"LeonardR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I tried every setting possible with no joy. I am going to try it
on my laptop and see if the prob shows on a different system.

I dont understand how this computer can play CFS2 But not mission
builder), CFS3 and FS2002 without a hitch but not IL2 FB.

What doesn't work about the mission builder? Is it upside down too?

Also, can you confirm that by "upside down", you really mean that the
vertical axis is reversed? That is, the image isn't rotated 180 degrees,
but rather is as though you're looking at it in a mirror oriented
horizontally? (And thus, playing on your head wouldn't really fix the
problem, because all the text would be reversed)

[...]
and the Video adaptor which runs everything else is id as
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family with 128MB RAM

Intel claims that your adapter works fine with IL2:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphic.../CS-011967.htm

Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for that hardware?
It's possible that there used to be a known problem that was fixed with a
driver update.

I suppose that there's a remote possibility that there's something wrong
with the video adapter hardware itself. Is your computer still under
warranty? Have you checked with HP to ask them about the problem?

Whether it's a hardware problem or not, I suppose one solution would be to
just get a new graphics adapter. It's not like Intel's stuff is known for
being all that great in the first place; probably wouldn't cost much to get
something at least as good.

Pete

Old May 14th 05, 05:40 AM
LeonardR

yep upside down but not mirrored if i was to turn the monitor 180
degrees i could play. I am going to check the drivers and see if that
works. If not then a new adapter will have to be sourced and installed.

Thanks for all your help

Old May 14th 05, 06:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"LeonardR" wrote in message
oups.com...
yep upside down but not mirrored if i was to turn the monitor 180
degrees i could play.

Hmmm...well, that doesn't make any sense to me at all. I can think of no
way for software to cause that, except to *explicitly* code for it.

Reversed vertically but not horizontally, that could just be a video buffer
format issue, because there are two basic formats (top-down and bottom-up).
But to reverse the image horizontally and vertically at the same time would
require extra code, code that just has no reason to be in there in the first
place.

Very very odd.

Unless, of course, someone (driver or game) tried to handle the two formats
correct, but mixed up the horizontal and vertical reversal. I suppose that
might do it (but that would be a pretty dumb mistake to make, that's for
sure -- since PC video is very much scan-line based -- not to mention pretty
dumb to miss in testing).

I am going to check the drivers and see if that works.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If not then a new adapter will have to be sourced and installed.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm worried it might. Did you check
with Compaq? I still think there's a small possibility you're dealing with
a hardware error; if the PC is still under warranty, they might be able to
fix it.

Thanks for all your help

Heh, sure, no problem...as if I've actually accomplished anything. Good
luck!

Pete