Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed.

Old April 26th 04, 06:46 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dude,

One way to look at it is total aircraft numbers versus aircraft with
fatal accidents - which is what Richard Collins does in the latest
issue of Flying. Cirrus is comparable to the 182S that way. Many other
planes are much worse. The one fatal accident after the mag appeared
doesn't change that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 08:02 AM
Thomas Borchert

C,

Well, we realize that you think this plane was built by the flawless gods,

Why the ad hominems? Just because I don't agree with you?

The Cirrus cannot.

Again: how do you know? Data, please.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 08:02 AM
Thomas Borchert

Vaughn,

A capability for a normal spin recovery sounds like a much better idea.

Define normal.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 08:02 AM
Thomas Borchert

Edr,

prior to the current rash of
accidents.

only one of which was fatal...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 08:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

I have heard, though cannot confirm, that some kind of spin
certification will be required for JAA certification, so hopefully
that will put this issue to rest.

Coming from a JAA country: Yes, the JAA seems to hesitate to certify
the aircraft without the "standard" spin testing. All Cirri (?) in
Europe are US-registered so far. Cirrus and JAA seem to be still
debating the issue, since AFAIK the JAA/FAA mutual acceptance of
certification agreements seem to require the JAA to certify it. Then
again, those same agreements should have led to a much quicker
certification of the Thielert Centurion by the FAA, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 11:12 AM
Vaughn

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:44:39 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

A capability for a normal spin recovery sounds like a much better idea.

Except spin recovery isn't part of the curriculum any more.

We are not talking about a trainer, we are talking about an advanced,
owner-flown, plane that will occasionally end up in an inadvertant spin. Any
pilot that has enough experience to be flying one shout at least be able to
recite the standard spin recovery procedure.

Vaughn

Don

Old April 26th 04, 11:15 AM
Vaughn

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Vaughn,

A capability for a normal spin recovery sounds like a much better idea.

Define normal.

The "standard" spin recovery or one that is specified in the POH that does
not guarantee a (however gentle) crash.

Vaughn

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 01:10 PM
EDR

In article , Thomas Borchert
wrote:

prior to the current rash of accidents.

Edr,
only one of which was fatal...

What is your point?
That it has to be a fatal to be an accident, and if there are no fatals
it doesn't count?
Old April 26th 04, 02:04 PM
C J Campbell

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
C,

Well, we realize that you think this plane was built by the flawless

gods,

Why the ad hominems? Just because I don't agree with you?

Your POV is taking on the tone of a religious fanatic. You seem unwilling to
accept any criticism of the Cirrus whatsoever, even well-established facts.

The Cirrus cannot.

Again: how do you know? Data, please.

Cirrus' own web site says so. So does the POH. The Cirrus cannot recover
from a spin without pulling the parachute and did not do so in tests. The
parachute cannot be deployed below 900' AGL. Therefore, the Cirrus cannot
recover from a spin when below 900' AGL. Many other aircraft can. So far,
however, you have been unwilling to accept any data that disagrees with your
point of view.

Old April 26th 04, 02:06 PM
C J Campbell

"Dave Katz" wrote in message
I've got about 500 hours in both SR20s and SR22s, so I'll throw out
some real world experience (not that it's worth anything in a
newsgroup, but here goes.)

The folks claiming that they stall without warning

Anyone here make such a claim? Or is this just a straw man argument?