service terminated squawk 1200

Old June 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default service terminated squawk 1200

I'm curious how important it really is to punch in 1200 as soon as the
controller instructs squawk 1200 as you approach for landing at an
uncontrolled field. I've always blown it off and just landed with my
original code. My thinking is 1) Of the things I need to do to
configure for landing, watch for traffic, get the plane slowed down,
etc this is way, way down on my important to-do list 2) What the heck
can ATC care anyway, are they going to reuse that code in the next 2
minutes 3) If something did happen to me, maybe they'd have a better
radar track if I'm still on the old code??

Im just curious from controllers how important is this change in code
before landing.

-Robert, CFI

Old June 13th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I'm curious how important it really is to punch in 1200 as soon as the
controller instructs squawk 1200 as you approach for landing at an
uncontrolled field.

Just one opinion: I was taught Aviate, Navigate, Communicate (in that
order). Transponder is just a communication, if I felt (as pilot in
command) that squawking VFR while entering the pattern to land would
reduce safety, then I wouldn't do it. I think it'd be important to
switch it before flying again, but I doubt a controller would be that
agitated if you kept it for a minute longer.

I'm also curious to hear what a controller has to say about this.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old June 13th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Suppose you have to do a missed approach or just go around. What does
the controller want to see you as? You "own" the runway until you
terminate the code, so maybe the issue is when can the controller have
another plane start an approach.

Old June 13th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Stubby" wrote in message
news
Suppose you have to do a missed approach or just go around. What does
the controller want to see you as? You "own" the runway until you
terminate the code, so maybe the issue is when can the controller have
another plane start an approach.

I think Robert was talking about VFR flight following, not an IFR approach.
If it were an IFR approach, you'd only be instructed to squawk 1200 if you'd
cancelled IFR--but in that case, you're now VFR and you no longer "own" the
runway (and if you have to go missed, you're still just VFR; if you re-enter
the clouds, you're VFR in IMC).

--Gary

Old June 13th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Stubby wrote:
Suppose you have to do a missed approach or just go around. What does
the controller want to see you as? You "own" the runway until you
terminate the code, so maybe the issue is when can the controller have
another plane start an approach.

This assumes VFR.

-Robert

Old June 13th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you are close to the airport and busy during the approach don't
worry about changing the squawk code and turn it off once on the
ground...
If you are not busy during the approach, dial in 1200 as convenient..
The controller will not care as you are in the airport traffic area and
no longer his problem...
denny

Old June 13th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm curious how important it really is to punch in 1200 as soon as the
controller instructs squawk 1200 as you approach for landing at an
uncontrolled field. I've always blown it off and just landed with my
original code. My thinking is 1) Of the things I need to do to
configure for landing, watch for traffic, get the plane slowed down,
etc this is way, way down on my important to-do list 2) What the heck
can ATC care anyway, are they going to reuse that code in the next 2
minutes 3) If something did happen to me, maybe they'd have a better
radar track if I'm still on the old code??

Im just curious from controllers how important is this change in code
before landing.

-Robert, CFI

Robert,

If you don't go 1200 for some time and they really want you to they will
tell you so! I understand about some times being to busy with other things
that are going on that prohibit the task of squawking 1200 for a few min.
The new digital transponders with the one touch VFR button is awesome.

Old June 13th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm curious how important it really is to punch in 1200 as soon as the
controller instructs squawk 1200 as you approach for landing at an
uncontrolled field. I've always blown it off and just landed with my
original code. My thinking is 1) Of the things I need to do to
configure for landing, watch for traffic, get the plane slowed down,
etc this is way, way down on my important to-do list 2) What the heck
can ATC care anyway, are they going to reuse that code in the next 2
minutes 3) If something did happen to me, maybe they'd have a better
radar track if I'm still on the old code??

Im just curious from controllers how important is this change in code
before landing.

Remaining on the discrete code for a few minutes is unlikely to cause any
problems.

Old June 13th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Stubby" wrote in message
news

Suppose you have to do a missed approach or just go around. What does
the controller want to see you as? You "own" the runway until you
terminate the code, so maybe the issue is when can the controller have
another plane start an approach.

The controller isn't going to tell you to squawk 1200 if you're still IFR
and your beacon code has nothing to do with "owning" the runway.

Old June 13th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..

I think Robert was talking about VFR flight following, not an IFR
approach. If it were an IFR approach, you'd only be instructed to squawk
1200 if you'd cancelled IFR--but in that case, you're now VFR and you no
longer "own" the runway (and if you have to go missed, you're still just
VFR; if you re-enter the clouds, you're VFR in IMC).

Being IFR or VFR has nothing to do with "owning" the runway.

Which Military Service is best? ArtKramr Military Aviation 33 September 19th 04 04:12 PM
Air Force Chief Sounds Off as Service Birthday Approaches Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 03:54 AM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Service Bulletins, Service Letters, Service Spares Letters O. Sami Saydjari Owning 5 December 26th 03 05:36 AM