Historical question

Old September 1st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Pyeatt

Default Historical question

Hopefully someone can tell me where and when was a glider first towed aloft
by an aircraft?

TNX !!

Don

Old September 1st 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 31, 9:05?pm, "Don Pyeatt" wrote:
Hopefully someone can tell me where and when was a glider first towed aloft
by an aircraft?

TNX !!

Don

Vol 2 of Peter Riedel's 3 vol. history of the Wasserkuppe, chapter 5
is dedecated to this question.

It looks like the first successful and repeted airplane tows were done
at Kassel-Waldau airport, Germany, 12 March 1927 by Gerhard Fieseler
in the tow plane and Gottlob Espenlaub in the glider. Repeted on 20
March 1927.

By May of that year airplane towing was used for a glider acrobatic
contest at Rossitten on the Baltic coast in then East Prussia.

Even if you do not read German, Riedel's history of the Wasserkuppe is
an important work to own. It is also the history of gliding and the
Germans who invented it. It is worth having for the pictures alone.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

Old September 1st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Any ideas where it might be available to purchase? Any venues in the
US sell it?
Thanks,
Ryan in Madison

Old September 2nd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Ryan, I found one set, using Bookfinder. $378.00
Here's the link:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...J5yjCibXiC2wVk
fspCaNCxKI_0383374384_1:31:42

Old September 2nd 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 1, 10:27?pm, Nyal Williams
wrote:
Ryan, I found one set, using Bookfinder. $378.00
Here's the link:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...J5yjCibXiC2wVk
fspCaNCxKI_0383374384_1:31:42

At 15:48 01 September 2007, wrote:

Any ideas where it might be available to purchase?
Any venues in the
US sell it?
Thanks,
Ryan in Madison- Hide quoted text -

In 1995 on the Wasserkuppe I paid 56 German marks per volume.

I have no idea what that would convert to in US dollers now, but $378
seems a bit high. .

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

Historical FARs Matt Whiting Piloting 2 December 23rd 06 04:44 PM
BD-5 historical questions Maury Markowitz Home Built 37 December 21st 05 06:39 PM
A bit of aviation-historical news Seppo Sipilä General Aviation 0 June 21st 05 07:10 PM
Historical Weather Data John Piloting 3 May 10th 05 02:27 PM
An Historical Perspective on the Wright Accomplishment Gary Osoba Soaring 5 December 19th 03 12:35 AM