Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 13th 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Eeyore[_2_]

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

dgs wrote:

Many English beers have even less alcohol content;
it's not uncommon to see ales at 3.8% abv, and mild ales go even lower.

Try finding anywhere selling mild other than at beer 'exhibitions'. I have
never known ANYONE to drink it.

The usual traditional British beer is 'bitter' which mostly ranges from
around 4 - 5.5%. A few go over 6%.

Graham

Old March 13th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Eeyore[_2_]

dave hillstrom wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
dave hillstrom wrote:
Dylan Smith wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Is that a real pint or a short pint?

WTF is a short pint?

Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

Absurd nonsense.

Graham

argue your point, then, instead of following the standard brit way of
digging a hole in the sand and sticking your head in it, all the while
crying "im invisible! no one can see me!".

So, what do you think most popular British beers average in alcohol
content ? And what's your claim for US beers ?

Personally I consider US beers to be little better than **** water. RICE
used in them ? Jeeeez !

Beat this btw .....

"Golden Pride, dubbed the "Cognac of Beers" is an 8.5% abv full bodied
beer."
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/n...rticleid=57749

It's lovely stuff too. Don't drink too much of it !

Graham

Old March 13th 08, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Mar 12, 2:01*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote :

On Mar 10, 10:47 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
If Joe tries first to speak spanish (or german, or french, or...
etc) even if he fails
misserably, that will be seen as an ice breaker and he'll be able
to continue
in english if needed. Most europeans speak decent english in turist
cities, and
a lot even in more remote places.

When I travel abroad and my size and demeanor label me as an American
(that's tall, not wide).

As soon as I begin speaking French, the barriers dissolve and the
welcomes begin.

It's sad, in a way, but understandable. I've silently witnessed the
"Tourists" coming in and acting like asses.

I think if we stop all tourism departing from NY we'll solve 75% of
the problem.

Nah, americans are as amateurs compared to the Brits. They are, hands
donw, far and away, the worst tourists who ever lived. Americans ma be a
bit clueless, but they're actually ( and I'm generalising here) abit
more in awe of local culture even if they don;t like it. The brits will
throw a union jack over whatever it is they find, rename it and start
serving fish and chips. They're currently on a "**** over france" binge.
Their med resorts are simply appaling. I wandered into one in Corfu a
few years ago and it had to be seen to be believed. The Greeks wisely
tiled every public place in the town (Kavos) so they could hose them
down after they were finished.

Nah Aussies are far worse than Brits. We, I mean they, have little
respect for culture full stop.
We, I mean they , go to peaceful places like Bali and behave like
absolute *******, getting ****ed out of their
brains at every opportunity. We, I mean they, like going to Britain
just to hang **** on "the poms" and rub it in
their faces that they cant play cricket or rugby ( substitute any
activity that takes brawn over brain). We, I mean they
make lame jokes to mock every culture that ever lived on the planet.
We , I mean they , have created or populiarised, a derogatory term for
just about every country , except the ones we, I mean they, havent
heard of. Theres the Septic Tanks ( yanks ) Wogs, Nips ,Towell heads,
frogs, lesbos, boongs. Yep , we, I mean they , are shockers. Our , I
mean their, saving grace was that at least they didnt go around
bombing the crap out of other countries we, I mean they, have no
business being in ..... until our, I mean their , jerk of a prime
minister followed the village idiot into Iraq. ( our, I mean their,
lack of respect is particularly profound when it comes to
politicians ...of all persuasions )
Terry
PPL , Fisherman Downunder

Old March 13th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-12, dave hillstrom wrote:
there are actually quite a number of 9% beers in the US. in fact,
there are so many that some of the poorer, mainstream ones can be had
at any 7-11 type corner store.

They aren't beer, they are horse **** masquerading as beer. The poorer
quality strong ales are generally rank. They are usually just strong to
let people who want to boast about the strength of the beer get drunk.

this of course flies in the face of the standard british rant that
their beers are stronger than those in the USA.

That's not a standard rant I've heard. Perhaps I hang out with the wrong
people.

Having lived in both countries, and not liking crap, mass produced beer,
I've found the good, bad and indifferent in both. I have found good
beers in places such as Utah, believe it or not.

Beer lovers who rant about $OTHER_COUNTRY's beer probably simply haven't
actually been there.

"ours is stronger and better" that they are utterly and completely
full of ****.

I entirely agree. There are plenty of good quality beers in Europe,
Britain, the US and Canada. The general rule of thumb with all of them
is usually that the smaller breweries (i.e. the ones run by those who
are passionate about their product) have far superior output to mass
produced beer.

We are spoiled where I live. Three breweries and one distillery for a
population of 80,000.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old March 13th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-13, Eeyore wrote:
Many English beers have even less alcohol content;
it's not uncommon to see ales at 3.8% abv, and mild ales go even lower.

Try finding anywhere selling mild other than at beer 'exhibitions'. I have
never known ANYONE to drink it.

A number of the pubs here have Bushy's Mild (about 3.5% abv), which is a
very enjoyable drink. Especially if you're spending the night at the pub
and don't want to get bladdered.

There's a lot more to the enjoyment of beer than alcohol content.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old March 13th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-13, dave hillstrom wrote:
which is ANOTHER thing the brits are HEINOUSLY behind us US folks in.

go on, go to england and just TRY to find a fricken Barqs. go on.

Just go to the chemist (drug store) and pick up cough medicine. It
tastes just the same!

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old March 13th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

dave hillstrom wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
dave hillstrom wrote:
Dylan Smith wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't you be defacing a spanish beach with a union jack towel?

Bertie
Old March 13th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

dgs wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
dave hillstrom wrote:

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

Absurd nonsense.

Only to someone clueless about beer and alcohol content. English

beers
are often around 4.0% alcohol by volume, which is equivalent to 3.2%
alcohol by weight. Many English beers have even less alcohol

content;
it's not uncommon to see ales at 3.8% abv, and mild ales go even

lower.

And plenty go higher.

Mass-produced lagers brewed in England aren't terribly high in

alcohol,

5 - 5.2% for popular lagers like Stella and Holsten (both brewed

here).

with the exception of junk like "Kestrel Super Strength" and

"Carlsberg
Special Export" - high-alcohol high-adjunct liquid junk for people

who
might as well be drinking cheap wine or mixed drinks by the bucket.

Typical American mass-produced beers range from 4.0% abv to 5.0% abv,
and there are numerous American-made beers considerably stronger than
this. The fabled "three two" beer sold in some parts of the USA is
3.2% alcohol by WEIGHT - the same as 4.0% alcohol by volume.

Get your facts straight before your tedious pronouncement of "absurd
nonsense."

I suggest you read this. These London brewed beers are available in

the
USA.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...llers-beer.asp

6.3% abv
5.9% abv
4.7% abv
5.4% abv

Fukkin 'ell mayt! We can get ****ed and beat up sum poles, eh?

Bertie
Old March 13th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

terry wrote in
:

On Mar 12, 2:01*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote
innews:c0b81167-79ba-4aaf-b759-846832052424@

n36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Yeah, but they don't pretend that they do and they don't imagine that
they're superior.

We, I mean they , go to peaceful places like Bali and behave like
absolute *******, getting ****ed out of their
brains at every opportunity. We, I mean they, like going to Britain
just to hang **** on "the poms" and rub it in
their faces that they cant play cricket or rugby

ANd this is suposed t be a bad thing?

( substitute any
activity that takes brawn over brain). We, I mean they
make lame jokes to mock every culture that ever lived on the planet.
We , I mean they , have created or populiarised, a derogatory term for
just about every country , except the ones we, I mean they, havent
heard of. Theres the Septic Tanks ( yanks ) Wogs, Nips ,Towell heads,
frogs, lesbos, boongs.

Yeah, well, I have seen that aspect of them and that's not one of their
more attractive qualities. I reckon they got that from their forefathers
( the brits)

Bertie

Old March 13th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

dgs wrote:

Many English beers have even less alcohol content;
it's not uncommon to see ales at 3.8% abv, and mild ales go even
lower.

Try finding anywhere selling mild other than at beer 'exhibitions'. I
have never known ANYONE to drink it.

Yeh, lager for you eh mayt? Then go bust a few pakki heads?

Facist fjukkwit.

Bertie