Turbo Normalised Bonanza F33A

Old December 30th 03, 10:52 AM
Geoff Semler

Default Turbo Normalised Bonanza F33A

I am looking at buying a F33A which is turbonormalised. Does anyone have
any knowledge about the value this adds to the aircraft. I know the cost of
fitting but this one was done in 1991, and it is the original turbo. How
much does it add to the value of the basic aircraft?

TIA

Geoff
Old December 30th 03, 12:42 PM
Stu Gotts

Better get a good prebuy from a knowledgable Bonanza mechanic. You
can call the folks at GAMI for more info regarding the value. Good
luck.

Old December 30th 03, 02:18 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Geoff Semler" wrote in message
I am looking at buying a F33A which is turbonormalised. Does anyone have
any knowledge about the value this adds to the aircraft. I know the cost

of
fitting but this one was done in 1991, and it is the original turbo. How
much does it add to the value of the basic aircraft?

Who did the install?

Was it done to the original IO-520-BB or did they upgrade to the IO-550?

Were additional baffles installed?

Typically a TN F33A goes about $40K-$50K more than a comparable F33A, but
that's IF the engine was upgrade to a IO-550.

I'm looking to buy an F33 sometime early next week..ah, next year. The one
I'm looking at is coming up for overhaul, so I'll upgrade to the Millennium
550, add a built-in oxygen system and flap gap seals.

All that will add about $85K to the price, but most of it would be
recoverable value when moving up.

Let us know which way you go.

Old December 30th 03, 06:08 PM
EDR

In article , Geoff Semler
wrote:

I am looking at buying a F33A which is turbonormalised. Does anyone have
any knowledge about the value this adds to the aircraft. I know the cost of
fitting but this one was done in 1991, and it is the original turbo. How
much does it add to the value of the basic aircraft?

Email John Deakin of AvWeb. IIRC, that is what he flies and writes
about.
Old December 30th 03, 07:03 PM
markjen

I am looking at buying a F33A which is turbonormalised. Does anyone have
any knowledge about the value this adds to the aircraft. I know the cost

of
fitting but this one was done in 1991, and it is the original turbo. How
much does it add to the value of the basic aircraft?

This is all from memory so I hope the facts are correct. Remember what you
paid for this advice.

The TN system was probably done by the outfit in Pagosa Springs. I forget
their name. Some folks have had good luck with these, but I had a friend
who had a complete engine failure due to to cracked oil housing - they later
determined that the housing cracked because someone used it as a pry-point
while putting in the turbo and others have reported general sloppiness in
how they did their installations. The STC was sold to Tornado Alley
(www.taturbo.com) which has it now and I think provides good support. These
guys are highly regarded. I'd contact them about this airplane and see what
they know about it - they may have seen it before or have further records.

I'd feel more comfortable about a TN Bonanza if it has the VERY best cooling
mods and the VERY best engine insturmentation including six-point EGT and
CHT. TN works, but it really puts the onus on operating the engine within
limits on the pilot - you no longer have the safety net of the engine making
less power as cooling drops off with altitude. Many think the 550 holds up
better than the 520 with TN.

Of course, you want the best pre-buy money can buy.

As to value, I'd guess about 50% of the cost of doing the Tornado Alley
installation from scratch or about $25K. I think they've made some big
improvements in the last 13 years, and turbos wear out, so I don't see it
commanding more than this. If the seller wanted $40K extra for the TN, I'd
rather buy a normally aspirated plane and spend the extra $10K and get a
fresh installation with the latest/greatest stuff.

I assume you've made sure you really need the turbo. Personal prejudice
here, but the 520/550 has never been an engine that takes to turbocharging
as well as the Lycoming 540, perhaps because it doesn't use sodium valves
like the Lyc. And anytime you add a turbo, you raise the spectre of any
fuel leak leading to an engine fire, something that almost never happens
with normally aspirated engines - there have been some grisly engine fire
accidents in turbo Bonanzas. So if it were my money, I'd take the extra
dough for the turbo and buy an A36 as I'd use the room, useful load, and
larger CG envelope a lot more than I'd use the turbo. I'd also enjoy the
much nicer panel of the A36. Or I'd ante up to the A36TC or B36TC. A turbo
on an F33A results in a plane with great trip capability for light loads,
but most folks who take trips want to carry more people and stuff. But this
is all personal tradeoffs.

Good luck,

- Mark

Turbo prop AT-6/SNJ? frank may Military Aviation 11 September 5th 04 02:51 PM
A36 Bonanza turbo prop Jeff Owning 46 January 7th 04 02:37 PM
F33A Bonanza Alternator Light Peter Shurman Owning 4 July 18th 03 12:09 PM
Early Bonanza or Apache? Brinks Owning 11 July 16th 03 06:01 PM