Smart CDI diesel engine

Old January 9th 05, 06:11 AM
Morgans

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
k.net...

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.

It's also too fast!
John

It has occurred to me that a climb prop, combined with a "stutter box" to
limit RPM once level cruise has been established, would be a way to take
care of the "too fast" problems.

Comments?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 9th 05, 06:30 AM
Morgans

"kumaros" wrote in message
Morgans wrote:

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.

Morgan and John,
If you can do with just 50HP, Daihatsu has a jewel of a 659 cc 2-cycle
common-rail turbodiesel. I don't know, however, if it's available
outside Japan. These sophisticated engines sometimes are only available
in the domestic market, in K-cars.
Try this URL for more details:
http://www.daihatsu.com/motorshow/to...eco/index.html
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

I want that last one on the page! Max output at 3500 RPM, sounds good, too.
I wonder what it will take to get some of these.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 9th 05, 06:35 AM
Morgans

"R&R Sherwood" wrote in message
The diesel engine subject came up at the airport today. One of the guys
said that diesels put high stress on the propeller during the power

stroke.
Don't know if this is true but it is worth looking into if you are
considering using one.
Russell Sherwood

Zactly opposite. The diesel power stroke is longer in duration, with a more
constant pressure, and since it is a two stroke, the pulses are closer
together.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 9th 05, 10:08 AM
kumaros

R&R Sherwood wrote:
The diesel engine subject came up at the airport today. One of the guys
said that diesels put high stress on the propeller during the power stroke.
Don't know if this is true but it is worth looking into if you are
considering using one.
Russell Sherwood
SVX powered Glasair
Houston, TX

Hi Russell,
I'm not sure, maybe the guys are right about the first generation of
diesels, efficient but heavy beasts of burden, knocking and vibrating
and fuming. The modern common-rail turbodiesels, especially the latest
ones with multiple injections per combustion cycle are smoother than
even gas engines. Then, if you take an inherently smooth engine, like a
straight or a V6, you have the best of both worlds. If Jaguar could be
convinced to put one in their line of cars, it's good enough for me.
Then there are the even more cutting edge 2-stroke super- and
turbo-charged diesels. These are smooth and super efficient, like 90
mpg in the compact cars they go in, the K-cars of Japan.
Some 15 years ago I had a Suzuki microbus, which originally had a
2-stroke gas engine, hopelessly ruined when I bought it. I replaced the
engine myself with a 534 cc three cylinder 4-stroke from a newer
model, and I remember being able to carry the engine plus gearbox around
single-handed. The Japanese make wonderful stuff. It's a pity not
everything is for export.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me.
Old January 9th 05, 12:32 PM
Jan Carlsson

The Diesel engine, often have its peak torque at a lower RPM then red line,
(car gasoline engine too) this means it can drive the fixed pitch propeller
faster during take off and climb then the usual aircraft engine does under
the same criteria. result better climb.

The Diesel does have a strong punch and need some torque oscillation
dampenng, but that is not anything new, Junkers jumo used it in the -30th

Deltahawk did ruin a prop on there diesel during ground test.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

"karel" skrev i meddelandet

"Hans Zwakenberg" wrote in message
om...
Hi group,

can someone please tell me whether efforts are on the way already to
turn the Smart CDI diesel engine into an aircraft engine? I'm looking
for something (preferably a diesel) in the 80HP range. Maximum weight
should be appr. 75 Kg (165 lb). It looks to me the larger of the
Smart CDI's might fit the bill.

isn't this exactly what they do in the FK-9 smart?
or is that the petrol engine?
KA

Military Diesel Bike Engine sanman Home Built 8 November 12th 04 12:53 AM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM