Alternative to Jeppesen binders?

Old March 16th 04, 06:45 AM
Ditch

Default Alternative to Jeppesen binders?

Are there any alternatives to the Jeppesen binders? Even their plastic ones are
kinda pricey. Thanks...

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old March 16th 04, 05:10 PM
Peter R.

C J Campbell ) wrote:

You
can also save a ton of money just getting Jeppview on CD-ROM and printing
out only those plates that you need on regular paper, punching your own
holes, and putting them in the Acco binder. This is probably a lot cheaper
than using NOS charts, even.

CJ, I have been back and forth with the decision of using JeppView rather
than the standard Airway Manual and I honestly do not see the savings that
you claim.

For example, JeppView Northeast costs $290 for a one-year subscription,
whereas the Airway Manual Northeast cost $330. OK, so $40 dollars cheaper
for the CD version and the time savings of not having to file the paper
revisions every 14 days. So far, so good.

However, include the cost and time spent printing and hole punching,
keeping in mind that a proficient pilot would want to print approaches at
all airports along an x/c route in the event of an emergency, and the cost
and time savings seems to evaporate.

What am I missing that I do not see the "ton of money" savings?

--
Peter

Old March 17th 04, 12:23 PM

"Peter R." wrote:

C J Campbell ) wrote:

You
can also save a ton of money just getting Jeppview on CD-ROM and printing
out only those plates that you need on regular paper, punching your own
holes, and putting them in the Acco binder. This is probably a lot cheaper
than using NOS charts, even.

Another advantage is that you can print them out on 8 1/2 x 11 paper for a larger,
more colorful, easier-to-read chart. Charts don't change that fast, so the effort is
the biggest in the launch phase.

Old March 17th 04, 04:35 PM

I posted a PDF file of a Jepp chart from JeppView imported into Acrobat. Print this out
at full page size, and the result is a piece of paper much better than a paper Jeppesen
chart.

The file should appear on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation if the incest photos will make
room.

Old March 17th 04, 07:40 PM
Ben Jackson

In article , wrote:
I posted a PDF file of a Jepp chart from JeppView imported into Acrobat.
Print this out
at full page size, and the result is a piece of paper much better than a
paper Jeppesen
chart.

Their website claims they use vector-based representations of the charts,
so a good export to PS/PDF should print at any size. It sure would be
nice if the government distributed their data that way!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 18th 04, 12:54 AM

Ben Jackson wrote:

Their website claims they use vector-based representations of the charts,
so a good export to PS/PDF should print at any size. It sure would be
nice if the government distributed their data that way!

Their electronic charts are indeed vector-based, but they also consist mostly
of proprietary fonts that will not export to post script for a PDF file.

The only way you can print them is from within their software and your
license information takes a fair amount of the top of the chart. You will
note that the PDF file I posted has none of that; it's all chart. Granted,
it's a bitmap, but a very high resolution bit map.

Old March 18th 04, 06:46 AM
Greg Esres

mostly of proprietary fonts that will not export to post script for
a PDF file.

I do it all the time. I imported a drawing into CorelDraw so that I
could duplicate a lot of the symbols in order to draw my own charts.
I think the font they use is Helvetica; Arial is a fairly close match,
and to the casual observer, my charts look just like theirs.

Old March 18th 04, 07:13 PM
MichaelR

Sporty's is now selling the entire set of FAA TPP's on a DVD for $9.95:

http://sportys.com/pilotshop/pages/chartviewer.cfm

Old March 18th 04, 07:41 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "MichaelR" said:
Sporty's is now selling the entire set of FAA TPP's on a DVD for $9.95:
http://sportys.com/pilotshop/pages/chartviewer.cfm

Are the TPPs themselve in PDF format, or what? It says you need a Windows
PC, but if the that's only for the wizzy chart viewer program and the
actual data is in a non-proprietary format, I might subscribe.

The screen shot http://sportys.com/pilotshop/images/step4l.gif looks an
AWFUL lot like a web browser with an Adobe Acrobat plugin looking at a
PDF.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
FAQs are like flatulence. Any asshole can produce them.
Old March 18th 04, 07:46 PM
Peter R.

MichaelR ) wrote:

Sporty's is now selling the entire set of FAA TPP's on a DVD for $9.95:

http://sportys.com/pilotshop/pages/chartviewer.cfm

Wow! Only $120 (US) for a year's worth of updates, versus Jeppesen's $772.

Maybe it's time to switch back.

--
Peter