Limiting battery drain by using what?

Old July 23rd 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers

Default Limiting battery drain by using what?

I recently built a small fan system to dry my wing tanks.

It is 12 volt and runs off of a 9 amp hour glider battery.

I thought that when the battery would get down to about 9 volts
that the fan would stop, this is not the case, the fan keeps working
till
the battery is down into the 5 volt range.

Is there something I can wire in that would make the system quit
working
when the battery reaches 9 or 10 volts so that I can get some more
life
out of my batteries?

Thanks for any advice,
Joe Simmers
Old July 23rd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 23, 6:51*am, joesimmers wrote:
I recently built a small fan system to dry my wing tanks.

It is 12 volt and runs off of a 9 amp hour glider battery.

I thought that when the battery would get down to about 9 volts
that the fan would stop, this is not the case, the fan keeps working
till
the battery is down into the 5 volt range.

Is there something I can wire in that would make the system quit
working
when the battery reaches 9 or 10 volts so that I can get some more
life
out of my batteries?

Thanks for any advice,
Joe Simmers

Take a look at this:

http://www.safemart.com/Elk-Power-Su...ch-ELK-965.htm
Old July 23rd 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 23, 4:51*am, joesimmers wrote:
I recently built a small fan system to dry my wing tanks.

Even after the fan stops rotating it will still be drawing current and
the battery voltage can be expected to go to zero.

Simplest solution may be a timer. I think others have used solar
panels to power the dryer fan. If I was doing it I'd probably cobble
up a self latching relay. When the voltage drops low enough for the
relay to unlatch there is no battery load. You can tailor the drop
out voltage by selection of relay type and tweak it with a resistor in
series with the coil.

Andy

Limiting use of Pilot Controlled Lighting [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 9 June 19th 06 10:33 PM
My weird sink drain AES Piloting 11 April 13th 06 10:17 AM
Metal fatigue in Lycoming engines limiting its TBO? Wolfgang Home Built 11 November 7th 04 02:46 PM
Metal fatigue in Lycoming engines limiting its TBO? Wolfgang Owning 14 November 7th 04 02:46 PM
Vision limiting with Lightspeed & glasses PaulH Instrument Flight Rules 10 October 15th 03 05:53 AM