FW TA-183 Huckebein.....did it ever fly?

Old December 30th 03, 02:18 AM
KC

Default FW TA-183 Huckebein.....did it ever fly?

On going discussion we are having....only one black and white picture shows
landing and it is suspect. Did this late WWII German fighter fly or was it
even built?

TIA,

Old December 30th 03, 05:08 AM
Krztalizer

The Jägerstaß didn't even allocate funding for a mockup, let alone a flying
example. By the point in the war when this was really moving forward, the SS
had taken over 'strategic aircraft' production and ordered most other projects
halted - but centralized control was deteriorating and many aviation companies
kept building whatever they were used to, using up additional critical war
resources, while such things as the 183 project danced in their heads. The
BAMA archiv has lots of info on the final couple of months and nothing suggests
a successful test flight, or even a wrk. n., being assigned to an airframe of
this type.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old December 30th 03, 05:09 AM
Krztalizer

Besides, if the Ta 183 V1 HAD flown, wouldn't Clostermann have encountered it?

Old December 30th 03, 03:25 PM
robert arndt

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...
[...]

At the beginning of March 1945, with the award of a contract to build
a prototype, the aircraft recieved the RLM type number 8-183. The
fuselage and vertical tail were to be constructed of steel and
Duraluminum; the wings and horizontal tail surfaces of wood. The data
are taken from specification sheet JP.011.018a "Single jet fighter
with HeS 011a" of 18th February 1945.
NOTE: This is considered Design II (Design I being the Fw Flitzer and
Design III a second alternative Ta 183).
Focke-Wulf began with the construction of the Ta 183V-1. Powered by
the Jumo 004, this first prototype was also to be used to test the
Design III tail unit. The maiden flight of this aircraft was scheduled
for May/June 1945. If a production contract followed, Focke-Wulf
planned to have the first production machines completed by October
1945.
On 8th April 1945 British troops took over Focke-Wulf's design
department at Bad Eilsen.

- "Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Fighters 1939-1945" by Walter Schick and
Ingolf Meyer (1994/7)

Although there has never been any proof that the Ta 183V-1 was
actually constructed it is known that the Soviets got a complete set
of plans for the aircraft and turned them over to MiG. The MiG 15
didn't happen by chance you know.
Parts of the Ta 183, however, were said to be completed (as were those
of Heinkel's own He-343 jet bomber).

Rob
Old December 30th 03, 06:43 PM
KC

Thanks guys.
The story that is in our discussion is that the Soviets built and flew the
183 one source claims 6 were built. His proof is this highly suspect black &
while photo of the Huck landing.

Please take a look at the (hobby) link I have posted for the picture a tell
me what you think.

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/ax.../kuster183.htm

Thanks

om...

Old December 30th 03, 06:51 PM
Nick Pedley

&
while photo of the Huck landing.

Please take a look at the (hobby) link I have posted for the picture a

tell
me what you think.

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/ax.../kuster183.htm

Thanks

My money's on that being a Soviet build or a very good fake pic.

Nick

Old December 31st 03, 04:18 AM
robert arndt

"Nick Pedley" wrote in message ...
"KC" wrote in message
Thanks guys.
The story that is in our discussion is that the Soviets built and flew the
183 one source claims 6 were built. His proof is this highly suspect black

&
while photo of the Huck landing.

Please take a look at the (hobby) link I have posted for the picture a

tell
me what you think.

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/ax.../kuster183.htm

Thanks

My money's on that being a Soviet build or a very good fake pic.

Nick

Sorry, it is neither. It is a German flying model, one of Focke-Wulf
Bad Eilsen's as evidenced by the Design II features (especially the
tail). For similar "in-flight/on ground" model photos look up Ar.
E.381, He P.1077 Julia, Me-265, and Me P.1112. The only German
aircraft that were built/completed in the USSR postwar were some of
the Ju EF-series (126,131,140,150), Ju-248, and the DFS 346. Of these,
only the EF 126 and DFS 346 were purely German.
The Soviets got their Ta 183 plans from the RLM office in Berlin.
Although heavily influenced by the Ta 183 the MiG S/I-310 prototypes
were not German-built.

Photo of I-310 S-1:

http://www.lizdas.it/aviacija/rusija..._15/mig-15.jpg

Photo of I-310 S-3:

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/His...15/I-310_1.jpg

Photo of La-168 competitor (which looks closer to Ta 183 Design II):

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/His...15/La168_1.jpg

Rob
Old December 31st 03, 04:36 AM
robert arndt

"KC" wrote in message
Thanks guys.
The story that is in our discussion is that the Soviets built and flew the
183 one source claims 6 were built. His proof is this highly suspect black

&
while photo of the Huck landing.

Please take a look at the (hobby) link I have posted for the picture a

tell
me what you think.

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/ax.../kuster183.htm

Although the Ta 183V-1 wasn't built Kurt Tank did build an aircraft
like it in Argentina postwar- the Pulqui II:

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRTy...his/Pulqui.jpg

and in a museum:

http://www.integration.co.nz/aviatio...tina/argnm.jpg

Rob
Old January 1st 04, 06:11 PM
steve gallacci

"KC" wrote in message
[...]

There was little direct influence of the Ta183 on MiG efforts,
especially the MiG 15, but it did closely parallel and assist Lagg
efforts. Though the eventual Lagg 15 could be considered a production
adaption of the '183, being very similar in features, it could also be
more a matter of convergent evolution, as the intended roles were very
similar. Overall, the '183 was likely more of a supplemental validation
of on going Russian design work that a direct item to be copied, as some
features pre-date access to the German work.

As to the '183 itself, I was under the impression that work was well
underway on at least one, if not three prototypes by the end of the
war(?) as some sources claim a time line of flight tests intended for
summer of '45 (?)
Old January 1st 04, 07:40 PM
Krztalizer

As to the '183 itself, I was under the impression that work was well
underway on at least one, if not three prototypes by the end of the
war(?) as some sources claim a time line of flight tests intended for
summer of '45 (?)

My general area of interest is German and British aerial nightfighting and
Focke Wulf Luft 46 projects are outside my usual reading, so I have not seen
the source documents that Radinger and Schick have for their book on this
project - what Rob reports is news to me as well. R and S did a credible job
on the Me 262 books, but missed entirely on some aspects, so I would still want
to know the pilot, date, and location of any claimed test flight for a Ta 183 -
remember, there were rumours of an HG II being completed as well, but it never
turned up in the photographic record.