Is the 787 a failure ?

Old April 16th 13, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.aviation.military,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.labor-unions
Bradley K. Sherman

Default Is the 787 a failure ?

| (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) has finished testing its
| redesigned 787 Dreamliner battery system, the Federal
| Aviation Administration said Tuesday, but the agency gave
| no timetable for when it would lift a ban on flights by the
| new jet.
|
| FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said the agency is
| reviewing the tests and analysis and "will approve the
| redesign once we are satisfied Boeing has shown the
| redesigned battery system meets FAA requirements."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/16/us-aviation-hearing-idUSBRE93F13T20130416

--bks

Old April 19th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Vaughn

Default Is the 787 battery issue finally solved?

"Regulators on Friday approved a revamped battery system for Boeing Co's
787 Dreamliner, a crucial step in returning the high-tech jet to service
after it was grounded in January because the plane's lithium-ion
batteries overheated.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it had approved a package of
detailed design changes, a move that allows Boeing to issue a service
bulletin and make repairs to the fleet of 50 planes owned by eight
airlines around the world. Other global regulators also must approve
Boeing's new design but were expected to act quickly once the FAA gave
its blessing.

The FAA action all but ends a grounding that has cost Boeing an
estimated $600 million, halted deliveries and forced some airlines to
lease alternative aircraft."

Entire article at:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93I11C20130419

Vaughn

Old April 19th 13, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.aviation.military,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.labor-unions
Bradley K. Sherman

| Boeing's revolutionary 787 airliner moved significantly
| closer to returning to service on Friday when the Federal
| Aviation Administration approved design modifications for a
| malfunctioning battery system that caused a worldwide
| grounding of the new planes.
|
| "These changes to the 787 battery will ensure the safety of
| the aircraft and its passengers," said Transportation
| Secretary Ray LaHood.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/boeing-787-may-fly-again-soon/2013/04/19/c82218cc-a920-11e2-a8e2-5b98cb59187f_story.html

No word on what actually happened to cause the problem.

--bks

Old April 28th 13, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.aviation.military,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.labor-unions
Bradley K. Sherman

| Boeing Co.'s BA +1.29% 787 Dreamliner returned to revenue
| service, as an Ethiopian Airlines commercial flight
| Saturday became the first to use the plane since its
| world-wide grounding more than three months ago.
|
| The flight, operating as Ethiopian Airlines Flight 801,
| departed the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa just before
| 11 a.m. local time and arrived in Nairobi, Kenya, at 12:38
| p.m. local time, according to flight records on the
| airline's website.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323789704578448751119295708.html

--bks

ATC failure in Memphis Mxsmanic Piloting 77 October 11th 07 03:50 PM
The Failure of FAA Diversity FAA Civil Rights Piloting 35 October 9th 07 06:32 PM
The FAA Failure FAA Civil Rights Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 8th 07 05:57 PM
Failure #10 Capt.Doug Piloting 7 April 13th 05 02:49 AM
Another Bush Failure WalterM140 Military Aviation 8 July 3rd 04 02:23 AM