Travolta - did he ever ditch an aircraft?

Old March 13th 04, 06:51 PM
TheShootingSports

Default Travolta - did he ever ditch an aircraft?

Hi all,

I had once heard that John Travolta once ditched an aircraft. I have never heard this, but to settle a "discussion" could someone tell me if he did in fact successfully ditch an aircraft ever in his years of flying?

Supposedly, he was all alone when this occurred.

Your help is appreciated!

-- Jim

PS - reply to (remove -No_spa*M and ^ )
Old March 13th 04, 09:25 PM
Toks Desalu

Ditch?
Well, I know that he had some sort of total electrical failure in his 707 while flying over DC area. And he landed safety without radio and transponsder.
Toks
Old March 13th 04, 11:34 PM
HankPilot2002

I think that was in his Gulfstream if I'm not mistaken.

Hank
Old March 13th 04, 11:40 PM
TheShootingSports

OK, thanks - I thought it was something like that and not actually a ditching... Appreciate the clarification.

-- Jim

Old March 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (HankPilot2002) said:
I think that was in his Gulfstream if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken. And from what I've heard, his handling of the
situation is taught at Flight Safety as "What NOT to do".

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old March 14th 04, 04:08 PM
Roger Long

Except when he buzzed his island cottage up here in Maine at 500 feet in his
707

We'll they never did prove it was him. Maybe the other guy with a private
707 did it just to show him up.

--
Roger Long

Old March 14th 04, 05:31 PM
Peter Duniho

"Rick Durden" wrote in message
m...
[...]
We can certainly use all of the folks like Travolta that our little
industry can get. He's certainly gotten a lot of good press and
attention for general aviation.

Such as?

As near as I can tell, the handful of "famous pilots" who might have gotten
more involved with aviation and done things to foster the industry have not
bothered. People aren't going around saying "hey, did you see that
interview with Travolta? I guess we don't really need all these silly
restrictions on general aviation after all", or "hey, did you see that
interview with Harrison? Turns out you DON'T need to be a rich actor to
learn to fly".

What little press people like that have received, all they've done is
reinforced the idea that flying is for rich folks who can afford the fancy
toys, and that when you restrict aviation, you're not really hurting anyone
who can't afford to be hurt a bit.

These are people who, if they cared to, could use their substantial media
presence to fight on behalf of general aviation. I've seen absolutely no
evidence that suggests they've ever bothered to try.

Pete