A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

Old November 16th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_12_]
external usenet poster

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

I am finally returning to Soaring after over 20 years, I earned a Private Glider rating in '91 and had @175 flights in 2-33/1-26 and a Private Power rating in '92 and 350hrs.
My goal: Regain currency/proficiency and purchase a standard class non-flapped glider.
Specifically I was looking for advice/opinions on how best to proceed to that goal in a short time frame (140 days)

Question 1: Is it unrealistic to train 2-3 flights a day twice or even 3 times a week?
Question 2: Start out in 2-33 or pay a little more for ASK/Grob from the start? (both options are available to me)

In the next @140 days I would like to get to 60 or more flights.

Old November 16th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It begins by refreshing knowledge long forgotten. If you don't have it here (pointing to your head) you can't have it here (pointing to your hands.)

The details in modern text books such as the recently published "Glider Flight Training Manual" will help you regain proficiency and safety.

Tom Knauff
Old November 16th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Fly the ASK & GROB your insurance will be cheaper when you buy your own ship
Old November 16th 17, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Question 1: Is it unrealistic to train 2-3 flights a day twice or even 3 times a week?

Absolutely realistic, and even preferred with a quality Instructor. That's how I got my instruction years ago. Only flying once a week (as offered by the local club) would have stretched primary instruction out to several months. Instead, I soloed in less than 30 days.

Question 2: Start out in 2-33 or pay a little more for ASK/Grob from the start? (both options are available to me)

Definitely go for the Grob or ASK. You already have flight control experience. Don't waste the money on a 2-33. I realize it is the foundation of US Soaring instruction, but I refused to even sit in one. I went for the G-103 and did not have to learn how differently a "modern" glider flies from the 2-33.

Old November 16th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:33:13 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I am finally returning to Soaring after over 20 years, I earned a Private Glider rating in '91 and had @175 flights in 2-33/1-26 and a Private Power rating in '92 and 350hrs.
My goal: Regain currency/proficiency and purchase a standard class non-flapped glider.
Specifically I was looking for advice/opinions on how best to proceed to that goal in a short time frame (140 days)

The glider you fly is much less important than the quality of the facility and instruction available. There is value in flying more modern trainer, but this is commonly over stated. Flying a few different ships exercises basics in slightly different ways.
Having flown with lots of returning lapsed pilots my observation is that getting in the seat flying skills back may not be all that hard. Getting the knowledge back, and current, is harder, less fun and interesting, and hugely important. This is particularly true for someone who will not have to take a new practical test with and examiner.
Good luck and welcome back.
UH
Old November 16th 17, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 5:33:13 PM UTC+3, Michael wrote:

Have a think about the average length of flight in each, and then figure out the cost of flying per hour once you include launches.

Unless you've got a great house thermal or ridge I think you'll find the glass ships work out cheaper. As well as preparing you better for your own glider -- for example by developing cross-country skills.
Old November 16th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

In general, I agree.

Since most of your glider time is in 2-33/1-26, I suggest the first few flights be in a 2-33 if you can. Keep the variables down to a minimum getting back into the game. Don't add a new type of ship onto remembering how to fly.
Moving to a glass trainer after that is fine, you've sorta gotten back into it and yes, could help your insurance down the road when you buy a single seater.
It's the old, "they're exactly the same, only different!".

Unless doing patterns, a few flights per day is about max, let info soak in. Doing several days per week, great.
Get a current FAR (assuming US) and start reading. Quite a few changes since 9/11. FAR's are great if you have trouble sleeping at night, read a handful of pages and crash out....soundly.

Other than that, congrats coming back into the sport.

PS, ex-CFIG that has brought a few back after a long layoff due to family/job pressures.
Old November 16th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Interesting question that doesn't get asked very often.

I've come back three times from lapses of 3-5 years each time. Because I had been flying for 20 years before my first hiatus, the stick-and-rudder stuff came back very fast. That was not the case when I used to arrive home from college when I'd only been flying a few years, which sounds more like the OP's situation.

I checked out in 2-33s each time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that again for one or more initial flights especially--as OH notes--since more of your time was in that glider. As UH said, that's less important than finding a quality facility and an instructor who will take the time to bring you back up to speed the right way. [I was extremely fortunate in being guided by UH, OH, and P3]. Then you can move on to a higher-performance trainer for subsequent flights.

There are some things that you will (re)acquire over many hours (e.g., coordinated flight, speed control) and other things at least as much by repetition (towing, landing). So I would argue that minimizing the number of flights isn't necessarily always better.

I also agree with UH that it's easier to re-acquire the stick-and-rudder feel than the knowledge necessary to fly safely. I checked out in a 2-33 and jumped back into my 15M flapped glider immediately after a 5 year layoff. But I spent the rest of the summer carefully getting comfortable flying locally and then cross country, always aware that it was taking more time than I wished to come all the way back up the curve.

But that's part of the challenge, yes? Just like soaring in general: there's always a new challenge.

Chip Bearden
Old November 16th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:02:26 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
In general, I agree.

Since most of your glider time is in 2-33/1-26, I suggest the first few flights be in a 2-33 if you can. Keep the variables down to a minimum getting back into the game. Don't add a new type of ship onto remembering how to fly.
Moving to a glass trainer after that is fine, you've sorta gotten back into it and yes, could help your insurance down the road when you buy a single seater.
It's the old, "they're exactly the same, only different!".

Unless doing patterns, a few flights per day is about max, let info soak in. Doing several days per week, great.
Get a current FAR (assuming US) and start reading. Quite a few changes since 9/11. FAR's are great if you have trouble sleeping at night, read a handful of pages and crash out....soundly.

Other than that, congrats coming back into the sport.

PS, ex-CFIG that has brought a few back after a long layoff due to family/job pressures.

I still remember (and mostly obey) my early German instructor who told me never to do more than one new thing at a time. New site - use a familiar ship; new ship, use a familiar site; long break from flying - use a familiar ship at a familiar site.

Not a fan of the Gollywomper, though!

Mike
Old November 16th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Welcome back!

Year round at Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas I offer a "Rusty Pilot" course so you can refresh your skills and knowledge, rediscover precise and relaxed flying, make consistent accuracy landings, enhance your risk management, plus my favorite subject to teach, efficient thermaling. Some pilots who have transitioned to my nice ASK-21 say it is easier to fly than a SGS 2-33.

Bless the Schweizer brothers for the SGS 2-33 training glider but in this century, our efficient "glass" sailplanes help you to explore, stay up longer and push through a headwind to the next thermal. When (hopefully not if) you purchase a modern sailplane your insurance may require that you having logged some "glass" flight hours. (Start shopping the classifieds at wingsandwheels.com!)

Marfa, Texas, is located near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airport elevation is almost 5,000' MSL on a grassy plateau. (No oil beneath us, just a huge aquifer of water!) El Paso (ELP) is the nearest airline terminal. I have a two bedroom guest cottage with a large kitchen and classroom area for visiting students next to my home in Marfa. Marfa Airport (MRF) has several long runways and is just 3 miles north of Marfa town, a destination for artists, writers and musicians.

Marfa Airport is the site of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring plaque and where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed in 1969. Yep, I was there. Just logged my 50th year in soaring (but I'm still just the kid on the airport!)

A link to a short video about soaring at Marfa: https://vimeo.com/67137849
More training videos produced by the Soaring Safety Foundation at Marfa by request.
Contact me to discuss details and dates.

Burt
Master CFI / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation.
Three-time "CFI of the Year" at my local FAA FSDO.
Recipient of the SSA's Warren Eaton Award for contributions to glider training and safety.
October 2017, received the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award for 50 years in aviation.

Enough of my creds . . . I'm always open to learning new skills and knowledge to share with you.

Marfa Gliders website: www.flygliders.com
On Facebook as "Burton Compton" for your amusement.

Welcome back!