Aircraft Spruce and Jim Irwin

Old October 8th 03, 03:11 PM
Larry Smith

Default Aircraft Spruce and Jim Irwin

Jim, you and your company were quite courteous on a prop bolt exchange, so I
was gonna order some more mdse. And still hope to, even after this. This
morning I tried to order a Concorde battery for a friend's 172, and the
surly woman in Griffin rejected the card, for curious reasons.

After a call to Desser (Memphis) the order is complete and the battery said
to be on its way. Same card too. There's only 20k in that account. That
ought to cover a $100 battery.

Y'all not taking debit card purchases any more?

Old October 8th 03, 06:03 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Larry Smith" wrote in message
Jim, you and your company were quite courteous on a prop bolt exchange, so

was gonna order some more mdse. And still hope to, even after this.

This
morning I tried to order a Concorde battery for a friend's 172, and the
surly woman in Griffin rejected the card, for curious reasons.

After a call to Desser (Memphis) the order is complete and the battery

said
to be on its way. Same card too. There's only 20k in that account.

That
ought to cover a $100 battery.

Y'all not taking debit card purchases any more?

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

Old October 8th 03, 09:56 PM
Ron Natalie

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message t...

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

Tell me about it. Three times in the last three months, I've had security alerts
on my account. One time was that Margy's ISP has been submitting charges
with an expired expiration date for the past 6 months and VISA finally caught on
and started rejecting them. But in addition to rejecting the bogus ISP charges,
they also started rejecting other charges. Never mind trying to call me to see
if my card was lost or otherwise compromised, just shut the blasted thing down.
The other times seem to be a lot of errors induced by (they claim) a damaged
stripe that trips some threshold after it happens enough times. Of course, again
they just shut off the card (at least one time they did try to call me). Of course,
it was only last week that they admitted it was probably a damaged card and
they might consider sending me another.

I understand all but the "surly" part.

Old October 9th 03, 12:24 AM
Stu Gotts

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:03:07 GMT, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

That's news to me, and yes, I accept credit cards in my business
daily! Maybe Mrs. Hitler made a mistake so an authorization wasn't
possible.

Old October 9th 03, 01:06 AM
Kyle Boatright

wrote:

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit

cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches

in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

That's news to me, and yes, I accept credit cards in my business
daily! Maybe Mrs. Hitler made a mistake so an authorization wasn't
possible.

You've never accidentally rejected a card or had a personal card mistakenly
rejected? I can think of at least 3 times in my life (once at a gas pump
last weekend) when a viable card has been rejected.

KB

Old October 9th 03, 02:04 AM
David Hill

Kyle Boatright wrote:

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

For me, I don't care what the problem is, if someone, *especially*
someone I'm trying to give business to, acts like a jerk, the business
goes elsewhere.

As for airing dirty laundry, I took it as letting others know of a
problem. I would do the same, just so that others might be warned if
there is a continuing pattern of 'surliness.'

Of course, I'd *also* make sure whoever's in charge hears about it
directly.
--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

filters, they're not just for coffee anymore
The following needn't bother to reply, you are filtered:
Juan E Jimenez, Barnyard BOb

Old October 9th 03, 04:02 AM
Stu Gotts

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:06:03 GMT, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit

cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches

in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

That's news to me, and yes, I accept credit cards in my business
daily! Maybe Mrs. Hitler made a mistake so an authorization wasn't
possible.

You've never accidentally rejected a card or had a personal card mistakenly
rejected? I can think of at least 3 times in my life (once at a gas pump
last weekend) when a viable card has been rejected.

Your statement was that credit cards get randomly rejected at times,
and my reply was a nice way to say "bull****". If the reader is dirty
or the card has been demagnetized, it won't work. If you call or
punch a number in, they will not get randomly rejected. If the card
was good (as it appeared in this instance) the operator made a
mistake.
Old October 9th 03, 04:42 AM
Neal

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:11:24 -0400, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

Y'all not taking debit card purchases any more?

Just an opinion here I feel compelled to sha I *never* use a debit
card for online purchases, or mail-order purchases either, since the
same computer system is generally used by the vendor for both, and
being a computer & network-security kind of guy, I must always assume
that any computer system that is not run by myself must be too easily
hackable to be trusted with my debit card account number. The only
place I ever use my debit card is at the one ATM machine at my bank. I
just consider it too risky to use freely elsewhere.

If some evildoer fraudulently uses your debit card number it may be
possible for them to suck large amounts of money out of your account
before anyone notices, and you may be liable for up to $500 of the
loss instead of $50 as with a credit card, unless you report the
unauthorized activity within two days.

I keep one dedicated credit card for use exclusively for online and
mail order purchases and use it for nothing else, and try to exercise
restraint in keeping the balance paid off every month.
Old October 9th 03, 01:45 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The cash register card readers at the local Meijers store constantly reject
my card, even after several swipes... While the card readers in their gas
pumps out front cheerfully accept the card every time, without fail... The
trick I learned from one of the cashiers is to fold a thin plastic
merchandise bag over the card and swipe it through the reader slot - you
would expect it to fail to read through a layer of plastic - but it works
like a champ..
Denny

"Stu Gotts" wrote in

Old October 9th 03, 02:33 PM
Gig Giacona

wrote:

It ain't that hard to get Jim Irwin on the phone. You should try it
instead of airing dirty laundry in this forum. Especially since credit

cards
get randomly rejected from time to time, based on any number of glitches

in
the systems that span the distance between the card reader and the credit
card company.

That's news to me, and yes, I accept credit cards in my business
daily! Maybe Mrs. Hitler made a mistake so an authorization wasn't
possible.

ACS uses a system that not only does the authorization as the normal swipe
system does but also matches the Bill To information (Numbers in the Street
Address, Zip Code and maybe Phone number) to what the card company has in
their records. No Match/No Authorization.

With Debit cards many banks don't release that info to the system so you get
a refused card.