Q: Buddy store internal fuel?

Old March 8th 05, 07:17 PM

It came to my mind after reading Lt Stone "A Bridge Too Far" article in
February "Proceedings" that it might be not felt as any special
nobilitation for a fighter pilot to fly tanker missions?

Attack or anti-sub flyers, who probably were more used to "making
history" than to "making movies", and performing support missions more
frequently, probably would not complain. But for a real fighter,
trained for CAP, escort and dogfight?

Though now everything becomes strike fighter communities, so it is
different to tell who is attack and who is fighter pilot;-)

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo

Old March 8th 05, 10:51 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

In 1957 our North American Fury FJ-4Bs were equipped with buddy stores. The
right wing drop tank carried the basket, hose, reel, valves, switches, etc.
and the left wing drop tank carried just fuel and valves.

WDA

end

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
I was just wondering if any buddy stores carried internal
fuel,or if all the internal space was taken up by the
drogue, hose and reel, pump, etc. I have conflicting
sources, so hopefully those here with personal experience
can give me the straight skinny. If you can mention the
particular model(s) you're familiar with (if you remember)
and its capacity (if any), that would help.

TIA,

Guy

Old March 8th 05, 11:36 PM
Guy Alcala

Guy Alcala wrote:

snip

My thanks to all who replied.

Guy

Old March 9th 05, 04:38 AM
Gord Beaman

"Mike Kanze" wrote:

Peter,

Thanks for the additional perspective.

I recall seeing a photo long ago of a P2V-1 (?) being fueled for a very long
range flight. The fuel lines from the bowser to the aircraft were all packed
in dry ice for the same reason.

Yes, that was the Truculent Turtle and 'was' a P2V-1. it flew
from New Zealand (?) to somewhere in the States...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 12th 05, 07:09 PM

Still about this article in "Procedings", because I am afraid my remark
was not what I really wanted to say:

The title "A Bridge Too Far" illustrated by a picture of VFA-94's
F/A-18C refueled by VFA-41's F/A-18F apparently suggests that adopting
Super Hornets to the tanker role was not a good idea...

What's more, in the text the author criticizes replacing a
10-million-dollar tanker (good, but weary S-3B) by a 70-million-dollar
one (brand-new F/A-18E/F). It really surprised me!

And where are these stories about "flying the wings off the planes"
when Vikings were utilized very intensively as tankers???

According to AFM, in OIF VFA-115, additionally charged with tanker
sorties (an S-3B squadron still aboard, too) averaged 30 sorties a day
when other squadrons averaged 20...

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo

Funky place to store your fuel? BllFs6 Home Built 5 August 23rd 04 01:27 AM
Is Your Airplane Susceptible To Mis Fu eling? A Simple Test For Fuel Contamination. Nathan Young Piloting 4 June 14th 04 06:13 PM
faith in the fuel delivery infrastructure Chris Hoffmann Piloting 12 April 3rd 04 01:55 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM