Replacing Cockpit placards

Old March 27th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Replacing Cockpit placards

My glider has several cockpit placards that are in pretty sad shape.

I would like to get new placards printed with white letters on black
background. On a durable (maybe vinyl) sticky backed sheet.

Does anybody know of a source for such printing ?

Or have an alternate that they suggest ? I allready have black on white
paper labels.

Thanks
Todd Smith
"3S"

Old March 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cumulus soaring has these for sale for $1. Hard to imagine you are
going to find a significantly cheaper way to make them.

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/

Look under "Miscellaneous"

Old March 27th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

toad wrote:
My glider has several cockpit placards that are in pretty sad shape.

One method is to photocopy the placard from the flight manual, stick it
in place, then seal with clear nail varnish (polish).

I've also had fairly good results laminating with clear shelf covering.

Andy

Old March 27th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Check your local yellow pages (yp.yahoo.com and set your location) for
a FastSigns or similar shop. They do that stuff.

~ted/2NO

Old March 27th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Buying them from Paul Remde is a good solution. However, if you want to be
a little more creative, try a color ink jet printer with archival ink and
photo paper. Design the plackards with your favorite art/drawing program,
print and laminate. Properly done, a bit of color makes a cockpit look
neat.

Often placards are grouped in one spot in the cockpit. Consider combining
them into one print as with a single strip along the cockpit sides. I've
seen one entire panel faced with a laminated print.

Bill Daniels

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 28th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is what I'll most likely do. My biggest issue it that I want to
avoid glare, so I want white on black. I might print onto clear labels
with colored ink and place those on the cockpit rails.

Todd

Old March 28th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have one of those label writers. For 1 line labels that's what I'll
probably use. It's the multiple line placards like speed restrictions,
weight limits, take off check list , etc that I need something for.

A 10 line brother labelmaker would be perfect.

Old March 28th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I was getting an annual, my A& P laughed at me and wanted to know why I
had so damn many placards. I told him it was required by my airworthiness
certificate and manual. He still laughed.

Black signs with white lettering can be made by printing out the text in a
photo program. Then, save it as a .jpg file and reopen. Then, convert it
to a negative and you will have white text on black.

Few printers print white (the ALPS does), but you can use this method to
make white on black. Using a photo printer, you can get pretty good
results. Some of the photo printers use metal dyes and are quite permanent.

Colin

Old March 28th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Print them the way you like them on paper and then go to the local
blueprint or sign shop and have them laminated (both sides) with clear
matte plastic. It's available in a number of thicknesses. If the
paper placards are cut to the size you want them prior to laminating
then you can trim them to size, leaving 1/4 inch or so of clear as a
border. The clear border is the front and back plastic fused to each
other and is pretty tough.

Craig

Old March 28th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Or you could simply write text in white letters on a black background
to begin with... :-))

Sometimes your print-out is more grey than black, which is because of a
toner-saving option that often is enabled by default. Most laser
printers do this to avoid printing large areas of pure black. You can
either disable toner saving in the advanced printing options dialogue
or you just chose a very very VERY dark red (or blue or whatever) as a
backgrund - which the printer will print as black anyway, without
bothering with saving toner...

/K

PIREP: Tablet PC in the Cockpit John T Piloting 2 August 4th 05 02:06 PM
Cockpit Placards Brian Iten Soaring 9 January 14th 05 04:11 AM
backup cockpit lighting Josef Burger Instrument Flight Rules 35 January 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Cat in the cockpit forces emergency landing John Ousterhout Piloting 7 August 14th 04 11:10 PM
Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit Emilio Military Aviation 13 July 2nd 04 06:15 AM