Simple COTS gps

Old October 3rd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default Simple COTS gps

This would be perfect for a simple GPS logger. It's cheap too.

http://www.googleearthstore.com/Prod...uctCode=1-TSII

Todd
3S

Old October 4th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"toad" wrote in message
oups.com...
This would be perfect for a simple GPS logger. It's cheap too.

http://www.googleearthstore.com/Prod...uctCode=1-TSII

At first blush, that seemed like a wonderful idea... But then one wonders why
not just pay less money to get a cheap (real) GPS that will do the same thing,
plus it would actually have a display?

Am I missing something here?

Vaughn

Old October 4th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

I agree. A simple Garmin eTrex at $100 will produce a log acceptable to
the OLC and has a display that can be set up to present the same data as a
Volkslogger (minus pressure altitude, but will display GPS alitude). I now
carry one in my luggage compartment as a backup logger.

John Scott

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old October 4th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

toad wrote:
This would be perfect for a simple GPS logger. It's cheap too.

http://www.googleearthstore.com/Prod...uctCode=1-TSII

Here's an article explaining why you might want something else:

http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/b...logPost%3A4989

There are a number of Bluetooth GPS loggers that are cheaper and better
than the Trackstick II. These are particularly useful if you have a
Bluetooth equipped PDA. Semsons is a good source in the US:

http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html

You can even get a solar powered model:

http://www.semsons.com/i757prosobtd.html

Marc
Old October 4th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Oct 3, 7:11 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"toad" wrote in message

oups.com...

This would be perfect for a simple GPS logger. It's cheap too.

http://www.googleearthstore.com/Prod...uctCode=1-TSII

At first blush, that seemed like a wonderful idea... But then one wonders why
not just pay less money to get a cheap (real) GPS that will do the same thing,
plus it would actually have a display?

Am I missing something here?

Vaughn

I have to admit that I haven't priced cheap GPS's lately. I looked
around and some are really cheap.

Todd

Old October 5th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Just an FYI - None of these devices are legal for badge, record or
contest work as they are not FAI certified. Two important
requirements are 1) secure log file which prevents any tampering and
2) pressure (not GPS) altitude.

Pretty cool in any case. Maybe I should put one on my outside cat and
see where he goes.

- John DeRosa

Old October 5th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

ContestID67 wrote:
Just an FYI - None of these devices are legal for badge, record or
contest work as they are not FAI certified. Two important
requirements are 1) secure log file which prevents any tampering and
2) pressure (not GPS) altitude.

Correct on the badge and record work, incorrect on contests. Off the
shelf GPS units which record position and GPS altitude can be used for
flight documentation in SSA sanctioned contests (though you can't get US
team points), as well as in many other countries. Check your rules...

Marc
Old October 5th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Oct 5, 12:27 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
ContestID67 wrote:
Just an FYI - None of these devices are legal for badge, record or
contest work as they are not FAI certified. Two important
requirements are 1) secure log file which prevents any tampering and
2) pressure (not GPS) altitude.

Correct on the badge and record work, incorrect on contests. Off the
shelf GPS units which record position and GPS altitude can be used for
flight documentation in SSA sanctioned contests (though you can't get US
team points), as well as in many other countries. Check your rules...

Marc

And the motivation of the original post was a discussion about the
pending changes to allow simple GPS systems for certain badges. So
that might change.

Todd

Simple Sledgehammer Fix Bret Ludwig Owning 0 October 15th 05 08:19 PM
simple prop overhaul Marty from Florida Owning 10 August 31st 05 01:46 PM
GNS 430 simple question MJC Instrument Flight Rules 6 January 20th 05 03:31 PM
COTS loggers - Plan B Papa3 Soaring 10 June 10th 04 05:48 PM
simple IFR timers Matt Whiting Instrument Flight Rules 21 June 5th 04 02:26 PM