Motorhome towing a glider trailer

Old May 14th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Motorhome towing a glider trailer

bumper: my 08 View, filled with my family of 4 and all sundries, is
all of 100 pounds over gross, gets 15 mpg in that state while pulling
the glider, and goes 10,000 miles between services. At the same time
it stops on a dime, does a U-turn on a regular boulevard and my crew
loves to drive it.

Just press the pedal and it displaces the air in front of it. Woo-hoo!

~edt/nO2
Old May 14th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

bumper wrote:

As to Eric's thoughts, "I
have to disagree with bumper's assertion that 'quality construction' is
important these days: I think it's layout and size that are important,
instead."

I agree, quality doesn't seem important to many people nowadays.

It's not that quality construction isn't important, it's my experience
and observation that even the entry-level motorhomes are built far
better than they used be. Because of this, the difference in reliability
and durability are much less than they used to be. It's similar to cars
nowadays: even the cheap ones are much better than the good ones of
20-30 years ago.

Despite it's 130,000 miles of travel all over the USA and to Alaska and
Canada, glider always in tow, our motorhome is still in good to very
good condition. It's definitely an "entry level" motorhome and not of
the quality of the ones bumper mentioned, yet it's a good, reliable
unit. How can this be? There are some reasons, of course (these apply to
Class C motorhomes):

1. They all use the same chassis, whether it's Lazy Daze or an
"entry level" unit; typically, the Ford "cutaway" Class C chassis, and
sometimes a Chevy version.
2. They all get the major items - furnace, water heater, oven,
refrigerator, air conditioner, generator - from the same manufacturers,
though not necessarily the same models of appliances. The "quality"
differences between models seems small to me; generally, you are just
getting a bigger or fancier refrigerator, etc, not a more reliable one.
3. Most of them use the same pressure-laminated sandwich
construction: fiberglass, plywood, foam board, plywood, interior
covering, with a steel frame a part of the sandwich. Lazy Daze is different.
4. Consequently, the Class C units are far more alike than they are
different, and they hold up about the same because of that. You can get
a nicer unit in some of the features (better fabrics, a more comfortable
couch, more options, etc), but not a significantly more reliable unit.

I believe the change to sandwich construction (15-20 years ago) allowed
a quantum leap in construction quality, making low cost, rugged
construction available for even the "cheap" RVs. So, the bottom end has
become much better, and the top end has become more luxurious.

Anyway, that's why I think the layout and size choices are more
important than "quality". For towing, I recommend picking one with a
relatively long wheel base. Some Class C units have a short wheelbase
and long overhang in the back, which makes them less stable with a
trailer, and particularly so in the wind. The shorter wheelbase allows
it to turn more tightly, which is useful when turning around, but I
think it's a poor tradeoff.

We probably haven't answered the OP's question very well, but let's hope
he doesn't discourage easily!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Glider Towing Available - Payson AZ (& local) [email protected] Soaring 0 June 5th 07 10:20 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
:-)) Trailer towing safety Michael McNulty Soaring 1 August 16th 03 04:15 AM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM
Glider trailer towing Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 21st 03 04:25 AM