C-150/180 tow plane?

Old October 15th 09, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
macquistan

Default C-150/180 tow plane?

Hi,
Does anyone have experience using as a tow plane a C-150 with a 180hp
conversion? There is one on the market for a very good price. It has a
tow hook and a STOL kit already installed. Obviously, a Pawnee would
be the best choice. But, for 15-20K less, two seats and trike gear, it
seems a like a great opportunity. Currently, the local commercial
operator is using an old C-182. However, his plane isn't all that well
maintained. The plane would mainly be used for towing single place
ships without ballast, like my B4. The heaviest thing it would have to
tow is a L-13 or L-23.
Thanks much.
Old October 15th 09, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 15, 6:46*am, macquistan wrote:
Hi,
*Does anyone have experience using as a tow plane a C-150 with a 180hp
conversion? There is one on the market for a very good price. It has a
tow hook and a STOL kit already installed. Obviously, a Pawnee would
be the best choice. But, for 15-20K less, two seats and trike gear, it
seems a like a great opportunity. Currently, the local commercial
operator is using an old C-182. However, his plane isn't all that well
maintained. The plane would mainly be used for towing single place
ships without ballast, like my B4. The heaviest thing it would have to
tow is a L-13 or L-23.
Thanks much.

As these will greatly influence suitability of the C150, can you tell
us your:
- typical density altitude
- field length
- field surface
Old October 15th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Oct 15, 5:46*am, macquistan wrote:
Hi,
*Does anyone have experience using as a tow plane a C-150 with a 180hp
conversion? There is one on the market for a very good price. It has a
tow hook and a STOL kit already installed. Obviously, a Pawnee would
be the best choice. But, for 15-20K less, two seats and trike gear, it
seems a like a great opportunity. Currently, the local commercial
operator is using an old C-182. However, his plane isn't all that well
maintained. The plane would mainly be used for towing single place
ships without ballast, like my B4. The heaviest thing it would have to
tow is a L-13 or L-23.
Thanks much.

Burt Compton has a 180 horse 150 out in Marfa. I've towed behind it in
an L-23, and it was decent. For light single place ships at low to mid
density altitudes a 180hp/150 would be more than adequate.

Peter
Old October 15th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

We once considered a 180/150 but rejected it when we found Cezzna
limited the maximum tow weight to something around 950 lbs. That
would be fine for dry single seaters, but wouldn't work for two-
seaters.

So, we ended up with a 180 h.p. Cezzna 172 (Penn-Yann conversion long
before we bought it.)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old October 15th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau

On Oct 15, 5:46*am, macquistan wrote:
Hi,
*Does anyone have experience using as a tow plane a C-150 with a 180hp
conversion? There is one on the market for a very good price. It has a
tow hook and a STOL kit already installed. Obviously, a Pawnee would
be the best choice. But, for 15-20K less, two seats and trike gear, it
seems a like a great opportunity. Currently, the local commercial
operator is using an old C-182. However, his plane isn't all that well
maintained. The plane would mainly be used for towing single place
ships without ballast, like my B4. The heaviest thing it would have to
tow is a L-13 or L-23.
Thanks much.

My club uses a C-150 with a 180 hp conversion. It tows very well at
1500 ft field elevation all summer long when temperatures reach 100 or
more. It has a climb prop. It has towed my single-seater with full
ballast at 1150 lbs. as well as the G103C with two on board and an
open class ship with full ballast. I typically see 500fpm dry and
400fpm on tow with ballast. It is easier to find qualified tow pilots
for a trike than a tail-dragger.
Old October 15th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Oct 15, 11:19*am, Tom Nau wrote:
[...]

I don't know the details, but whenever I hear this discussed the
problem seems to be something to do with the nose wheel being attached
to the firewall and the possibility that a grass strip, if somewhat
rough or if it has dips, will tend to bang the nose wheel to the point
that the firewall has to be replaced. Other knowledgeable people will
dispute this.

Brian
Old October 15th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

It is easier to find qualified tow pilots
for a trike than a tail-dragger.

The old guard in our club seem to have a deaf ear regarding this
important point. Many of us in our club are SEL rated pilots and would
love to tow, but getting a tail wheel endorsment, and the required TW
time for insurance purposes will keep us from ever being PIC in the
clubs TW towplanes.

I suspect it has more to do with providing the club towplanes to the
regional contest, where they regularly tow heavy ballasted ships.
Seems the Pawnees do a good job in that regard, kinda hard to beat a
Pawnee, until you can't find anyone to drive them.

Brad

Old October 15th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Tail wheel endorsement.. no problem.. we have access to a Decathlon (about
$130/hr) and Scout (pay for gas)
We have a TW Instructor... you need to get your own High Performance
endorsement.. but we could work that somewhere if needed.
Our insurance requires recent tail wheel experience, at least 10hrs TW,
Private Airplane with 200hrs total time.
And be a named pilot on the policy. We provide 10 landings in the Pawnee
before towing, and required towing endorsements.

We have a 250HP Pawnee, fixed pitch
BT

Old October 16th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

On Oct 15, 1:19*pm, Tom Nau wrote:

My club uses a C-150 with a 180 hp conversion. *It tows very well at
1500 ft field elevation all summer long when temperatures reach 100 or
more. *It has a climb prop. *It has towed my single-seater with full
ballast at 1150 lbs. as well as the G103C with two on board and an
open class ship with full ballast. *I typically see 500fpm dry and
400fpm on tow with ballast. *It is easier to find qualified tow pilots
for a trike than a tail-dragger.

Just to add to what Tom has said, our A150L/180hp also has a STOL kit
and we changed out the Cessna tow hitch that was limited to 1200lbs
max tow weight to a TOST setup that is good to 1800lbs. We use a
180hp 172 as a backup towplane but it is a real dog compared to the
150 with an O-360.
Old October 16th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_3_]

On Oct 15, 4:46*am, macquistan wrote:
Hi,
*Does anyone have experience using as a tow plane a C-150 with a 180hp
conversion? There is one on the market for a very good price. It has a
tow hook and a STOL kit already installed. Obviously, a Pawnee would
be the best choice. But, for 15-20K less, two seats and trike gear, it
seems a like a great opportunity. Currently, the local commercial
operator is using an old C-182. However, his plane isn't all that well
maintained. The plane would mainly be used for towing single place
ships without ballast, like my B4. The heaviest thing it would have to
tow is a L-13 or L-23.
Thanks much.

A fellow has been towing gliders of all sorts out of Telluride, CO for
years with a 180 horse C-150. The elevation is over 9000 Ft. I've
been towed behind him in an L-13 Blanik with two folks aboard.