Cessna gear-up at MMU today (Morristown NJ)

Old November 29th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Cessna gear-up at MMU today (Morristown NJ)

I just got a call from a friend who was watching the news showing live
shots of a Cessna making a belly landing at MMU. Sounds like one of
the mains wouldn't lock down - did anybody see this? I'm sure it'll be
on the 6pm news tonight.
Old November 29th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_4_]

"Kingfish" wrote in message
I just got a call from a friend who was watching the news showing live
shots of a Cessna making a belly landing at MMU. Sounds like one of
the mains wouldn't lock down - did anybody see this? I'm sure it'll be
on the 6pm news tonight.

I saw it on MSNBC while waiting in line somewhere. It looked like a Cessna
172RG. When he came in to land, only the left gear was out which left me
wondering why he did not retract it in the interest of directional control.
Once he touched down, it became obvious the left gear was not locked in the
down position when it safely retracted/folded back immediately on touchdown.
After some sparks and a short rollout, the emergency truck came and sprayed
the underbelly and the pilot got out a bit later. It took him a little
longer than I would expect but he may have tried to secure the plane in a
certain manner before exiting.

Good job by the pilot overall.

Marco

Old November 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Byrer

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:43:42 -0500, "Marco Leon"
I saw it on MSNBC while waiting in line somewhere. It looked like a Cessna
172RG.

My thought too...if I read the tail # right it's 9453 8,0, or D
9453D is a 172RG
9453 8 and 0 are 182Q's, so it must be a D (?)

When he came in to land, only the left gear was out which left me
wondering why he did not retract it in the interest of directional control.

I saw the cnn video, it was obvious to me that it was trailing and not
locked. They are a bit further forward if down and locked. If you
have a hydraulic failure, it wont stay up. But I also have about 55
hours in 'em and took my commercial in one

Once he touched down, it became obvious the left gear was not locked in the
down position when it safely retracted/folded back immediately on touchdown.

it basically trailed back. they are either locked down or held up by
hydraulic pressure.

After some sparks and a short rollout, the emergency truck came and sprayed
the underbelly and the pilot got out a bit later. It took him a little
longer than I would expect but he may have tried to secure the plane in a
certain manner before exiting.

Good job by the pilot overall.

YES...about TIME GA gets some good press.

Dumb comment on cnn tho about "I guess there was two inside there"
The right seater exited first, and the pilot later, probably after
verifying everything was secure and master off

Uhh...doesnt the PILOT usually sit on the left?

obviously they didnt know dat
--Don

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."
Old November 30th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
news.verizon.net[_2_]

And he said that the pilot had shut the engine down as as was standard
procedure. Clearly clueless. and no the engine was running till it hit the
ground.

Old November 30th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Don Byrer" wrote:

.. It looked like a Cessna
172RG.

My thought too...if I read the tail # right it's 9453 8,0, or D
9453D is a 172RG
9453 8 and 0 are 182Q's, so it must be a D (?)

Yep, a lot of later 172RGs are N9xxxD; I used to own 9387D.

http://tinyurl.com/325kym

9453D is one of the last ones made.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old December 3rd 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 03:16:58 GMT, "news.verizon.net"
wrote:

And he said that the pilot had shut the engine down as as was standard
procedure. Clearly clueless. and no the engine was running till it hit the
ground.

This brings up the question: How do you know the engine was running?
Just because the prop is turning doesn't mean the engine is running.
Typically the prop doesn't stop until well into the roll out even with
a dead engine...unless the engine seized. Of course if it's digging
into the runway it stops pretty quick unless the engine is developing
power.

Roger (K8RI)

Old December 3rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

wrote:

And he said that the pilot had shut the engine down as as was standard
procedure. Clearly clueless. and no the engine was running till it hit
the
ground.

This brings up the question: How do you know the engine was running?
Just because the prop is turning doesn't mean the engine is running.
Typically the prop doesn't stop until well into the roll out even with
a dead engine...unless the engine seized. Of course if it's digging
into the runway it stops pretty quick unless the engine is developing
power.

You should be able to stop the prop by pulling the mix, and slowing the
aircraft to just short of a stall.

Old December 11th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
~^ beancounter ~^

yea, i would think the pilot would want to stop, rock the prop and get
it horz b4 belly landing....a few bucks here, a few bucks ther...hey,
b4
too long it add up...no?

Old December 12th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:15:03 -0600, "Maxwell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

And he said that the pilot had shut the engine down as as was standard
procedure. Clearly clueless. and no the engine was running till it hit
the
ground.

This brings up the question: How do you know the engine was running?
Just because the prop is turning doesn't mean the engine is running.
Typically the prop doesn't stop until well into the roll out even with
a dead engine...unless the engine seized. Of course if it's digging
into the runway it stops pretty quick unless the engine is developing
power.

You should be able to stop the prop by pulling the mix, and slowing the
aircraft to just short of a stall.

I think you will find you would have to pull up and stall in a rather
steep attitude to get the prop to stop in many planes. In a well
loosened engine on a 150 or 172 it might not stop until well into the
roll out. The prop on the Deb with that 260 HP windmills down to some
where between 30 and 40 MPH which is well below stall speed. Of
course once it's stopped it takes a whale of a lot more speed to get
it started again.:-))

Roger (K8RI)

Old December 12th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

On Nov 30, 2:57 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Don Byrer" wrote:

. It looked like a Cessna

172RG.

My thought too...if I read the tail # right it's 9453 8,0, or D
9453D is a 172RG
9453 8 and 0 are 182Q's, so it must be a D (?)

Yep, a lot of later 172RGs are N9xxxD; I used to own 9387D.

http://tinyurl.com/325kym

9453D is one of the last ones made.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Would it be good practice to be sure the doors are unlatched and open
a bit before touchdown in a circumstance like this? I'm concerned
about there being enough warping to bind the doors in place.