How to complete a 337?

Old August 22nd 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default How to complete a 337?

Can someone point me to a reference describing how to complete the
"Description of Work Accomplished" section of a 337? I have seen maybe
a dozen completed 337s and they appear to be all over the map!

What I'm trying to do is draft a planning document describing what and
how I'm going to do my repairs to my fuselage and show not that my IA
has approved the work, but has OKed my approach. The same wording
woujld appear in the 337 when the work is accomplished.

I'm having to do this because there are large time spans between when
my IA OKs my approach and when the work is done and when a 337 is
generated. I think it would be a good idea to document that my IA had
approved my approach. - Mike
Old August 22nd 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Found it - AC 43-9-1e

Old August 22nd 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron

I'm having to do this because there are large time spans between when
my IA OKs my approach and when the work is done and when a 337 is
generated. I think itwould be a good idea to document that my IA had
approved my approach. - Mike

Is this a homebuilt? No 337 required, No IA necessary. You do
have
to note substantial changes to the FAA however.
Old August 23rd 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Ron" wrote in message

I'm having to do this because there are large time spans between when
my IA OKs my approach and when the work is done and when a 337 is
generated. I think itwould be a good idea to document that my IA had
approved my approach. - Mike

Is this a homebuilt? No 337 required, No IA necessary. You do
have
to note substantial changes to the FAA however.

I was thinking of that as well and you are right--with the addition that a
certified mechanic, who need not also hold an IA, is requered to sign of the
work if the owner is not the original builderof record.

Old August 23rd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Aug 22, 3:04*pm, Ron wrote:

Is this a homebuilt? *

I think Michael is working on a Taylorcraft.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 23rd 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

I'm having to do this because there are large time spans between when
my IA OKs my approach and when the work is done and when a 337 is
generated. I think itwould be a good idea to document that my IA had
approved my approach. - Mike

Is this a homebuilt? No 337 required, No IA necessary. You do
have
to note substantial changes to the FAA however.

I was thinking of that as well and you are right--with the addition that
certified mechanic, who need not also hold an IA, is requered to sign of
the
work if the owner is not the original builderof record.

You don't need an A & P to sign off any changes or repairs to a
homebuilt, even if you are not the original builder. Anyone can work on
a homebuilt airplane. An A & P is only needed to sign off the annual
condition inspection.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL, Ram Subaru, Stratus redrive.

In this case, I am glad to stand corrected.

Peter

Old August 23rd 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

wrote:

Can someone point me to a reference describing how to complete the
"Description of Work Accomplished" section of a 337? I have seen maybe
a dozen completed 337s and they appear to be all over the map!

You meaning a Cessna Skymaster or what? I never knew that to be
homebuilt, neither from plans or kits?
Old August 23rd 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_7_]

wrote:

Can someone point me to a reference describing how to complete the
"Description of Work Accomplished" section of a 337? I have seen maybe
a dozen completed 337s and they appear to be all over the map!

You meaning a Cessna Skymaster or what? I never knew that to be homebuilt,
neither from plans or kits?

In case you are serious about this question, I will attempt to shed light on
the subject. If you are joking, sorry; it went over my head! g

I recall you are not from the United States, and may be unaware of the FAA
forms system.

A form number 337 is what you are required to fill out when certain types of
changes are made to any certified aircraft. There are particular ways the
form must be completed and submitted, so the change is registered and found
to be an acceptable change.

The point was made in a previous post that the form 337 does not apply to a
homebuilt aircraft, since they are not certified.

I hope that help clear the muddy water. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old August 24th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

wrote:

[...]

The best way to deal with a 337, is to immediately put your certified ship
up for sale and build an experimental homebuilt aircraft. A lot of your
expensive problems go away. By building it you become the manufacturer and
all inspections can be performed by you. No one is out there telling you to
fill out a form for modifications thay you deem needed or to make you craft
better.

Stu Fields

Old August 24th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote:

[...]

To add just a little more, and with the understanding that I am a former
avionics technician and have never been a mechanic--much less an IA--my
understanding is that a form 337 is a return to service following a major
repair or a modification that was not sufficient to require an STC. In
effect, the modification or repair should not alter the original operating
limitations of the aircraft, which would require that issuance of an STC;
but may alter the weight and balance calculations for the specific aircraft.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Complete HP-18 Sailplane Kit Wayne Paul Aviation Marketplace 0 August 17th 06 04:34 PM
Complete HP-18 Sailplane Kit Wayne Paul Home Built 0 August 17th 06 04:31 PM
Complete HP-18 Kit Wayne Paul Soaring 0 August 17th 06 04:31 PM
For Sale: L-Nav, Gps-Nav, complete [email protected] Soaring 0 November 22nd 05 12:23 PM
Complete Idiots? John Galban Piloting 1 July 1st 04 06:14 PM