I want to buy a plane by year-end but they're not making it easy.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
C Kingsbury

"Henry A. Spellman" wrote in message
news:tySrd.181922$HA.23121@attbi_s01...

Big snip

My brother said, "Yes. I want to buy this automobile. How much is it?"

The salesman replied, "It is really expensive, and the upkeep is quite
high, too. But we have some really clean one owner used car out on the
lot. I would be happy to show them to you."

Most of the fastest sales I've ever closed are the ones where the first
question the prospect asks is, "how much?"

Old December 3rd 04, 10:30 PM
Matt Barrow

"Roger" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:40:25 GMT, "T.Roger"
wrote:

Early on, I offered the east-coast Tiger rep to pay for fuel. It didn't
persuade him.

IF a customer is serious about purchasing and wants a demo ride they
offer to pay for and hour of two of aircraft time, not gas!
Prices have gone up. You are probably looking at more like $150 to
$200 instead of $100, but it depends on what mood they are in and just
how serious (and capable) you present yourself.

Offering to pay for the fuel does sound like a tire kicker to them.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

On the other hand, paying someone to have them demonstrate their equipment
is not something a customer should have to do.

I build and sell houses that go for $200K and up. Imagine if I used that
tactic.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 3rd 04, 10:45 PM
Matt Barrow

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

I've been working on starting my own company for quite some time now, and
about a month ago I sold my "nice" car and traded down to a very modest
little 2-door ford coupe to get rid of my monthly payments and extract

some
equity as the car was worth more than I owed on it. When I bought the car

it
had been my sign of arrival, that I finally was doing well enough to not
worry about every little bit. As I watched it drive away, I said, "well,

in
a year or so when the business starts to hum I'll get that Audi

convertible
I really want."

Sounds like the way I started. I got laid off from one of the big home
builders, and decided to go off on my own. My wife and I unloaded a bunch of
assets to cut expenses and have enough leverage to get capital to build four
houses. When they sold, we were sitting on some nice cash profits, but used
it and built ten more. Then again, did fourteen more. We did 30 in the first
two years.

After four years, I was doing 35-40 a year, bought a B36TC for cash, a Q45
for my wife (who had one before we unloaded it to start the company). We
did 57 homes in 2004, our sixth year.

Funny thing is, now that I've been driving my 1998 Escort around for a
month, I'm saying, "geez, this ain't so bad. Maybe I'll get the Chrysler
instead of the Audi and save the money for the plane/boat/condo."

Or the second home some where for summer/winter getaways. :~)

It's sometimes funny how skimping regularly on the little things can in

time
add up to enough to pay for the big ones. Living in a high-cost city does
not make this easy...

That's why I live in the booming metropolis of Montrose (pop. 13,800).

Okay...that and the fact the area is stunning in it's beauty.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 3rd 04, 10:48 PM
Matt Barrow

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

"T.Roger" wrote in message
m...

Any FEMALE Beech brokers out there that you know of?

Yeah, AAMOF! http://www.kansasaircraft.com

OK, any good looking female brokers... :-)

http://jerrychristian.com :)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 3rd 04, 11:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Matt Barrow wrote:

I build and sell houses that go for $200K and up. Imagine if I used that
tactic.

You allow people to live in one of your houses for a while before they decide to
buy it? That would be a demonstration of a house in exactly the same sense that
flying an aircraft is a demonstration of the plane.

I expect that what you do is allow prospective buyers to go to the house and
tour it before purchase. I would be *very* surprised to find that an aircraft
manufacturer won't allow someone to go to one of their dealers or the factory
and look at one of their planes.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old December 3rd 04, 11:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Henry A. Spellman" wrote:

My brother said, "Yes. I want to buy this automobile. How much is it?"

The salesman replied, "It is really expensive, and the upkeep is quite
high, too. But we have some really clean one owner used car out on the
lot. I would be happy to show them to you."

My brother said, "No. I want to buy this car. How much is it?"

The salesman again went through the nice clean used car bit.

Back about 1979, Dodge came out with a pint-sized pickup truck. I used to pass
one of the dealerships on my way home every day, so one day I stopped in. There
was no price sticker in the window -- I found out later that these were not
required on trucks at the time.

So I found a salesman who was heading across the lot and asked him how much it
was.

He said "That all depends on what you trade in."

I said "I'm not going to trade anything in. How much is it?"

He said "That depends on what you trade in."

After another iteration of that, I gave up. It was nearly 25 years before I set
foot in a Dodge dealership again. The next time I did, I was treated to a
lecture on why I would never find a truck for sale with a standard transmission.

I don't see any reason to set foot in another Dodge dealership again.

Ya know, I never saw one of those little pickups on the road. I wonder why?

Old December 4th 04, 12:34 AM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Matt Barrow wrote:

I build and sell houses that go for $200K and up. Imagine if I used that
tactic.

You allow people to live in one of your houses for a while before they decide to
buy it? That would be a demonstration of a house in exactly the same sense that
flying an aircraft is a demonstration of the plane.

I expect that what you do is allow prospective buyers to go to the house and
tour it before purchase. I would be *very* surprised to find that an aircraft
manufacturer won't allow someone to go to one of their dealers or the factory
and look at one of their planes.

Well, not quite. The essential function of a home is mostly static.
The essential function of an airplane or car is mostly dynamic. You can
evaluate a house pretty well by walking through it and looking it over.
You can't do the same with an airplane or a car.

Matt

Old December 4th 04, 02:57 AM
Dick

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
I am a licensed real estate agent. You would be amazed at some of the
people
walking in planning to buy a $200,000 home but have bad credit, no income,
$25,000 in credit card debt, etc.

I learned pretty quickly not to bother with someone who isn't
pre-qualified.

I have bought many houses and was never "pre-qualified." As someone else
said, it means jack-sh*t. You would be amazed at all the "realtors" out
there who have no idea what they are doing. I have had to fill out more
offers due to ignorance and timidness than I should have to because the
realtors had no idea what they were doing.

There is a saying in the business "Buyers are Liars".

I'm sure Piper, Cirrus and Tiger think you're another wanabe who wants a
free ride in one of their planes. They need some way to weed out the
rif-raf, and unfortunately, you're looking alot like rif-raf.

"Dan Engleman" wrote in message

"T.Roger" wrote in message
. com...
I don't have my ticket yet -- and I'm really committed because I want to
buy
my own plane to train and fly -- and I want to take advantage of the
tax
write-off about to expire at year end.///

I've been at this since August.
But, hell, they're not making it easy.

Hey T. Roger,

I feel your pain (well kinda). I mess with a little real estate and run

into
the same thing. In order to look at a property
you must be "pre-qualified" with many brokers. Well.......I may pay cash.

So
I am not going to go through the process of filling out a credit
application, etc.

There is a trade off on this though. Real estate agents and aircraft

dealers
don't have time to mess with all the "flakes" who would like to buy
something, but don't have the resourses.
You made the statement about "trying" to get financing for a 200k
purchase.....they probably picked up on that. Most people who want to
make

200k purchase don't have any doubt about getting the money, as I don't

have
any doubt about getting the money for real estate purchases.

Perhaps if you were a little more circumspect with them?????

Of course if you are 22 years old you will have to prove that you are a

rock
star, professional athlete, etc. :-)

Good luck,

Dan

Old December 4th 04, 03:07 AM
Steve Foley

OK, Please don't hire me as your agent.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Steve Foley wrote:

Remind me not to hire you as an agent. I can't tell you if I've ever

bought
or sold a house to a party that was "pre-qualified" which by the way,

pretty
much means squat anyhow.

Old December 4th 04, 03:38 AM
pickle

Steve Foley wrote:
I am a licensed real estate agent. You would be amazed at some of the people
walking in planning to buy a $200,000 home but have bad credit, no income,
$25,000 in credit card debt, etc.

I learned pretty quickly not to bother with someone who isn't pre-qualified.

There is a saying in the business "Buyers are Liars".

You're kidding, right?
There is no bigger liar in the world than someone trying
to sell something.
It's proven every day.

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 04 07:27 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 November 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM