Autogas Tips and Tricks

Old April 27th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_2_]

Default Autogas Tips and Tricks

With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF
Old April 27th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Trick number 1, find autogas without alcohol in it these days.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 27th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 26, 9:00 pm, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

wrote:
Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Trick number 1, find autogas without alcohol in it these days.

All the folks driving the Rotax 100hp engine
are using 91 octane mogas with about 5% alcohol
with no issues. I have no idea whether or not
that would be acceptable in a Lycoming or Continental.

Watch out if you have fibreglass tanks! Boaters are finding out (the
hard way) that the alcohol decomposes the resins into goo that gums up
carburetors, filters and lines.- Hide quoted text -

The FAA has never issued any STC's allowing for

Old April 27th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Mike Isaksen wrote:

I was talking to the Rotax guys (Lockwood or similar) and they mentioned the
same "ethanol up to 5% is OK" number. I got distracted and never asked the
followed up question re the problem that most east coast states typically
blend at 10%. Anyone heard or has any actual experience of running 10%.

It's more than just the engine. One of the problems with running ethanol
is that it may react with fuel system components that were not designed to
handle it. The engine manufacturer has no control over what goes into the
hoses, tanks, fuel pump diaphrams, etc...

That's the big problem with ethanol in most older aircraft. Ethanol wasn't
a factor when the fuel systems were designed and built in the 60s and 70s.
Ethanol can melt or swell some of the components used in those systems.

When I started using ethanal mogas in my old '69 Merc, I had composite
floats that turned to goo, and a couple of 1/4" rubber lines swelled up like
hot dogs.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 29th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:24:33 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote:

It's more than just the engine. One of the problems with running ethanol
is that it may react with fuel system components that were not designed to
handle it. The engine manufacturer has no control over what goes into the
hoses, tanks, fuel pump diaphrams, etc...

As it was told to me, this is the problem for the Cubs.