Prop Strikes

Old January 26th 05, 12:11 AM

Default Prop Strikes

Anyone else here ever experience one? How did yours happen?
Mine have been ag related and hit ground, rocks, birds, and ?
Ever throw off a piece of the prop blade? I lost a piece during
climbout of a jungle strip in the Amazon in a C-185. Managed to dead
stick it back without any further damage but it took nearly two months
to get a replacement. IN the meantime, I used a field expedient and cut
off an equal amount from the other blade. We were about 200 miles from
civilization on the Rio Curaray.
Ah the fun old days....
Ol S&B

Old January 26th 05, 02:32 AM
George Patterson

Anyone else here ever experience one?

Not yet.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old January 26th 05, 03:46 AM
Capt.Doug

wrote in message
Anyone else here ever experience one? How did yours happen?

Fly long enough and something will hit the fan.
I was taxiing out to the runway after a torrential downpour flooded the
ramp. I taxiied on the high spots at minimum power just in case. At minimum
power (flat pitch) the blade tips are actually causing reverse thrust
because of the twist in the blades. I thought I had missed the standing
water and the plane flew normally for the rest of the day (10 legs).

During a maintenance inspection that evening, I put a protractor on the
blades and they were indeed twisted more than the factory meant for them to
be. I had caught the blade tips in the water and the reverse angle of the
blade tips caused the blades to twist ever so slightly. The prop overhaul
with 4 new blades and an engine gearbox teardown came to around $24k not
including loss of use and the mechanics' salaries. The prop shop mentioned
that if I had not exercised caution by using minimum power, the blade tips
would have been nearly flat and wouldn't have twisted the blades. I've been
careful to be uncareful ever since.

D.

Old January 26th 05, 04:10 AM
Peter R.

George Patterson ) wrote:

wrote:

Anyone else here ever experience one?

Not yet.

Two types of pilots, those that have and those that will??

--
Peter

Old January 26th 05, 04:30 AM
George Patterson

"Peter R." wrote:

Two types of pilots, those that have and those that will??

I certainly hope not.

Old January 26th 05, 04:56 AM
Dan Thompson

I had two prop strikes on a twin when the nose gear wouldn't come down and I
had to land on the mains. Will never forget the tick-tick-tick of the prop
tips on the concrete. Or the short rollout. Or the jaunty angle when
deplaning.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 11:24 AM
John T Lowry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone else here ever experience one? How did yours happen?
Mine have been ag related and hit ground, rocks, birds, and ?
Ever throw off a piece of the prop blade? I lost a piece during
climbout of a jungle strip in the Amazon in a C-185. Managed to dead
stick it back without any further damage but it took nearly two months
to get a replacement. IN the meantime, I used a field expedient and
cut
off an equal amount from the other blade. We were about 200 miles from
civilization on the Rio Curaray.
Ah the fun old days....
Ol S&B

My prop strike was in an ultralight, an Sorrell SNS-8, in Billings. I
was practicing short field landings (for going into rancher friends'
strips) and braked too hard. Slowly...over it went. Cost about $500 in
(2-cycle) engine repairs, plus a new prop.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM