NOTAM

Old August 27th 04, 04:49 PM
C J Campbell

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

What are they going to do: take your model airplane license away?

Old August 27th 04, 05:06 PM
Ash Wyllie

Default NOTAM

I saw this in another forum.

--
The FAA released a Flight Advisory Thursday regarding the Republican National
Convention (RNC) scheduled for August 30-September 3 in New York City. The

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles." EAA advises pilots to check the latest

^^^^^^^^
NOTAMs before taking off on any flight. EAA advises pilots to check the
latest NOTAMs before taking off on any flight.

--

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old August 27th 04, 05:28 PM
DanH

C J Campbell wrote:

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

What are they going to do: take your model airplane license away?

I don't know, but does the FAA even have jurisdiction over model
airplanes and rockets? It seems you would have to get a city ordinance
or something like that to keep these from flying.
Old August 27th 04, 05:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"DanH" wrote in message

I don't know, but does the FAA even have jurisdiction over model
airplanes and rockets?

They have jurisdiction over higher-end rocketry, as I recall none over model
airplanes.

Old August 27th 04, 05:58 PM
Casey Wilson

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

What are they going to do: take your model airplane license away?

Wait! Don't they have to first intercept the intruding aircraft with a
pair of F-16s and escort the culprit to the nearest airport? With one ship
flying formation off the wing? And use hand signals if you don't answer
their radio calls on 121.5?
This is too good. How many Estes-E motors would you have to strap
together to lift a rocket carrying 4 ounces of C-4?

Old August 27th 04, 06:41 PM
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On 27 Aug 2004 11:6:54 -0500, "Ash Wyllie" wrote:

... Added to the NOTAM was
prohibition of "model aircraft operations, model rocketry, remotely operated

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles." EAA advises pilots to check the latest

^^^^^^^^
NOTAMs before taking off on any flight. EAA advises pilots to check the
latest NOTAMs before taking off on any flight.

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

The word is not part of our ordinary lingo.

According to google, the word "NOTAM" appears in rec.models.rc.air
only nine times--but the most recent was from yesterday and gives
the text verbatim as you did.

Marty

Old August 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:49:12 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

What are they going to do: take your model airplane license away?

They could close a lot of our flying fields, I imagine.

Marty
Old August 27th 04, 06:52 PM
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:36:47 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"DanH" wrote in message

I don't know, but does the FAA even have jurisdiction over model
airplanes and rockets?

They have jurisdiction over higher-end rocketry, as I recall none over model
airplanes.

The President of the Academy of Model Aeronautics recently visited
the FAA in Washington, D.C.:

"The meeting was to discuss the issue of FAA's future regulation of
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)—formerly referred to as Remotely
Piloted Vehicles (RPVs)—and its impact on model aviation. One of the
first things I learned was that there is a new designation for these
vehicles, the importance of which was not lost on me. The new
abbreviation and term are UA—Unmanned Aircraft.

"The reason for this change, or at least the effect of it, became
obvious later in the meeting. This change makes it very clear that the
FAA has jurisdiction over UAs and that they can be subjected to
certification and licensing requirements, just as with any other
aircraft.

"This may not seem significant, but it could become so. The FAA
doesn't give the impression that it wants to regulate model airplanes,
but it does have responsibility for all of the navigable airspace in
the United States, and we fly in that airspace. The people in the FAA
seem to want to ensure we integrate into that airspace without
creating a safety problem for its other users."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/0804/president.htm

Seems to me I've also seen some alititude restrictions imposed
on RC models flying near full-scale airfields. I think that at my
field (Reservoir Park, Lewiston, NY), we're technically
not supposed to go above 500 feet. Some of the larger
models (~40% scale) apparently can be seen on the radar
screens at Niagara Falls (IAG).

Marty

Old August 27th 04, 07:08 PM
Peter Duniho

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message
I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

That's a good question. If you recall the recent conversation about the TFR
that existed while Bush was here in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, he was
staying not even a mile from one of the most popular RC airfields around
here, and just a few miles from a second one.

There's a possibility they actually closed the closest; certainly I'd be
curious to learn whether they did or not. I think it's a pretty good bet it
didn't even occur to anyone to shut down the next closest one.

Of course, RC flyers exercise their rights at other than official airfields
too. I doubt there was any enforcement of those folks.

I am, of course, assuming that prohibition similar to that which you quoted
is just standard for any Presidential TFR. I don't know if that's true or
not though. If not, the language in the convention's TFR seems unwarranted
though.

Pete

Old August 27th 04, 07:10 PM
David Herman

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

I wonder how many modelers even know that NOTAMS even exist?

What are they going to do: take your model airplane license away?

Well, they might just shoot you.

If they intercept your killer Skyhawk and you don't land or respond to their
radio calls, wing-wags or flares, that's what I assume they would do to you
or me.

--
David Herman
N6170T 1965 Cessna 150E