Region 12 Soaring Map - Help the soaring community!

Old October 16th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Region 12 Soaring Map - Help the soaring community!

....I had some slack time tonight and cleaned up the coloring of
various thermal and wave spots.

Lots of good stuff is being added! Cindy's additions to the Cal
City / Caracole soaring area are making me jealous that you're moving
down there, Michael! :-)

--Noel

Old October 16th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic

This is pretty slick. It may help those of us in Region 11 when
flying south formulate a plan for long straight outs or long out and
returns in the right conditions. Speaking of which, anybody know if
there is something similar for Region 11? If not let's get one going.
Old October 17th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB

On Oct 15, 10:08*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
...I had some slack time tonight and cleaned up the coloring of
various thermal and wave spots.

Lots of good stuff is being added! *Cindy's additions to the Cal
City / Caracole soaring area are making me jealous that you're moving
down there, Michael! :-)

--Noel

Well, I had to go read the thread about Region 12 soaring.
And then I had to promote our site.
And then I had to browse a minute and touch up some spelling's.
But thanks, Noel, because I couldn't figure out how to change colors
of things
that I had posted... grrr.

I am a little reluctant to post things about "landout places", because
of the change
ability of those places by season or by summer thunderstorm, or the
variability of
pilot landing skills. What's good for Jane isn't guaranteed good for
Joe....
but I will add a couple others that should suit almost anyone.

Michael - may we link this through the SoCalSoaring web page, as a
Region 12 activity/resource?
How long does it live?
Can one of you techno-guys figure out a shorter URL link?

I have had SoCal - Caracole visitors use Google as a great tool to
"fly" a
course or the area before they come visit, and it is a great resource
for
getting oriented before you are here.

Navigation by pilotage is taught very little, and it is a primary
skill
for cross-country flying. Natural orientation is something that
occurs
at different levels of proficiency for each person. Then when you
throw
in our great visibility (90 miles today) and often great heights
above
terrain (23,700 on Saturday past), it is a whole new world to be
looking down upon.

Thanks Michael for getting this started! Maybe the other Regions will
enjoy starting their own map to share.

Cindy B
SSA Region 12 Director
www.ssa.org
www.socalsoaring.com
www.caracolesoaring.com

Old October 17th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Reid

Cindy,

Thanks for putting in all the information! Our philosophy for
information at Evergreen has been to put as much on the map as
possible with caveats if necessary. We had a landout early in the
season at a field that 2 weeks later was un-landable because of crop
growth, all that info went on the map! So i would encourage you to
put as much info as you can on the map. Also, just to make sure i've
made the correct connection to who you are, I believe we spoke during
a lazy Saturday back in August i was in town for a job interview in
Mojave anyway I'm looking forward to getting out and flying! Sure you
can link to the map, it will be up as long as google provides the
service! Unfortunately I can't do anything about the length of the
hyper-link though.

db_sonic,

Thanks for the input, there is actually a Region 11 map in the works
It's called V-S-A First Draft. link below:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...4d3f980c1c&z=7

They decided to input a way-point file and add info to the way points,
it ended up a bit cluttered but any info is better than no info.

Noel,

As always thanks for the help. I'm considering making wave areas a
different color than thermal areas so that they can overlap. If you
don't tow into the wave highlighting the area to thermal into the wave
will be helpful.

Thanks again to everyone for supporting this project, it's coming
along very nicely and lots of people are viewing the map!

Michael "BK"
Old October 17th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Cindy:

Of course we can do something about the URL length - just not with
Google. :-)
TinyURL.com provides a nice (free) service:

http://tinyurl.com/r12soaringmap

Ta-Da!

--Noel
(Who helped Cindy with the computer problems at the SSA convention,
too) *grin*

Old October 30th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB

--Noel
(Who helped Cindy with the computer problems at the SSA convention,
too) **grin*

Noel:

Clap, clap, clap.
You are the guy who brought my Dell back from her coffee break?
Thanks.

I have again thrown a pile of data onto the Region 12 Google Map.
This time I figured out how to change colors, opacity, line width.
Vary the icons. But I still can't load up photos.
You fellows can have a good chuckle, and enjoy my data.

Orion and Mark added a good bit too !
Sorry we don't have any Santa Ynez, Krey, or 29 Palms guys posting
onto this yet.

Maybe more next month.

Thanks for the tiny url.

Cindy

Old October 30th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Oct 29, 11:32*pm, CindyB wrote:
--Noel
(Who helped Cindy with the computer problems at the SSA convention,
too) **grin*

Noel:

Clap, clap, clap.
You are the guy who brought my Dell back from her coffee break?
Thanks.

I have again thrown a pile of data onto the Region 12 Google Map.
This time I figured out how to change colors, opacity, line width.
Vary the icons. *But I still can't load up photos.
You fellows can have a good chuckle, and enjoy my data.

Orion and Mark added a good bit too !
Sorry we don't have any Santa Ynez, Krey, or 29 Palms guys posting
onto this yet.

Maybe more next month.

Thanks for the tiny url.

Cindy

I seem to be having trouble viewing this map.
When I click on the sites I get a huge banner/description but it is
obviously in the wrong place.

What am I doing wrong?

little help please.

thanks,
Dan Rihn
WO
Old October 30th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Dan -

Are you using the TinyURL we made?

http://tinyurl.com/r12soaringmap

That seems to still be working fine when I test it. Can you see ANY
Google maps (http://maps.google.com)?

--Noel

Old October 30th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Oct 30, 2:30*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Dan -

Are you using the TinyURL we made?

http://tinyurl.com/r12soaringmap

That seems to still be working fine when I test it. *Can you see ANY
Google maps (http://maps.google.com)?

--Noel

yes, I can see google maps just fine when I open it up by itself.

Using your URL, I don'r get the scaling or zooming feature, they're
blank and then the problems as i described before. I also have this
problem on this lap top with X/C Skies. Maybe i should go back to my
older Windows 95 Laptop! It runs X/C better.

Dan
Old October 30th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Oct 30, 3:14*pm, Dan wrote:
On Oct 30, 2:30*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:

Dan -

Are you using the TinyURL we made?

http://tinyurl.com/r12soaringmap

That seems to still be working fine when I test it. *Can you see ANY
Google maps (http://maps.google.com)?

--Noel

yes, I can see google maps just fine when I open it up by itself.

Using your URL, I don'r get the scaling or zooming feature, they're
blank and then the problems as i described before. *I also have this
problem on this lap top with X/C Skies. *Maybe i should go back to my
older Windows 95 Laptop! *It runs X/C better.

Dan

OK....Got it figured out.
I just had to use the View in Google Earth button.....duh.....
sorry!

this looks great many thanks
Dan
WO