What do you think about ercoupe

Old August 26th 03, 11:54 PM
ianf

Default What do you think about ercoupe

I am a low time pilot 100 hours who has time on 150's 172 (new and
old) and on a warrior.

A friend (also low time)and myself want to partner on a plane so we
can build time, go on overnight trips without daily minima and just
generally improve our flying skills. One day or aim is a float plane
or flying boat.

In the interim we are starting to save toward the purchase of a plane
2 place or four place. He is 240lb i am 150lb.

I have seen some adds for ercoupe's and they seem to be quite
inexpensive.

i am wondering about what opinions people have about the ercoupe or
other advice on plane to buy.

172 would be likely candidate as it would probably be a comfortable 2
place (in reality for us)

thanks
Old August 27th 03, 01:39 AM
Justin Case

Great little plane, you'll love it. Be very careful of the repairs
that were completed over the years. Ercoupe owners tend to be some of
the cheapest SOB's on the planet, and too many have had backyard parts
substituted for airplane stuff. You'll probably want one that has a
new center section recently (last 20 years) and make sure the wings
are impeccable on the inside. Some spars are suffering from
intergranular corrosion which probably originated at the manufacturing
company (Can't build nothing to last 55 years any more!) Be very
careful of any and all modifications, regardless of what the owners
tells you. Make sure the logs are good. If you're looking at a 75
hp, measure the length of the prop. make sure it is to spec (I can't
remember how long it needs to be). The CD is a great version and any
coupe with the 100 hp conversion is a blast. The best ones made were
Forneys with the 90 hp engine. When you get into the Alons and
Mooneys, remember that you can't fly with the canopy open, which is
one of the most endearing traits of this little "driver". Rag wings
are better than metal, no pedals are better than pedals. Remember
weight is a very important factor, so even a 5 pound load should be
thought out. Try to keep it as simple as possible, you don't need all
the bells and whistles, same amount of people will look at it
regardless of equipment. Polished is nice, but at PITA. paint adds
about 70 pounds to the airframe!!! Good luck. $10 to 15K should get
you a good one.

Old August 27th 03, 02:45 AM
G.R. Patterson III

ianf wrote:

In the interim we are starting to save toward the purchase of a plane
2 place or four place. He is 240lb i am 150lb.

i am wondering about what opinions people have about the ercoupe or
other advice on plane to buy.

These planes are always popular with the kids at Young Eagles flights. Watch
the load carefully, though. Depending on age and type (several companies made
them) and optional equipment, they will carry 450 to 500 pounds, more or less.
They hold 24 gallons, so, if you and your partner want to fly together, you
will probably want to leave the tanks down a bit.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.