Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old February 4th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Robert M. Gary writes:

Aren't you even curious what its like flying a non-simulated
airplane?

Sure, but not curious enough to spend the time and money required to take a
ride.

All the time you've spent on the simulator you could have easily
earned the money for several flights using that time working in a
coffee shop.

I've spent about 2000 hours flying in the past 36 months. If I had worked
that time at a minimum-wage job in a coffee shop, I would have earned roughly
enough by now to pay for just 40-50 hours in a real aircraft--and that ignores
the cost of getting a license to fly in the first place. If you count the
cost of getting a license, I would not yet have flown my first hour in real
life as a licensed pilot.

That price/performance ratio is almost inexpressibly bad. As a result, and
given that there is no sine qua non for me in real flight that bars the use of
simulation, simulation gives me orders of magnitude more "bang for the buck"
in terms of enjoyment. In fact, it's one of the cheapest hobbies and
leisure-time activities that I can think of.

Additionally, there are some things that are possible in simulation that would
not be possible for me in real life (such as, say, piloting a 747
cross-country), which further argues in favor of simulation. I've listed some
of the key advantages of simulation here before.

At least that's the way I think.

Unfortunately, the numbers don't work out.

You could probably earn
enough money in less than a month redirecting your simulation time to
a coffee shop and then would at least know what you are missing.

A month in a coffee shop would pay for about an hour of flight in a real
airplane. Compare 55 hours of work at minimum wage for one hour flying to 40
minutes of work for 55 hours of flying, and there is absolutely no
contest--simulation wins hands-down.
Old February 4th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

It doesn't require taking unnecessary risks, however.

Which is why Anthony lives in a hovel and can't find a job.

Old February 4th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

The only cost of flying for me is electricity, which is about $0.03 per
hour
of flight. That's one of the things that favors it as a leisure-time
activity.

Just more in Anthony's long list of excuses as to why he can't fly.

Old February 4th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

Name some of the people you have worked for and tell us why you don't work
for them any longer.

Old February 4th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jon writes:

It's the difference between actually having the access to the
information. I work with the folks at NAIMES, I've done actual work on
some of their systems. They are hard working folks with integrity.

So why are these Web pages secured with SSL, and why are they secured by a
certificate that isn't included in many browsers?

Quite likely the same reason I have some things secured with SSL with
a self-signed certificate.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 4th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

So, it sounds like your fundamental problem is finding and holding a real
job- perhaps you should start there.

Old February 4th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 4, 8:38*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:

All the time you've spent on the simulator you could have easily
earned the money for several flights using that time working in a
coffee shop.

I've spent about 2000 hours flying in the past 36 months. *If I had worked
that time at a minimum-wage job in a coffee shop, I would have earned roughly
enough by now to pay for just 40-50 hours in a real aircraft--and that ignores
the cost of getting a license to fly in the first place. *If you count the
cost of getting a license, I would not yet have flown my first hour in real
life as a licensed pilot.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the cost of getting a
license" but if I were sitting there thinking I could have used the
2000 hours I spent playing with the sim for the last 36 months to earn
the money to fly 40-50 hours I would be kicking myself pretty hard
about now.

-Robert
Old February 4th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

The moron averages nearly 18 full time weeks a year playing his game. If he
worked half of that time he could have an instrument rating and his own
plane by now.

Old February 4th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 4, 12:12*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
The moron averages nearly 18 full time weeks a year playing his game. If he
worked half of that time he could have an instrument rating and his own
plane by now.

I believe he's in Paris. There are *lots* of coffee house type jobs in
the city. He could run one of those crape carts and get a chance to
get out and see people and get out of him apartment and some fresh
air.

-Robert