Quantico mishap?

Old October 3rd 04, 03:11 PM
Pechs1

DrDoom- Not to second guess the driver, but if I had just
touched down on the deck, and on centerline, but not
able to stop - with a soft marsh at the end of the
strip..... I'd have just gone along for the ride &
NOT bailed out BRBR

Hank Kleeman made that decision and died after the A/C ended up inverted.
Jumping out was a good choice, IMO_
Can't be sure the A/C would end up 'sneakers down'.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 5th 04, 02:47 AM
Jim Calpin

This is consistent with the fact that VMFA-321 has been decommed, and
their jets were off to the Boneyard or sticks.

-Jim C.

Frijoles wrote:

Jet was going to Quantico to become a popsicle. Short runway (approx 4 K')
was likely a contributing factor.

"Allen Epps" wrote in message
et...
In article , Ogden Johnson
III wrote:

Greasy Rider wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" proclaimed:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...004/1095702046

If that is a photo of a "minor" incident then I'd hate to see some
serious damage to an aircraft.

The aircraft ran off the runway into a marshy area, at least as
the article describes. By NavAir standards, that probably will
be classed as a "minor" mishap [not incident] based on the $$
amount required to repair the aircraft. What can be seen of the
fuselage/wings doesn't show extensive damage, and the nose end
/may/ not have much damage if it also impacted wet lands rather
than the embankment it is obscured by. It will certainly make a
trip to NARF [or whatever they're calling them these days],
before being returned to VMA-321.

At least a year ago when I left VAQ-209 (we shared a hangar) , 321 was
flying A models so I would guess it just gets sent off to fire fighting
school or something and they pull another one from the boneyeard or
wherever A's went when the C's hit the fleet (and are now leaving the
fleet)

Pugs