Blue Angels and Thunderbirds

Old October 19th 03, 06:47 PM
Hilton

Default Blue Angels and Thunderbirds

Hi,

Just a quick report back about only 5 Blue Angels at Fleet Week and the
resumption of shows by the Thunderbirds after Solo 6 ejected.

Blue Angels: I was at the Salinas Airshow yesterday. I heard an announcer
mention that one of the performances was dedicated to a member of the Blue
Angels whose wife had passed away.

Thunderbirds: Only 5 were in the performance. I would guess that Capt
Stricklin is not able to fly shows. With the season ending in 3 weeks, it's
anyones guess if he'll fly again this year or next. I wish him everything
that would help him get back in the air. These guys are superb. I sure am
glad he didn't get hurt.

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it was
that stealthy.

Hilton

Old October 19th 03, 07:03 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Hilton" wrote in message
BTW: I saw the F-117A

Well, then,,,, it couldn't be all that stealthy if ya SAW it! GRIN wink...

I missed out on both events. Blue Angels 'cause we were getting a new car
for my wife (PT Cruiser she always wanted) and gotta admit that while I
don't mind the thought of FLYING to Salinas (I've been there a couple of
times),, the thought of DRIVING there was too unpleasant to contemplate.

Do you have any pictures??

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old October 19th 03, 07:39 PM
Hilton

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
"Hilton" wrote in message
I missed out on both events. Blue Angels 'cause we were getting a new car
for my wife (PT Cruiser she always wanted) and gotta admit that while I
don't mind the thought of FLYING to Salinas (I've been there a couple of
times),, the thought of DRIVING there was too unpleasant to contemplate.

Just to get onto 101 from Fleet Week took 3 hours! However, the drive to
and from SNS was quite painless as it has been each year. Travis AFB was
still the best when it comes to traffic coordination BTW.

Do you have any pictures??

No, but I recently visited their base at Nellis. Check out the pics at:
http://www.hiltonswebsite.com/Aviation/ThunderbirdsTour

Oh and how could I forget. Each Thunderbird had a camera in the cockpit and
they were showing the pilots CLOSE UP during each maneuver - way cool.

And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with a jet!
Each time he needed a boost, he fired that jet - it's amazing to see a
bi-plane literally rocketting up. Even stranger when there is some guy
standing on the wing! I don't think I'll ever be able to watch non-jet
aerobatics again.

Also, it was good seeing Wayne back in the air...

Hilton

Old October 19th 03, 07:59 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch non-jet
aerobatics again.

Ahh... do I detect that you will be going for a type rating for a jet
soon????

Old October 19th 03, 10:33 PM
BTIZ

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it was
that stealthy.

Hilton

well.. stealthy is not how easy it is to "see" with your Mark-I eyeball...
but painted black for night flying does help..

The STEALTH is how it looks on RADAR.. what type of radar return it
REFLECTS..

BT

Old October 19th 03, 10:44 PM
Bob Martin

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it
was
that stealthy.

Hilton

well.. stealthy is not how easy it is to "see" with your Mark-I eyeball...
but painted black for night flying does help..

The STEALTH is how it looks on RADAR.. what type of radar return it
REFLECTS..

I may be wrong, but I think he was trying to make a bit of a joke...

Old October 20th 03, 01:45 AM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article HqDkb.54323$La.52035@fed1read02,
"BTIZ" wrote:

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it was
that stealthy.

well.. stealthy is not how easy it is to "see" with your Mark-I eyeball...
but painted black for night flying does help..

The STEALTH is how it looks on RADAR.. what type of radar return it
REFLECTS..

Black paint is for nighttime low observable (LO) qualities--visual
stealth. Seems to be a significant mission requirement for lots of
military aircraft. I initially was going to say "these days," but WW2
airplanes were sky blue on the bottom sometimes, weren't they?

I don't recall the details, but I think I saw someone actually trying
the active camouflage that Dale Brown (Day of the Cheetah?) put it a
book years ago. The aircraft essentially shows you a picture of what's
on the other side, making it disappear.

- Nathan
Old October 20th 03, 01:54 AM
Craig Prouse

"Nathan Gilliatt" wrote:

Black paint is for nighttime low observable (LO) qualities--visual
stealth. Seems to be a significant mission requirement for lots of
military aircraft. I initially was going to say "these days," but WW2
airplanes were sky blue on the bottom sometimes, weren't they?

I understand that pink is actually a better color for night camouflage, but
there are problems with getting macho military pilots to fly pink airplanes,
so we make do with black paint instead.

Old October 20th 03, 02:02 AM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article ,
Craig Prouse wrote:

I understand that pink is actually a better color for night camouflage, but
there are problems with getting macho military pilots to fly pink airplanes,
so we make do with black paint instead.

When I was in college, the campus feminist group had a print ad with a
fighter jet on their wall of shame, pointing out the obvious phallic
symbol. I wonder if painting it pink would have pleased them? Kind of
tough on the male ego, though--except maybe worse on the guy in the
other plane who just got shot down by the "girl" fighter...
Old October 20th 03, 02:36 AM
EDR

In article ,
Nathan Gilliatt wrote:

I don't recall the details, but I think I saw someone actually trying
the active camouflage that Dale Brown (Day of the Cheetah?) put it a
book years ago. The aircraft essentially shows you a picture of what's
on the other side, making it disappear.

Check Out Dean Ing's books.