Sectional charts and See You

Old July 9th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Sectional charts and See You

I paid a few pounds for iGlide Light out of curiosity. I also have XC Soar on a Nexus 7. For the record I way prefer SYM on the GliderGuider to either.. I like the UI, I don't understand your issues with the touchscreen (I never use the stylus), I like the ability to customize the display and to create custom buttons, I find task setting or changing easier than with any other software I have tried, and anything I want to do in flight is easily done. The documentation and support are not perfect but better than for any of the others.

For what its worth, when I first tried SeeYou Mobile in its early days I preferred to stick with Winpilot, but in due course SYM got better and WP did not keep up. There may come a time when I feel that LK8000 or XCS have overtaken in ease of use and presentation (I accept they are already more feature rich) but that time is not yet. Meanwhile I hope for a little changed version of SYM to run on Android to give us a better choice of upcoming hardware.

And also meanwhile I am using the fabulous LX9000 in the glider I am flying most.
Old July 9th 13, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I presume that eye strain is down to how the display is set up - font sizes, backgrounds and so on. We should have a way to compare the screen setups we use (the choice and setup of airspace and waypoint files is equally significant). I like SYM, but what I really like is the way I have it set up.
Old July 9th 13, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 8, 2013 5:54:34 PM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
[...]

The Avier that I have has a very course touch screen that requires a fairly heavy touch. The small radio buttons in SYM on several of the screens are nearly impossible to hit with a finger. You can try, and try, and try, then try a carefully positioned fingernail and eventually get it. I don't know if it is Avier, or *this* Avier, or what. Something like a swipe requires enough force to practically shoot the thing out the window.

Any user interface experience is going be colored by personal preference. I find SYM to be verbose and disorganized. Reminds me of a bad PC program from the '90s, which, or course, is where it is from.
Old July 11th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Quite a few people at my club now have GliderGuiders. I have not heard any complaints about the touch screen (a couple of years ago early Oudie's had bad touchscreens, but that was solved with a new screen driver.

I understood that the Avier was the same device as the GliderGuider. I now wonder if that is correct - it would only take a different screen driver to account for our different experiences. Does anyone know?
Old July 11th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Old July 11th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Old July 11th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:51:13 PM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Quite a few people at my club now have GliderGuiders. I have not heard any complaints about the touch screen (a couple of years ago early Oudie's had bad touchscreens, but that was solved with a new screen driver.

I understood that the Avier was the same device as the GliderGuider. I now wonder if that is correct - it would only take a different screen driver to account for our different experiences. Does anyone know?

I have much less trouble with it on XCSoar, probably because the buttons are typically large enough for an adult finger. But the touchscreen seems to be a pressure sensitive thing very similar to the original Palm. If could fix it with a new driver, I'd sure like to get that....