T-6 landing on Hwy 41 at OSH

Old July 29th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default T-6 landing on Hwy 41 at OSH

Maybe this was discussed while we were in OSH, but this is a pretty
amazing piece of State Trooper video...

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

Or http://tinyurl.com/2cwh6y if the one above wraps...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe this was discussed while we were in OSH, but this is a pretty
amazing piece of State Trooper video...

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

I think the trooper gave him a ticket for not using his blinker when he
merged with traffic.

--
Danny Deger

NASA offered me $15,000 to take down my web site. Take a look and see why.
www.dannydeger.net

Old July 31st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

The T-6 pilot is really quite lucky. We land on alot of highways (EMS
aeromedical helicopter) and where there are roads, inevitably there
are wires. We end up rejecting more than a few LZ's because of wires,
even on the interstate. I wouldn't be worried about cars, I'd be
worried about wires...

He lucked out.

-Ryan in Madison

Old July 31st 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Clough

Jay Honeck wrote:
Maybe this was discussed while we were in OSH, but this is a pretty
amazing piece of State Trooper video...

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

Or http://tinyurl.com/2cwh6y if the one above wraps...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Happened to walk out of restaurant on the Highway 41 frontage road just
after the guy landed and they were towing him down the road to Fond du
Lac airport.

What I don't get is why he didn't land at the airport itself? The
runway is parallel to the highway, about a quarter mile from the
highway, and free of cars and wires.

Maybe he landed at a different stretch of the road and I just saw the
tailend of his towing to the airport? Anyone know the stretch of 41
where he put down?

Bob
Old August 1st 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 29, 2:29 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Maybe this was discussed while we were in OSH, but this is a pretty
amazing piece of State Trooper video...

I couldn't tell from the video, but wondered whether his prop was
still spinning when he landed on the freeway. If anyone ever has to do
a similar landing, I should note that in April 2004 a plane with
engine trouble landed on an Interstate near the Concord, CA airport.
The only serious injury occurred when his spinning prop cut through
the side of a van and sliced into a young girl's leg. At first, the
doctors thought they would have to amputate, but were able to save her
leg.

It doesn't seem like there's any good reason to have a spinning prop
when you're landing on a road, and a very good reason not to. Yet, I
can see where cutting the power just before touching down would not
likely be on the pilot's mind.

Old August 1st 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
[...]

I assume that in most cases of highway landing that the engine isn't running
or running so poorly that cutting the power isn't an option. If it is
running at all the pilot would want to keep what power he has in order the
retain as much control as possible.

Also just shutting off the engine doesn't stop the prop from windmilling. To
do that you have to have a prop that fully feathers and even then they don't
always stop fully.

Old August 1st 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Unmitigated bushwa. Most aircraft engines (fixed pitch & CS prop) will stop
the prop at normal glide speeds.

Never had an engine failure, have you?

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Old August 1st 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

RST Engineering wrote
Unmitigated bushwa. Most aircraft engines (fixed pitch & CS prop)
will stop the prop at normal glide speeds.

Not a chance Jim... In every Cessna, Piper, and Beech that I have
used for instruction, I would have to slow to nearly stall in order
to stop the prop. And yes, I did do fuel shut-off demonstations
for all of my students. 3-4,000' over the airport of course. :-)

Bob Moore
Old August 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Every chance, Bob. Back in the '60s when I did my primary training it was
quite common for the instructor to pull the plug over the airport and have
you "make" the field. The prop on the 0-200 150 stopped at best glide
speed.

In the O-300 172 I took into the bridge at Grass Valley with dual mag
failure, the prop stopped at best glide speed.

In the O-470 182 I put onto the dragstrip at Hanna with a blown jug, the
prop stopped at best glide speed.

Sorry, them's the facts.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
RST Engineering wrote